WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment > WWE Pay Per Views
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-16-2017, 02:36 PM
WWE Women's Champion

Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...

People expect too much from it. Its just filler match that is mostly not even on the main card. Its not Royal Rumble, its not MiTB, its just filler for people who have nothing to do. Kinda like participation trophy at science fair.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:21 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Radical worked a dark match on ECW recently...Radical worked a dark match on ECW recently...Radical worked a dark match on ECW recently...Radical worked a dark match on ECW recently...Radical worked a dark match on ECW recently...Radical worked a dark match on ECW recently...Radical worked a dark match on ECW recently...Radical worked a dark match on ECW recently...Radical worked a dark match on ECW recently...

The reality is this match was made to be a filler match. It was made so that any wrestler on the roster that didn't have a feud or a bigger match planned could still be a part of the biggest show of the year.

WWE don't want the burden of giving a distinct implication to the winner of the match because I'm sure they feel it ties their hands too much to have to make a feud happen out of a filler match on the card.

BUT I do think they could have planned the progression of events around the match better since the start.

I think Big Show winning the FIRST Battle Royal would have been better as a honor to Big Show's service to WWE AND would make for a bigger impact NEXT YEAR when Cesaro eliminates the first winner in grand and emphatic fashion. I think that would have set the winners off on a better path.

Otherwise, I think it is fine to just use the Battle Royal as basically an experiment to see if fans could care more about a certain talent. If it works, great, if not, no big deal.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:40 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

There are two issues...

One, they already HAVE a much harder battle royale with something riding on it... The Royal Rumble. If they give a title shot for the World title to the winner, it devalues the much more "on paper" difficult Rumble match. If they go with a "mid card title" shot then it pigeon holes whoever wins it as a mid card guy.

The second is even now they're putting it on the pre-show, not the main show. If there are consequences, they have to commit to it being on the main segment of the Wrestlemania show...and they seem reluctant to do it, toploading the card with the "bigger names" and giving the others the slot on he pre-show.

Now - what I think would be interesting IF they were going to have stips for it, and how they have done things this year - Whoever wins gets to PICK their brand at the Shakeup/Draft. That alone is a great angle for someone, especially if they don't choose for a period of time after Mania and become "the hottest free agent".

Storylines can be around GM's "wooing" them over or trying to convince them to stay... maybe title shots could then be offered as part of that if they wanted to use it to rocket launch someone.

It's then like MITB but without the guaranteed title match... at any point in the following 3 months (rule is they have to choose by end of June) then they can declare their side... Imagine Brock seems on course for retaining and the winner of the Andre was Bray Wyatt - he could announce his staying by costing Brock the title... likewise a new arrival from Smackdown...

If you're going to do any kind of stip - this is the only one that really works.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:12 AM
Registered Suplex Offender
WWE Diva's Champion

Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...

It's fine as it is. Most people want it to be the new King of the Ring or something along those lines, whereas it's really just meant to give the jobbers and everyone left off the card something to do at Mania.

The Andre Battle having to mean something pigeonholes creative. Every year they have to give out that trophy and then push someone that they might not have really had plans to push. This is a big part of the reason why they stopped KOTR being annual in the first place.

Giving out the Andre trophy annually is really more of a formalization of the WrestleMania battle royal that has been happening for years any way. It was never meant to be anything other than that, and a way to honour the Giant.

Cesaro one, most want Cesaro to succeed because he's crazy good at wrestling, WWE doesn't see the charisma in him, so losing streak.

Big Show had to win it as the only other giant, but he's on the tail end of his career, so he's fed to Reigns.

Great way to debut Corbin, but it's his first year and being pushed to the top too fast rarely works. Sheamus' years of lukewarm reaction are proof, Brock is the exception.

Fastforward to Mojo, who only won for the mainstream attention that would come with Gronk interfering at Mania. That's it, Rawley might get a lower card push for a while, but he'll be back doing Hype Bros before the end of the year.

Do we really want Mojo vs KO right now? Did we want Corbin going immediately into a midcard title feud and risking the throat shove effect? We all wanted Cesaro to win, but that has to be the exception.

As cool as it would be to have the Andre Battle Royal really matter, it would be a bigger mess and find itself dropped within a few years. As it is, it's just some flavour dressing of formalization on top of an existing process.

But yeah, in its current incarnation it's fairly pointless. Making the Andre win a title shot of some kind requires top talent to be put into the match, whereas they can be used in better ways outside of it and get title shots anyway.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:27 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...Spencesc11 is looking to come up from OCW...

I think I would have the winner get a US Title Match at Wrestlemania later that night. This would bring more prestige to the match and also give the winner a push that could start even at Mania itself!!!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Who Am I?
ECW TV Champion

ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencesc11 View Post
I think I would have the winner get a US Title Match at Wrestlemania later that night. This would bring more prestige to the match and also give the winner a push that could start even at Mania itself!!!
But that would lead to a title match without any feud or something. What I thought was that have the winner of Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal get a midcard title shot. Be it InterContinental or United States Championship. Then build a match between the challenger and champion for the upcoming PPV.

Mojo looks good as of now. I just read him getting win over Dolph Ziggler at a live event. Let's see what lies in future for him.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:28 AM
Knockout Champion

justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Look, I get it. You see the name Andre The Giant, and you think the match should be more than it is. But the reality is that they're using Andre's name to make the match seem more important than it's actually intended to be. I'm guessing if it were just the "Wrestlemania Battle Royal" or the "Wrestlemania pre-show Battle Royal," there'd be no one thinking a stipulation was necessary.

But because it's named after a legendary figure, suddenly it needs to be more than it is? I don't think so... It is what it is. I match that rewards the undercard guys like Fandango and R-Truth, allowing them a chance to perform at Wrestlemania. It's a match that allows some of the midcard guys like Zayn and Braun to perform at Wrestlemania without the company having to book an additional 5 matches to a card that already runs way too long.

That's all it really needs to be. Not every match needs a stipulation. Not every moment needs to lead to a bigger moment. It is OK for a match to be booked for no other reason than because of how it benefits the specific card. This match perfectly accomplishes its main objectives and really doesn't need to be changed.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:13 PM
Friendly Neighborhood
WWE Diva's Champion

@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...@smarkmouth scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinChan View Post
But that would lead to a title match without any feud or something.
Not necessarily. An immediate challenger gives the champ a reason to have eyes on the match. No reason he can't rub shoulders with a handful of would-be challengers in the weeks building up to WrestleMania. It won't be the hottest program going into Mania, but it's something.

I like the idea, but not as a yearly stipulation. There should be a reason for the champ defending their title against the winner later that night. Top of my head, say if Baron was IC champ heading into 'Mania. Having won the past years Andre-Royal, it would make sense for him to plant his feet and defend his title against the winner in the same evening.

No. No one else misses Rybaxel

Last edited by @smarkmouth : 04-17-2017 at 12:18 PM.