WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > General Wrestling Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-08-2015, 10:18 AM

noTORRIEus is looking to come up from OCW...

I'm going to go in a different direction and speak about someone in today's wrestling and go with Ryback.

He is a total mark for himself and is way too serious. I've read others saying this numerous times, hell, watch Table for 3 with Ryback, DBry and Miz. I was a fan of his and watching made me stop, even the Mrs. said "he needs to get a sense of humor and stop taking things so serious."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:14 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...

Gotta go with Hogan, Brotha. Protecting your character is part of the sport but he carried it excessively far when he didn't have to as he was a legend in the sport.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:11 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Ole Anderson - He felt he was always right, even when he was wrong. He had a great run in the territories with Gene Anderson and later in his career with Arn. It's just when he got on the booking side it was his way or the highway. He was not opened minded and was part of GCW being sold to Vince McMahon in the 80s. He eliminated the top stars from GCW and was paying himself the most money. GCW went under because they were making no money(to his credit their TV program was pulling in 6.0s every week) He felt Hogan wasn't going to be a draw and sent him up to McMahon(I believe Hogan was with Verne Gagne before going to WWE).

Anyway he was probably famous for being apart of the original Horsemen(which he was snubbed from the WWE HOF). Rounded up his in ring career around '90 or '91. Was on the booking side in WCW and ultimately couldn't get them anywhere, nor could Dusty Rhodes or Bill Watts. Once Eric Bischoff came in, wasn't long after that - Ole Anderson was gone, I believe terminated.

Today he's an ornery old man - I saw him at the Mid-Atlantic fanfest during the summer(as I do every year it's to the point he knows me). He admits to not watching the current day product and has a personal hatred for Ric Flair, Vince McMahon, Erlc Bischoff, Lanny Poffo to name a few.

Teddy Long was at the event. He teased me for my lengthy conversation with Ole when I was seeking an autograph from him. Teddy admitted he hadn't spoken to Ole in quite some years he refused to acknowledge he was there. Citing that Ole was all about himself and how much money he could make. Which put GCW's failure into perspective.

He does have a lot of knowledge of the business and it takes some time to adjust to his personality. Threaten to push him out his wheelchair and he lightens up. If he wasn't so sure of himself all the time he would've been a very valuable asset to NXT. Unfortunately for him he's a grumpy old man being an ass in shoot interviews.

Lex Luger would've went in Ole's place but Lex has become more and more humble each year I see him at the fanfest. I almost show sympathy for him - he's in bad shape and this year he was in an electric wheel chair. He resides in Charlotte now and is heavily involved in a non-profit organization with a wrestler whose name has slipped my mind at the moment.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:24 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

shalliin is looking to come up from OCW...shalliin is looking to come up from OCW...shalliin is looking to come up from OCW...

A whole page and neither Ric FLair or Vince McMahon has been listed? What have people been doing for the last 30 years? No one is more full of themselves and their own self importance in the biz then these two men. VM has tried so hard to get out of the biz with his power lifting league in early 90's then his football league around 2002 or so, and every thing he's done outside of the biz has failed while he's been struggling for almost 20 years to keep people interesting in a falling field of interesting.
Flair, well I don't feel need to point to any specifics, but pretty much every minute of his career has been about pushing himself beyond any one else in any company or in his life, with what 4/5 marriages that failed, bringing his kids into the biz and propping them up when they struggled to find their own identities outside of him.

Flair and Vince are the worst of all offenders.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:33 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

shalliin is looking to come up from OCW...shalliin is looking to come up from OCW...shalliin is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Phenom View Post
I have to go with Bret Hart as well. If you listen to any of his interviews now a days, he can almost be described as petty with some of the things he has said. Chief among them being when he called 'Taker/HHH from WM 28 a 4 out of 10 match. Saying he called move for move what the two of them were going to do and what have you. I mean, come on; really? Also, there was one interview that I've just watched on YouTube where the interviewer asked Bret what he thought about Ric Flair winning the title in 92. Bret said that he was baffled that people thought of Flair as the greatest wrestler of all time. He goes on to say that a wrestler needs three things to be a great professional wrestler. Those were their look, in ring ability, and mic ability or ability to sell themselves as he put it. He said that if he rated him self in each area that his look would be 8/10, his promo would be 8/10, and his in ring ability was 10/10. When the interviewer asked why fans thought of Flair as the greatest, Bret said because he had a great character and that was it. He said that the best match he had ever seen from Flair was about a 7 out of 10 and that he himself has had several 10 out of 10 matches. He said that Flair could never deviate from his certain style of wrestling and that's why he was picked to be the guy after Flair. He said that Flair wrestled the exact same match night in and night out and could never do anything different, but that he himself could do everything. I mean if everybody was as over on Bret as Bret is over on Bret then he'd be bigger than Jesus.

This interview was from 2014 I believe.
he's over rating himself a bit, but he's right about flair. Flair was boring as shit and had less moves then Cena-who is unfairly hated for using a core set of moves. Flair set/lowered the standard of what to expect in a match moveset and every one since has tried to copy/limit themselves to a small group of moves. Sadly this has worked for the most part as every top level wrestler since the 90's has done the same. Take any wrestler and watch 10 of their matches against 10 different opponents. And see just how often the same moves are done, the same SPOTS are done, the same mannerisms, promos, trash talk, everything. Guys smarks get behind are lauded for knowing a ton of moves, but still use the same 3-4 in every match as their main offensive sets, and guys who dont' try to use other moves due to the gimmick they are working or their physical size/limitations are derided for not using dozens of different moves in every match in the exact same way the smarks ignore in their 'chosen' heroes.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:57 PM

HatchetMan84 is looking to come up from OCW...HatchetMan84 is looking to come up from OCW...

Even though he is one of my all-time favorites, I have to say Bret Hart.

If you listen to him talk, he believes he is one of the best of all time, which I don't agree with, but sometimes he makes statements that to me, separate him from being "one of the boys", and almost implies that he was "above" everything else that went on during "life on the road".

Granted he might of not been partaking in steroids or "hard" drugs, but sometimes you hear interviews of him, and it seems like he lives in a different world than everyone else.

I am not disrespecting him in anyway, he obviously needs our prayers and concern since his recent cancer diagnosis, but sometimes i think Bret really believes he is in a different class than all of the "boys". Listening to interviews of him now, i think that he comes off as bitter and angry, even though the wrestling business gave him everything, and he got to end his WWF/E career on a high note....
Old 02-05-2016, 10:29 AM
ROH Pure Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

The funniest thing is that while i could name guys like Hogan, flair, hhh or anybody that actually matter in the industry, i will go in the indys and say that the young bucks are the biggest mark. Here's 2 guys that really never amount to anything in wrestling and acts in and out of the ring like they are the biggest thing in wrestling. They don'T respect the business they are in and that if it doesn't make themselves look good, they just don'T care.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:41 PM

Nature Boy is looking to come up from OCW...

My first answer would be Bret Hart.

No matter what the subject, no matter who is being spoken about, he always manages to somehow make it about himself.

This happens during nearly every interview, even if Bret never wrestled or even met a certain person the answer is almost always something like "But if you compare his matches with mine..."

The thing about Hogan is, most Radio or TV interviewers probably aren't Wrestling fans, so the only wrestler they know is Hulk Hogan, so therefore only ask him about him, so the only thing he can talk about is himself.

I suppose it would be like having Paul McCartney on a show and expecting him to only talk about Weezer and Cradle Of Filth for two hours.

They won't know about Hiro Matsuda, Terry Boulder, the Territories - They will only have heard of, or been given notes on, Rocky III, Andre The Giant, Nick's car accident and the recent racism scandal.

Though in Hogan's two years in TNA, he rarely mentioned them and did little, if anything to put them over - It was all about Hogan.

Bret Hart gets my vote though.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:36 AM
ROH Pure Champion

FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrythem View Post
Yeah I'd throw Bret Harts name near the top of that list but two other names I haven't seen mentioned yet: Dusty Rhodes and Ric Flair.

Yeah Flair seems to sell a rather bullshit version of himself nowadays (making a joke seeing as he turned himself into a joke perhaps) but, this is the guy that did everything in his power as booker of WCW to hinder the progress of The Hollywood Blondes (and let's not forget basically ignoring Foley vs Vader as a potential main event feud) because he didn't want his heel heat doused by others catching on...then getting into a pissing contest with Bret Hart about the content of Flairs book (including the disgusting bit about feeling sorry for the McMahons more than Bret when Owen died) and slapping Foley because Foley refused to shake his hand after he'd slaughtered him in his book (a receipt for Foley saying Flair was "as bad a booker as he was great a wrestler" which was fair considering what Flair did to Foleys career while he had the book in WCW). Plus he seems to find it easier to admit that he's been a mega shit dad when his kids were growing up a lot easier than admitting he's even lost half a step in wrestling.

As for Dusty Rhodes being a mark for himself, yeah, he was. Probably rubbed one out anytime anyone used the term "Dusty finish".
How did Flair hinder The Hollywood Blondes ? He had no booking power in 1993 and in fact made them look awesome everytime he worked against them? Flair pushed hard for Steve Austin literally until Bischoff & Hogan fired him, part of the reason Austin gas treated him like royalty for twenty years (Hogan & Bischoff not so much).

Fact is, it's hard to get to the top and stay there and be high on yourself. I give Brett a pass for much of what he said years ago because he was clearly bitter about the end of his career, his WCW Tenure, his WWE departure. Since he has made peace with Vince & WWE, as well as HBK and seemingly become best buds with Flair he has been less self absorbed in his interviews and less hateful. Still has no love loss for Hogan & Bischoff but....

Hogan really has never changed. He always speaks of himself as the biggest star ever and everyone is in comparison to him. I loved in his autobiography a decade ago he basically spoke as if he was the greatest star that ever lived and the only people who even deserved mentioned in the same paragraph with him were Austin, Rock, & Flair, as if no one else made any impact over the 20 years he was a major Star. It makes me laugh even now. That said Hogan rarely disparages anyone (except in response to attacks by others) and he almost never seems like he wants to disparage anyone.

Whatever you think of Nash he offers a lot of praise to people even when discussing his disagreements with them. Hogan was a politician but he made the NWO work, was a huge star, great money maker. Personal differences with Brett Hart over creative don't change what a hard worker, dedicated performer, and skilled wrestler he was. Same with Ric Flair with the regular add on that he is one of the "greatest all time". At least give Nash credit for publicly admitting the upside to those he worked with that maybe he didn't always get along with.

Flair has been open about disagreements with certain people but mostly praises them, even more than Nash. The only people he really trashed with little or no admission of upside were Eric Bischoff (though they are on decent terms now ) & Fritz Von Erich (mainly for his lack of action regarding his son Kerry's drug issues). Like Nash he doesn't change much (he & Foley are almost like best buds now but Flair doesn't back off his critique that as aneeded in ring worker Foley was lacking, despite his work ethic & charisma ) and he always attributed a large portion of Brett Hart's problems to poor booking even before they buried the hatchet.

Bottom line, I can sympathize and understand almost all of them and think it's really hard to work yourself into that highest tier and not be high on yourself.