WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-06-2016, 12:25 PM

Xpyred013 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissanceman2014 View Post
In the comments section on the page "Breaking News: Vince McMahon Makes Major Change to the WWE Royal Rumble Match ", I read these comments, "Yeah cause we're all dying for Triple H to hold the title again for the 20th time. Ratings will fall under 2 permanently if this happens ", and " Which, if memory serves me correctly, is what caused Patterson to leave WWE in the early 2000's. He stated the focus was too much on HHH and him as champ was hurting ratings".

The first thing that came to my mind was an image of that Brisco guy, whom, weirdly enough, I have always thought of upon hearing "Patterson" ! But I am aware that those two were the stooges and part of many a funny segments which also involved the likes of Austin, Kane, and Vince Mcmahon himself.

Now, I had no idea back in the 2000s that wrestling was scripted and therefore, "fake", Let alone know about such things as backstage politics, and whether or not Pat Patterson left on account of too much emphasis on HHH. Therefore, I'd like to ask you guys, is it true ?
Lol. This is the first time I have ever seen anyone quote one of my comments and make a thread about it.
The only reason i even made that comment was because I recalled hearing nonsense about Patterson and HHH way back in the day and I had to google it. A google search game me the info that you quoted.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Knockout Champion

RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...RomanfreakinReigns worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpyred013 View Post
Lol. This is the first time I have ever seen anyone quote one of my comments and make a thread about it.
The only reason i even made that comment was because I recalled hearing nonsense about Patterson and HHH way back in the day and I had to google it. A google search game me the info that you quoted.
lol, yes. I made a thread because I was intrigued upon reading the comment you made..and wanted to know if it was true.

Turns out, yes it's a bit true.

HHH's image from that time and overall constitutes one of those contentious issues in Wrestling, so one tends to either hate him or respect him for his contributions.

I'm of the opinion that, regardless of Pat Patterson's findings/opinions during that time, HHH does seem to have had buried or otherwise kept other wrestlers below him.

I had firmly believed back then that Rob Van Dam was talented enough and charismatic enough and okay enough on the microphone to be given the WHC. But he wasn't. Heck, the dude was so over during the Invasion Angle itself that the audiences(on any Smackdown or Raw from that time) can be heard effusively chanting for him, even against Austin and Rock.

The same can be said about Booker T. Deserved the WHC in 2003. Never got it.

Also, Chris Jericho. I'm not saying that Chris Jericho was the best choice to be made "the face of Raw" or WHC, especially after his debacle/lacklustre of a championship run as the first undisputed champion. But it's obvious he was consistently held back and forced to be in the mid-card between 2002-2005. One wonders what would have become of him had he never left and returned as he did in 2007. Would he have been allowed to change his character and become hot enough to win the world title 4 times?

Last edited by RomanfreakinReigns : 01-06-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissanceman4life View Post
lol, yes. I made a thread because I was intrigued upon reading the comment you made..and wanted to know if it was true.

Turns out, yes it's a bit true.

HHH's image from that time and overall constitutes one of those contentious issues in Wrestling, so one tends to either hate him or respect him for his contributions.

I'm of the opinion that, regardless of Pat Patterson's findings/opinions during that time, HHH does seem to have had buried or otherwise kept other wrestlers below him.

I had firmly believed back then that Rob Van Dam was talented enough and charismatic enough and okay enough on the microphone to be given the WHC. But he wasn't. Heck, the dude was so over during the Invasion Angle itself that the audiences(on any Smackdown or Raw from that time) can be heard effusively chanting for him, even against Austin and Rock.

The same can be said about Booker T. Deserved the WHC in 2003. Never got it.

Also, Chris Jericho. I'm not saying that Chris Jericho was the best choice to be made "the face of Raw" or WHC, especially after his debacle/lacklustre of a championship run as the first undisputed champion. But it's obvious he was consistently held back and forced to be in the mid-card between 2002-2005. One wonders what would have become of him had he never left and returned as he did in 2007. Would he have been allowed to change his character and become hot enough to win the world title 4 times?
Jericho absolutely was a victim of Trips, he "won" the title to a huge pop and then had to give it back in 2000 and was ADVERTISED in Foley's place for the 4 way at Mania 2000... Trips nixed it. Did it hurt Jericho long term, arguably no... but he is the best name I can remember of someone who was really held back by Trips.

As for Pat... you have to take the scandals into account. There may have been accusations, but remember this is the time the "sheets" and IWC is beginning to really take a hold. There was an added pressure on Pat as an "out" gay man who had previously been accused, if cleared of wrong doing.

I could easily see the reaction to the reports being a "well, between this and the stress of worrying what is gonna be said about me, I'm gonna hang it up".

I can see Trips also regretting falling out with Pat... negative things aside, he's the kind of guy who after a while would probably get what Pat was trying to do and realise it wasn't personal and losing him from the company over it was bad.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...

Patterson was a long time booker and oversaw a lot for the company and he did it old school. HHH says he's old school but that takes a backseat to his ego, which was on display by the finish of the Royal Rumble. It fed his ego by putting the belt on himself but people still won't care for Reigns as champion when he beats HHH at WM.