WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 09-22-2015, 08:24 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...

They gave him a shot and he did hold the belt for 4-5 months I believe but I think the summer of punk just overshadowed him and he got shuffled down the roster. Never a fan but it's not like he was just cast aside even though he didn't get back in the main event spot he still has always gotten a push in some form.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...

I wouldn't necessary call it a fluke, but I don't remember much of it, because I took a break from wrestling. Miz comes from Hollywood, so it makes sense how they would use him to kickstart Rock vs Cena. However, there was no one more hated in the company than Punk during the Straight Edge Society schtick, but then it led to virtually nowhere. This is about to become a CM Punk post, so I'm gonna stop there.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm laughing at you right now.
Million Dollar Champion

Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinept View Post
Are we so far removed from 2011 that people don't actually remember what happened? The Miz didn't fall off the planet after dropping the title to Cena. In fact, the Miz went on to form AwesomeTruth, a team that was booked like an unbeatable force in the fall of 2011. Seriously - go back and re-watch this stuff. They were booked like monster heels. Their highlights included:

1) Attacking a white-hot CM Punk during his Night of Champions match with Triple H.

2) Destroying Punk, Cena and ADR during a Hell in a Cell match while the rest of the WWE watched helplessly.

3) Defeating Punk and Triple H in a tag-team match at Vengeance.

4) Destroying Cena during his WWE Title match at Vengance.

5) Creating such chaos on Raw that Triple H was removed from his position as acting CEO.

6) Wrestling Rock/Cena in Rock's first WWE match in 7 years.

The duo broke up following their loss at Survivor Series when Miz turned on Truth. But it was clear at that point that the Miz was still high in the WWE graces as he was given a WWE Title match at TLC in December. It wasn't until after TLC when the Survivor Series buyrate came in that Miz was demoted. With the numbers significantly lower than what the WWE anticipated, the WWE had to 'punish' someone. It was clear that they weren't going to demote Rock or Cena so Miz took the fall...

In the following months, he was the first entrant into the Royal Rumble - a complete after thought in the match despite lasting 45 minutes. He followed that be being left off the EC card completely and spent WrestleMania season working a program wherein he complained that he was being left off the card - before ultimately being placed in a 10-man tag filled with other guys who had no real spot on the roster.

So you can say his reign was a fluke, but you'd be wrong. He was over as anyone on the roster not named Cena. You can say he was overshadowed by Rock/Cena, and he was, but that's just ignoring that he maintained his main event status through the end of the year. And you can say that CM Punk took his spot, but that's ignoring that Miz was actually handed the 'anti-establishment' part of Punk's gimmick when he formed Awesome Truth.

The fact is that Miz lost his spot ONLY because Survivor Series didn't get the expected buyrate, and he took the fall for it.

This post should have ended this thread but of course nobody reads anything but the OP before chiming in with their own opinion. As you stated Miz didn't simply fade away in the months following WM 27 as some people stated. His reign wasn't a failure or an aborted experiment. The Miz was a major player all year long. All people seem to remember about 2011 is the Rock/Cena thing and CM Punk's emergence. What they quickly forget is the WWE's top heel during all of that. It was The Miz.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:38 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Rhodes2TheFuture3313 is looking to come up from OCW...Rhodes2TheFuture3313 is looking to come up from OCW...Rhodes2TheFuture3313 is looking to come up from OCW...

I legit hated Miz during his title reign. I actually didn't start saying ok this guy isn't bad until WM 27 when he weaseled his way to victory over Cena. After that I became a Miz-fit. What the last few guys are saying is true. Miz instead of R-Truth took the fall for that low SS buyrate and has been in Mid-card haven ever since. Lost is some of the great work that he has done. He MADE Damian Sandow relevant for a time. He was a really good IC champ before that. This guy is GREAT on the MIC. It pains me to see Sheamus get another main event shot when guys like Ziggler & Miz are far better equipped and more entertaining to handle it. Maybe WWE can strike gold again w/another Rated RKO? 2 mid-card guys who beat the hell out of everybody on their way up the card. Miz and Ziggler are both worthy. That's for sure. My problem is Miz has this great gimmick, but it's booked as a joke. The guy should be wearing designer suits. Doing interviews w/real hollywood guest stars and have a paparazzi like entrance retaining the AWESOME and music.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:36 PM

stmarks2002 is looking to come up from OCW...

His title reign is comparable to David Arquette winning the WCW title. Both never should've happened. In respect to the question, it was definitely a fluke as he has never won it back since losing it and its now 2015. Miz has no legitimate relevance to pro wrestling at any capacity. I recall watching his season of Real World and I did in fact root for him to be successful one day. That boat has clearly sailed. His reality tv background and alleged hard work got him in that top spot because of his crossover/mainstream appeal. His title defense opponents were definitely a joke ...
Old 09-23-2015, 01:53 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I liked Miz's reign, I actually hated the guy (not heel hate, just.... Hated), until he started doing some really cocky things that made me like booing him. The Era he was in fit perfectly, along with the Twitter Takeover (Twitter being mentioned every 5 minutes is why I don't watch WWE anymore) and "reality era" that people thought we were heading towards (now restricted to the Divas 'revolution').

As far as his wrassling, he was nothing flashy, but the Miz could talk circles around people which lead to some great promos and setups. It was really refreshing to have a champ who was just an arrogant prick.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Registered Suplex Offender
WWE Diva's Champion

Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...Vanilla Midget worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Fluke is the wrong word. There are no flukes in professional wrestling as the outcomes are scripted. Miz was white hot in 2009-10. He was getting huge heat and even a few pops. The mistake really came with the timing and direction of his babyface turn. That and I'm betting he wasn't really a huge draw during his time.

When Miz came out the Raw after the dreadful WrestleMania 27, the crowd came unglued. The right time to turn him face would have been after he dropped the title back to Cena. I wouldn't have even separated him and Alex Riley, they both could have been faces.

WWE in the post-attitude era has had a nasty habit of booking certain faces too face. Rock and Austin got over because they did heelish things. Eddie straight up cheated in matches. When Miz finally turned face he became Ryan Seacrest and was hosting PPVs and being complimented on his spray tan, instead of being the cocky prick that got him over.

People wanted a-hole Miz, they wanted Awesome Truth Miz. They wanted the Miz that could go toe to toe with the Rock on the Mic.

Speaking of Rocky, Miz's current character is a watered down version of the downright classic heel that was Hollywood Rock. Rock's 2003 heel run should be required reading on heel turns if you ask me. Miz's character is b-movie version of that on cheese whiz. Like we get it, you think you're a movie star, do we need the quiet on the set thing in his theme music.

They didn't see long term sustainable main event in Miz, so they booked him atrociously and sent him down the card. I see the good in uncool heels, I wish they'd tone him down a bit, but we need heels that aren't cheered.

The end of Miz in the main event truly came when Cena single handedly defeated Awesome Truth. Seriously, he beat them both at once on Raw. Why did he even need the Rock? Rock and Cena should have lost, DQ or whatever due to infighting. Awesome Truth was ridiculously over and they seemed poised to enter the main event, but both were dorky faces come 2012. What a waste.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Knockout Champion

justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...justinept worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Midget View Post
The end of Miz in the main event truly came when Cena single handedly defeated Awesome Truth. Seriously, he beat them both at once on Raw. Why did he even need the Rock? Rock and Cena should have lost, DQ or whatever due to infighting. Awesome Truth was ridiculously over and they seemed poised to enter the main event, but both were dorky faces come 2012. What a waste.
Yes and No. This wasn't the moment that Miz was sent down the card, but it was the factor that led to the reasoning behind sending him down the card. As I stated earlier, the Miz was dropped from main event status immediately following the release of the Survivor Series lackluster buy rate. So technically, the end of the Miz was the buy rate. But you are correct in your assessment that the decision to have Cena single-handedly defeat Awesome Truth on Raw was the deciding factor for a lot of people not to buy that pay-per view. I remember a lot of conversations on these boards with angry viewers who had no intention of paying $60 for a main event that was clearly going to be booked as a squash match.

That's why the buy rate was so damn low! They shit all over the main event and took away any potential drama leading into it.