WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-16-2015, 02:29 PM

Waylon Mercy is looking to come up from OCW...

I could never buy into the Patriot as a credible opponent for Bret. Maybe it was just due to the fact that I was a total Bret mark, and was really loving his heel turn at the time. The Patriot gimmick just seemed too generic and convenient as a counterpoint to Bret's anti-American stand at that time. Also, I think we were all a bit spoiled by the incredible run Bret and Stone Cold had prior to that, and the terrific, and very realistic feud with Shawn Michaels at the time. I guess I just felt that Bret was too good for a prolonged feud with a guy in a mask, wearing the stars and stripes and draped in the American flag. The Patriot wasn't around that long, anyway, and just seems a footnote in the storied career of the Hitman.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:34 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

The Patriot was one of the few guys I got genuinely excited to see join the WWF, I always felt though that had Sting made the leap in 94 that he'd have been their USA type hero long term and that Patriot was there as an cheaper alternative.

From what Wilkes has said, he basically scammed the medical and was never in shape for the role he took, but what he did produce was pretty good and exciting for the time. He fit well as a counterpoint to Bret in the ring and was someone who could carry the persona and emotion behind the mask better than most of the era.

He's another from that era that they signed hurt, and it'd be interesting to see how they'd have turned out had they gotten back to their best... If Pillman recovered, he'd have been one of the biggest of all time, but he didn't... Not sure Del Wilkes would have gotten to that level, but he could easily have had a year as a solid main eventer during the Attitude Era had he dropeed the mask in anger, perhaps at the expense of Mick Foley or Kane's pushes.