WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-09-2016, 04:35 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Whatever the reasons behind DiBiase's coming together with IRS, it certainly did not end up as a 'demotion'. Being the team chosen to dethrone the Road Warriors (even if Hawk's suspension hot shotted the title change a month early, ideally it would have been at Wrestlemania VIII) and then a year later being part of the double main event of WMIX against Hogan and Beefcake is definitely not the sign of someone about to be discarded.

Since I signed up for the Network, I've been (slowly) wading through Raw chronologically from the start. In the early days, one thing was abundantly clear: the most hated heel on the entire roster was IRS, and Money Inc were super heated, though DiBiase was more of an early cool-heel for the fans, despite constantly heeling up his interviews.

It is also noticeable that DiBiase was the chosen one to try and get people over. From the 1992 Royal Rumble where Davey Boy Smith, who was earmarked for a huge push, eliminated him in 2 minutes, to trying to get the Natural Disasters and Nasty Boys over as faces, to easing in the returning Beefcake and Hogan, then the Steiners, the very short lived idea of a face turn for the Beverley Brothers, then finally being a key component in getting the 123 Kid over as well as facilitating Razor Ramon's face turn. That's quite apart from what he achieved as a manger, and commentator at the '94 Rumble

Make no mistake: DiBiase was very much a key player for WWE despite 'seemingly' being demoted to the tag team division
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 PM
WWE Women's Champion

MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRobtaylor View Post
And he got immediately hurt and went back... if you're a "burnout" as an employee you don't get to do that... I read that Iron Mike was on Vince Sr's payroll when he died - that was in an Apter mag years back however, so dunno, maybe he was on loan or finishing up for a run in New York... everyone went through New York at least once in those days if only for a tour.

Either way, Ted was always well liked and respected by the McMahon's cos of his dad and his talent. They wanted him to be the big secondary draw in 79 but he or the North American title didn't click and they went with Pat and the IC instead.

Money Inc may not have been initially what it became... You're talking 2 months from when they first tagged (and won the titles) to post Mania 8... remember this was the "old" WWF where stuff was planned further ahead. It's very likely Money Inc was intended as a way to get Quake and Typhoon over as the champs, but became something else once Ted made his request... perhaps he was already sensing the waters changing and his conciseness was telling him he was gonna be found out...

Either way it doesn't change that he asked for a reduced schedule and still ended up with his ONLY proper WWF title (not counting Million Dollar Belt) and his second Mania main event as part of Money Inc... That's not burned out, that's embracing the change... something so few can see past today... Would Vince trust a guy today to be in one of his Mania main events with only 3 months left on his deal? No Chance In Hell!
I'm getting really confused by the information you are insisting is accurate here.

- you say that he died in a WWWF ring, and that he was on Vince Sr's payroll when he died?

He died at a show in Lubbock, TX, where he had been working regularly. McMahon didn't promote in Texas. Looking at the cards he was on, it looks like it was the Amarillo territory and he was working for Dory Funk Sr.

When he wasn't working for Funk, he was working for Gagne in the AWA. He'd pretty much slowed down to semi-retirement by that point (only doing a few spots a month). A couple years prior when Dibiase was on the road regularly, he'd do stints in St. Louis (Mushnick), Japan (Baba), and Los Angeles (LeBell).

I only went back about 5 years or so before his passing, but didn't see any record of him ever working for McMahon.

So I've got no idea where you're getting your information about Iron Mike Dibiase.

As for Ted and Money Inc? After his main event heel run (he wasn't an upper mid card heel in the WWF, and you should really watch some Mid-South to see that Ted in his prime absolutely was a main event talent), he typically would have moved on to another territory... which is just how it was done back then. Thing is, this was shortly after the territories were a thing of the past, and the old ways didn't necessarily work. Putting a great talent like Ted into a tag team was a great idea, and gave him a second life in a company where his only other option had he stayed would have been to move down the card and start putting the new acts over.

He went to Japan after he left, and would have been happy working there for a while until the time came for a fresh, new run in the WWF, but like you said, he got hurt. He went right back as a manager... because this was a way for him to continue working and support his family. Simple as that.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:38 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...

When he left he was burnt out. He said it himself in an interview that upset Vince McMahon, saying something like "I'm so glad to be out of there" because he was tired of the travel.

When he came back from Japan due to injury he didn't think he could go back to the WWF, but they reached out to him to see if he could do some commentary. He did for a bit and then he was transitioned to a manager.

I don't think there is any for sure confirmation on why he was put into a tag team. He still worked house shows and toured when he was in Money Inc. There is nothing I've read that says he got a reduced schedule as part of a tag team, in fact he himself has said that when he finally left to go to Japan it was because of the travel he had been doing up to that point.

I think he got put into Money Inc. because they just didn't see him as a main eventer anymore, needed to refresh his role. They got a good run out of him by essentially creating a semi-main event tag team to feud with people. That is pretty standard wrestling booking.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:51 AM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

By 1992, DiBiase's best years in WWE were behind him, I think that's especially true if you look at it from a hindsight perspective. By the time he & IRS won their first tag team championship together, he was 38 years old and while he still had the goods, there probably wasn't a whole lot that he'd be doing realistically.

We'd seen him as a top heel chasing the WWF Championship during much of the late 80s, though he never captured the gold and it was fairly obvious, even at the age of 11 going on 12, that I knew he'd never be WWF Champion. By 1992, the only viable options for him that I could see were as a manager or a tag team wrestler because the singles championship picture looked pretty well locked. The WWF Championship was locked through much of 1992 with Ric Flair & Randy Savage who, frankly, were bigger stars than DiBiase, before Bret Hart got into the picture by beating Flair for the title. As far as the Intercontinental Championship went circa 1992, you had Bret Hart, the British Bulldog and Shawn Michaels keeping things going. It was obvious Bret Hart's singles career was on the rise during the early 90s, Shawn Michaels was a hot young rising star, both had strong mid-card title runs, DiBiase was getting older, he wasn't going to be WWF Champion so I think the road that was ultimately taken was really the only feasible way to go.

I think he could have had more to offer, it wouldn't have bothered me to see him go after the Intercontinental Championship but, looking back on things, I think I'd have rather had guys like Hennig, Hart & Michaels making up the IC title picture for much of the early 90s and that WWE made the right call.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 02-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

I said where I read it, it was years ago... and that was my understanding, read it again i you missed it.

As for the whys and wherefores of Ted and when things happened, it's somewhat academic. Money Inc was far from a jobber team or demotion as we've covered, it was simply a different way to use a talent, and one that WWE has used countless times since with talents who were main event but not any more or to keep them occupied. Everyone from Kane to Jericho to Shawn has been in one of these style teams. Perhaps from Vince's side it was as simple as they wanted to see if it worked (it did) and Ted got the added benefits in his own life.

Either way, Ted DiBiase's life and career are better because he was part of Money Inc. so that's where it ends really.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:28 PM
Intercontinental Champion

The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...

Just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply Money Inc was a jobber team or even a demotion. I just found it curious that Dibiase was suddenly in a tag team. It's possibly though that the company may have looked at it as a step up. The division was weakening but the tag belts still meant something. Dibiase never had a singles title reign so a tag title reign may have been a promotion of sorts. After all they did work with Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:42 AM
WWE Women's Champion

MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRobtaylor View Post
I said where I read it, it was years ago... and that was my understanding, read it again i you missed it.

As for the whys and wherefores of Ted and when things happened, it's somewhat academic. Money Inc was far from a jobber team or demotion as we've covered, it was simply a different way to use a talent, and one that WWE has used countless times since with talents who were main event but not any more or to keep them occupied. Everyone from Kane to Jericho to Shawn has been in one of these style teams. Perhaps from Vince's side it was as simple as they wanted to see if it worked (it did) and Ted got the added benefits in his own life.

Either way, Ted DiBiase's life and career are better because he was part of Money Inc. so that's where it ends really.
You said you read it years ago in an Apter mag, which I'm guessing would have been during their 100% kayfabe period if it was years ago and they were discussing Dibiase or his step father in any way?

I used to read them all back in the day, and honestly only ever remember one article about Dibiase and father. It was from his Mid-South days, and talking about 'the tunnel', and the fear he had every night before he stepped through the tunnel to go to the ring, because his father died in the ring. Complete kayfabe article of course meant to give his character depth. I don't have it anymore, but I don't recall it having anything to do with the WWF or McMahon at all.

I think you're misremembering though, because in Apter's kayfabe days, he never would have talked about anyone being on a promoters payroll, or any type of behind the scenes business arrangement like you mentioned. That was real life and had no business in the kayfabed reality of professional wrestling.

Either way, Money Inc did extend Dibiase's WWF career completely. Without it, he's purged a couple of years earlier because his run as a main event singles heel was done, and he would have likely done some tours of Japan with Hanson, while working a tweaked version of the Million Dollar Man character in WCW.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:41 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Looking at WWF pre-Yoko's title win you could argue that DiBiase was used as high up the card as any heel by Vince McMahon Jr. I've said this on here before and some (I think newer) fans have seemed surprised by it but go back and count the amount of times a heel was WWF champion before Yokozuna's reign.

From the time Hogan won the belt in January of 1984 for the first time you had:

Andre The Giant in 1988, he held it for a few minutes
Macho Man in 1989, held it for about a month as a heel
Sgt Slaughter in 1991, held it for three months
The Undertaker in 1991, held it for a week
Ric Flair, twice in 1992 for a combined total of about four months

That's it. Five guys holding the title for a little over eight months in the course of ten years.

Vince didn't do heel champions back then (arguably he has only ever booked lengthy title reigns by three strong heel champions of that title in Yokozuna, Triple H and JBL). So I'm not sure DiBiase would even have viewed him being moved away from a title he probably didn't really think he'd have a shot at getting a decent run with as a demotion.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:15 PM
WWE Women's Champion

His dad was the same way.

Buddy Rogers - 22 days
Ivan Koloff - 21 days
Stan Stasiak - 9 days
Superstar Billy Graham - 296 days

From 1963 till Vince Jr. took over in 1982, that's it. And Graham's 296 day reign was pretty short considering the likes of Sammartino (2,803 and 1,237 days), Morales (1,027 days) and Backlund (2,135 days).

That was just the WWF model. Strong face champion who overcomes the unstoppable monster heels, and occasional smart, talented and evil scientific heel.

Thing you have to bear in mind is everyone knew this before they ever set foot in a WWF ring, and it didn't matter. If you were a heel, you were far more likely to get a run at the top of the card (and the payday that went with it), than as a face (unless you were lucky enough to be the chosen one). So they all flocked to New York knowing that they'd never get the belt, but would get the money... which was the only thing that mattered.

I think guys today care more about the number of championships they win, won loss records and all that. Back in Dibiase's day, that was the type of stuff that the marks cared about. The only thing Ted would have cared about was how many zero's were at the end of his paycheck.