WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > General Wrestling Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-26-2015, 05:09 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

He'll never get the Rock in a million years... but a lot of WWE guys right now are not gonna be happy, but they're making enough money they could risk a million each to start something once their deals are up... Imagine if in 2 or 3 years Ziggler, Bryan, Punk and Barrett all decided to work together in an almost reverse Radicalz situation. They put some money up, GFW the rest... take the risk on a big show in London or something using those 4 guys with some GFW talent...

By saying he wants the Rock, he's saying to those below "I want you guys too, but I'm aiming high, so should you..."
Old 12-06-2015, 01:02 PM

peter_midnight is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRobtaylor View Post
None of these would "change wrestling" in the way you want it to... arguably the best thing is the one thing I have seen in recent weeks...

Someone needs to get guys in the business OUT of the mindset that Vince's game is the be all and end all...to get talents thinking aspirationally about the business again outside of a WWE context.

The one guy doing that (for the second time) is Jeff Jarrett. His recent interview was quite inspirational in a way, he's talking up the business, how these alliances with NJPW and AAA are actually going to be AMAZING if they come to fruition... he talks of full circle a little bit and with the passion he has and seemingly the other companies in his corner, he has a legit shot at creating a latter day equivalent to the NWA... GFW, AAA, NJPW... as well as European companies could make the GFW concept something that could excite talents into NOT wanting to go to WWE.

Every shoot from guys like Bischoff and those who made money from TNA and WCW is "We'll never see that again..." maybe we won't... but that's not to saw GFW couldn't, with the right backing and talent create a viable approximation of what Vince destroyed back in the 80's... Today's guys making money in the WWE are tomorrows promoters and Jarrett is pretty important in showing them they can do that... guys like Bryan, Punk may decide to give it a go once their big paydays in WWE and UFC are ended...

The talent is out there and WWE doesn't use a lot of it... all it will take is some name guys with money they can invest while they can still go a bit and we could get an almost "territory" situation appearing again.

THAT is what would improve wrestling right now... getting out of sole control of Vince and back into the hands of wrestler/promoters like Jarrett... him saying he "wants the Rock" isn't hot air or pandering... it's a rallying call... he might not get the Rock (could you imagine if he DID set up/invest in a fed though) but there are probably others out there who would...
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but no, no, no! This doesn't change wrestling all it does is change the landscape of wrestling, but the fact is that even if WCW were around I have a feeling wrestling would have eventually gotten to where we are today, but in a slightly different state. Once Russo came along, WCW stuck with using writers (Ed Ferrara stayed when Russo left), so I have a feeling it would have devolved into a slightly upgraded version of TNA, but who's to say for sure.

The point is that wrestling needs to change with the times. You can't have guys doing outlandish shit on tv and expect anyone outside of children to buy it. You can have outlandish gimmicks, but the in-ring action has to be credible. How is it that I see a power bomb in the UFC end a fight in a KO, but in wrestling people kick out of it? That's what I mean. Baba didn't get rid of the DQs, but he ended the booking of DQs. This is the way to go and again it should be used SPARINGLY, as in on the right occasion.

Some say you can't book 45 min matches anymore due to attention span issues, I have a solution for that too...ROUNDS! Europe used to have it (not sure if they still do) and so did the defunct AWF. That can be where the judging proposal evolves to. I wish JJ the best of luck, but if I see king of the mountain matches, then as far as I'm concerned all we've done is gone back to the 1990s where hotshotting put wrestling where it is and has been ever since.

If the fans don't want it fine, but in my opinion, this is the evolution wrestling has to make in order to recover before it reaches Rollerderby status. I remember way back when a guy could do a german suplex pin and accidentally get pinned because his shoulders were on the mat and he lost instead of his opponent. These are definitely much better finishes that keep wrestling in the sporting context, which is what George Scott was a master of back in the 80s.

Someone needs to study George Scott's booking, combine it with elements of Kevin Sullivan and Bill Watts, and evolve it for 2015. No more backstage segments (outside of interviews), no more gimmicks that can't be believed (unless pulled off really well, which obviously would have to be experimented with), no more 20 minute in-ring mic segments with no interviewer, no more BS finishes that don't result in serious repercussions, and no more nonsense period.

If you think heels can't exist without the above all you have to do is look at Floyd Mayweather and Mike Tyson.

To the guy that said you can't look at wrestling as a sport, sure I can. Lou Thesz said that it's supposed to be an exhibition. Someone else has said that it is simulated sport. I think gimmicks are fine, but they need to be in context of these guys being athletes.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote