WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-02-2015, 04:47 AM
The current reigning and defending
Undisputed WWE Champion

Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
Bret's return honestly should have been back in 1999 before he reupped his WCW deal.

Austin and Rock had control of the dressing room instead of Michaels and Triple H. He'd experienced first hand how bad it was in WCW. He had already admitted he was feeling that being in WCW was a mistake and he was missing working for Vince. And he could still go.

I will say though, that I never minded Bret's WWE return. For what it was, and what was possible considering Bret's health, I thought they did a good job with it. Vince did a great job putting over a guy who couldn't take a bump as a legit threat in the buildup, and then when the actual match came? Vince bumped and sold for Bret like a champ. I wasn't a fan of the Hart family being involved at Wrestlemania, but I get it all things considered.

Where they lost it for me was everything that happened after that. Having Bret win the US title? Having Bret as part of the Summerslam match against the Nexus? It should have been one and done for the guy, and then if they wanted, move him to a strictly non-competitive role.
I think this is right.

With Bret's health issues, I don't think a return would have been possible, and shouldn't have been risked until it actually happened. The man had a stroke for God's sake, and I'm amazed he ever competed in ANY form of wrestling match again after that. I don't get the criticism of the Hat v Vince WM match, what were people expecting? It was 60 y/o non wrestler vs a man recovering from serious health issues! Even though Bret couldn't take a bump, it was good to see him finally put an end to the feud with Vince after all those years.

I agree, a return should have been in 1999 when Bret was still in great shape would have been great, but 2 years after Montreal simply wasn't enough time for the scars to even start to heal in Bret's mind, especially after Owen's tragic death only occurred in 1999.

If I could have picked an ideal return date for Bret, it would have been in 2001 during the Invasion. With Angle and Austin defecting to WCW (and I'd also have had Big Show or Chris Jericho jump sides too), Team WWF would have been struggling and looking for another big name to help them out. Foley was retired, Triple H was injured....who turns up to offer his help to the company that made him? Bret "The Hitman" Hart.

I know it couldn't have happened as Bret had already suffered the career ending concussion at the hands of Goldberg...but just imagine that pop if the Hitman music suddenly came on on Raw, and Bret walked out to join The Rock, Undertaker and Kane to face Team Alliance.....awesome!

IT'S A DILAPIDATED BOAT!!!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:30 PM
WWE Women's Champion

MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I'd actually have to re-read it, but the time I'm thinking of in 1999 is right before Owen died.

Bret tells a story in his book about his contract almost being up, feeling very disenchanted with the way WCW had been handling him and was having second thoughts. He decided to go to a RAW that was in Calgary just to visit some old friends. The Rock was the one that told him he should come back and that the locker room had changed if that's what he was worried about. Austin was hitting on Bret's sister. Bret seemed to recall it as the first time in a while he enjoyed being at the arena.

I looked it up on wrestlingdata, and there was a RAW show on April 17, 1999 that had Austin and the Rock on it. Likely the one he's talking about. I really don't know if he could have at that time contractually, but if he was able to, that would have been the time it could have happened. If it's quick enough too, he would have been there to stop Owen from doing that fateful stunt a month later (Bret always said that Owen would come to him about stuff like that and there's no way he would have ever allowed Owen to do it - plus if Bret is on his way back, you don't want to be using Owen as the Blue Blazer anyways... you're building him up to be Bret's right hand man against Vince).

Once Owen died, all bets were off though, and it seemed that the hard feelings about Montreal really began to take hold then (not that they weren't there before, but they went to another level after his brother died). Prior to Owen dying, I think Bret could have been talked into doing business, considering how important his career and legacy was to him. Same with Vince. After Owen died? It took facing his own mortality with the stroke, and Vince facing how things could have ended too, for the wounds to heal (Bret has credited Vince's emotional support being one of the factors that helped him recover - in a dysfunctional way, the two really did have a father/son relationship).
Old 12-08-2015, 09:17 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...

Wrestlers have a way of "misremembering" reality when they write books and do shoot interviews.

Bret Hart signed a 3 year contract with WCW in November of 1997. He may have been unhappy in 1999, but he couldn't contractually leave WCW until late 2000.

It's also hard to believe that it was true when he was set to return from recovering an injury in 99 and feud with Kevin Nash over the world title.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Krissssssss Benwa...Benwa
WWE Diva's Champion

Kris Benwa is looking to come up from OCW...Kris Benwa is looking to come up from OCW...Kris Benwa is looking to come up from OCW...Kris Benwa is looking to come up from OCW...Kris Benwa is looking to come up from OCW...Kris Benwa is looking to come up from OCW...

I think it was Court Bour on MLW radio but I may be mistaken but he said they tried to do the Bret return in 06. He says he and the other writers were on the phone discussing how they'd get from Survivor Series to Mania when Vince called and pitched it to Bret and it seemed like it was going down but for whatever reason (I dont believe Court knew) it didnt materialize and they did HBK vs Vince instead.

Personally i think Bret might have been uncomfortable but also Eddie passed away so they needed a match for Shawn. (Eddie vs Shawn for WM 22 was also discussed on that same phone call)
Old 12-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Just Do It is looking to come up from OCW...Just Do It is looking to come up from OCW...Just Do It is looking to come up from OCW...

Yeah, a Bret return in 1999 would have been something else. But he still hated Vince at this point, and Vince was still being pissy with Bret, going on Canadian TV and calling him a skeleton etc. Frankly, the WWF didn't need Bret at that point, and Bret could make much more money in WCW, despite creative frustration.