WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > General Wrestling Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 06-05-2017, 01:16 AM
Welcome to the Warzone.
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default In What Way Has CM Punk's Pipebomb Promo Hurt Wrestling?

Now before you pelt me with bricks, I will state for the record that Punk's pipebomb he cut back in '11 did a hell of a lot of good for the business. It helped introduce the indy scene to a bigger audience, paved the way for smaller wrestlers to get a chance to be taken seriously in WWE, and ultimately changed the way people look at wrestling in general.

However; I recently came across this one video from a wrestling 'mark' that I've been subscribed to for a while now claiming that the inverse actually happened with the pipebomb.

Have a Look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Ly0un3xtA

Now personally, I thought the video; while it had some merit behind it wasn't really executed that well and very overdramatic even by wrestling geek's standards.

But it did get me thinking...in many ways, we've talked about how C.M Punk's pipebomb helped wrestling. But in what ways has his pipebomb hurt it?

#WildcatWayz
Cat of Controversy, Writer of Wrestling
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:29 AM

JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...

This YouTube guys sounds like a fucking moron. "CM Punk crossed the boundaries of reality and kayfabe." Um did that idiot not see the curtain call? I bet he's like those moronic Smarkbuster idiots.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:08 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...

Nothing. It created a mega star in Punk and was a very well worked promo. It did everything it was designed to do. The only negative thing about this is Punk being forced to work with Nash - who was 51 at the time and had peaked some 17 years prior to this.

His feud with HHH did not really go anywhere either but at least it was not boring in the ring.

As for the general accusations that it harmed WWE too - it never did. This must have been from someone who never watched WWE during the Attitude Era.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.

Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMallard View Post
This YouTube guys sounds like a fucking moron. "CM Punk crossed the boundaries of reality and kayfabe." Um did that idiot not see the curtain call? I bet he's like those moronic Smarkbuster idiots.
He did say he was a fan of the Smarkbusters.

Really, smarks and marks are one of the same, except that smarks have 'dirt sheet connections' and claim to know everything. Marks are just that, people who don't exactly know how the wrestling industry works and when it works in their favor, they don't know what to do with it.

#WildcatWayz
Cat of Controversy, Writer of Wrestling
Old 06-05-2017, 11:02 PM

JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWE66 View Post
He did say he was a fan of the Smarkbusters.

Really, smarks and marks are one of the same, except that smarks have 'dirt sheet connections' and claim to know everything. Marks are just that, people who don't exactly know how the wrestling industry works and when it works in their favor, they don't know what to do with it.
That totally explains why the guy sounds like a total moron and has no ground to stand on.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:58 PM
WWE Champion
Knockout Champion

Messiah is looking to come up from OCW...Messiah is looking to come up from OCW...Messiah is looking to come up from OCW...Messiah is looking to come up from OCW...

It was just a promo.. It didn't help or hurt wrestling.. I don't even remember what was said in the promo it meant so little at the time.. Fans like to talk about it because they're stupid, but it was just a promo complaining about being misused.. Like it or not, it is what it is.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Remarkable Mark Keaton
Million Dollar Champion

Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...

It hurts wrestling because C.M Punk will NEVER go away for Punkamaniacs. C.M Punk was way overrated and botched alot during his matches. The one thing Punk will be remembered for is his "Pipe Bomb" promo and his long boring title run.

"I'm a Mog. Half man and half dog, I'm my own best friend."
Old 06-06-2017, 07:14 PM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

It didn't hurt or help the WWE in the long-term. It was basically just a promo that got a lot of people talking for a short time.

It also almost single-handedly led to the creation one of the most interesting characters to come along in like, forever. So there was that.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:00 AM
WWE Women's Champion

Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ヒュー G. レックション View Post
Did ratings even go up during this time?
Yes they did a bit. Not that much though. Though main story was that they got main stream attention with that promo. Which was fine by WWE standards. His push was mishandled later on with Del Rio and HHH and Nash stuff but he was really fine until that and really looked like mega star.

Last edited by Kodo Sawaki : 06-07-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:16 AM
I know my name/avi/sig don't match.

The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...The Life Of Pablo Ren scored a win over Santino Marella...

Every good promo now is called a pipebomb so yeah that's kind of annoying.

You could make the argument that the promo and Punk's subsequent rise is a pretty big contributing factor to the crowds being more vocal about who they like and who they don't like or just why they're more vocal in general. And if you don't like that then yeah sure I guess he did hurt wrestling that way but I don't mind it. It sure beats the WWE crowds of 2008-2011 which were some of the deadest crowds I've ever heard.