WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-03-2014, 09:19 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Did Kevin Nash book himself to end the streak?

I've heard people say this and it seems like it is accepted as fact on the internet. However, Nash has denied it. In his shoot he claims to have his first paystub that indicates he was involved in creative (not sure how he worded) and says he didn't become involved in creative until about 6 weeks after the Starrcade match.

So, does anyone have something definitive on this? Other than a random internet wrestling writer who claims to know?

For what it's worth, Nash's shoot blasts Goldberg pretty hard. He claims Goldberg told Nash's kid the he was going to kick Nash's @$$, that Goldberg took himself way too seriously, etc.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:12 AM

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

He did and didn't. He wasn't the official booker at Starrcade 1998 BUT it's no secret Hall and Nash had considerable leverage with Bischoff. I would have no problem believing Nash had Bischoff's ear when it came to finish at Starrcade 1998.

Kevin Sullivan is even on record as saying someone or some people were in Bischoff's ear when it came to ending Goldberg's streak. For the record Sullivan was STRONGLY against ending Goldberg's streak. He said when it was brought up he said " We did a million dollar gate" why would you want to beat him?!?" It was horseshit. They wanted to kill him." It was the thing that killed him.

I agree 100% with this assessment. Everyone knew Goldberg was the man in WCW. The NWO was dead. And they beat him like a job guy. He never got his rebuttal for the beatdown at Nitro the next night.

Nash pushed Hogan, Flair, Savage, DDP, they brought in Sid, they turned Hogan babyface. Goldberg was as over as ever in '99 and they just used him to get Hogan over.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:38 AM

MrJay is looking to come up from OCW...

I honestly wouldn't have had a problem with Nash beating Goldberg if the time was right for Goldberg to lose. The time wasn't right for Goldberg to lose. Now did Nash book that, I don't have a clue. But I wouldn't put it past him. I mean this is the same guy who claimed he had a heart attack to get out of doing a job for The Giant at Starrcade 97. This is the same guy who,along with his partner,went to Bischoff and told him that losing the tag team titles to the Steiners would hurt the drawing power of the belts. This mind you was after Hall and Nash had tormented the Steiners for the majority of the year and included them running the Steiners off the road. So I wouldn't put it past Nash to have booked himself to end the streak.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
Intercontinental Champion

THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...

Nash was basically put into the booking position on or around that time. Sullivan doesn't like admitting he got booted from the position. For a period Nash was the official booker but immediately got heat for ending Goldberg's streak... not so much for him ending it but the fingerpoke stuff...

On paper Nash was a good choice to end the win streak of Goldberg, he was as physically imposing if not more so and had the "wilyness" to make it work but dropping it to Hogan in the manner he did just shat all over Goldberg and the streak to begin with. It wasn't even Dusty booking, it was Hogan booking and straight away it ruined any legit claim Kev had to the job (which was not inconsiderable) by making it clear Hogan was really calling the shots.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:42 PM

ryankayy506 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default No, Then Yes.

The first shoot interviews he did he would say he didn't. Then recently he said yes due to being as over as Goldberg was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6IOleloKUg. Start about 2 minutes in.

Last edited by ryankayy506 : 04-03-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Bythedockofthebay is looking to come up from OCW...Bythedockofthebay is looking to come up from OCW...Bythedockofthebay is looking to come up from OCW...Bythedockofthebay is looking to come up from OCW...Bythedockofthebay is looking to come up from OCW...

The booking wasn't that bad for this night, but they made the huge mistake of Nash basically giving the belt away and then having Goldberg never win the title back. Goldberg should've been a mad man with one goal and he shouldn't have lost again until he was world heavyweight champion yet again, but Goldberg wasn't booked that way and it was a bigger mistake imo than putting the belt on Russo, Arquette(sp?), or the fingerpoke of doom
Old 04-03-2014, 01:10 PM

obamartins is looking to come up from OCW...obamartins is looking to come up from OCW...obamartins is looking to come up from OCW...

OP obviously watched my video on YouTube...

There was plans for Kevin Nash to face Goldberg for the title prior to Nash even getting on the booking committee. Nash always had a degree of power because of how successful he was furthermore it helped that Nash was extremely articulate & intimidating (according to Scott Hall he was the only guy who would disagree with Nash & everybody else was afraid to because of how big was).

Nash became a member of the WCW booking committee replacing Hulk Hogan (who took one of his little sabbaticals) alongside Dusty Rhodes, Kevin Sullivan & Terry Taylor. Nash's first booking meeting was on November 23rd, 1998 during which the other members of the booking committee proposed the idea to Nash that they hot-shot a match later that night on Nitro where Nash would beat Goldberg for the WCW Title. Nash asked if they had learned anything from the Goldberg–Hogan match, which drew a monster rating but didn’t lead to any sustained ratings success & consequently turned down the proposal.

The booking committee of Kevin Nash, Dusty Rhodes, Kevin Sullivan & Terry Taylor with approval from WCW President Eric Bischoff ultimately collectively decided that Goldberg's streak should end.

Kevin Nash didn't become head booker until early February 1999, when a burnt out Eric Bischoff took his daughter to France on vacation.

I can back up everything I've stated with credible sources.

FTR I believe Nash ending the streak was the correct decision. I could write extensively about this subject & why it was the correct the decision but I'll just quote Scott Hall (one of the smartest minds in the business) when he said in regards to Goldberg's streak "after you squash everybody your run is over".

Oh yeah one last thing...NOBODY at the time was a better choice to end the streak other than Kevin Nash with Scott Steiner a distant second. I say this because I've read some ridiculous suggestions over the years in regards to this subject.

Last edited by obamartins : 04-03-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:46 PM

Cub McCallister is looking to come up from OCW...

Well as te late great Gorilla Monsoon would say " It's the irresistible force meets the immovable object". The match looked great on paper tbh but as other people have stated the streak shouldn't of ended so early and the way the match ended was shocking with the tazer which sucked the match should of happened a few months later maybe sometime like superbrawl Goldberg lost momentum after this and never got back on top and the fact that Nash lost the title a few days later to hogan was terrible ffs what did this prove this is what I hated about wcw. If they would of done things better and properly they could of carried on going toe to toe with vince and the wwf.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:39 PM

StingerSplash22 is a member of the JOB SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by obamartins View Post
OP obviously watched my video on YouTube...

There was plans for Kevin Nash to face Goldberg for the title prior to Nash even getting on the booking committee. Nash always had a degree of power because of how successful he was furthermore it helped that Nash was extremely articulate & intimidating (according to Scott Hall he was the only guy who would disagree with Nash & everybody else was afraid to because of how big was).

Nash became a member of the WCW booking committee replacing Hulk Hogan (who took one of his little sabbaticals) alongside Dusty Rhodes, Kevin Sullivan & Terry Taylor. Nash's first booking meeting was on November 23rd, 1998 during which the other members of the booking committee proposed the idea to Nash that they hot-shot a match later that night on Nitro where Nash would beat Goldberg for the WCW Title. Nash asked if they had learned anything from the Goldberg–Hogan match, which drew a monster rating but didn’t lead to any sustained ratings success & consequently turned down the proposal.

The booking committee of Kevin Nash, Dusty Rhodes, Kevin Sullivan & Terry Taylor with approval from WCW President Eric Bischoff ultimately collectively decided that Goldberg's streak should end.

Kevin Nash didn't become head booker until early February 1999, when a burnt out Eric Bischoff took his daughter to France on vacation.

I can back up everything I've stated with credible sources.

FTR I believe Nash ending the streak was the correct decision. I could write extensively about this subject & why it was the correct the decision but I'll just quote Scott Hall (one of the smartest minds in the business) when he said in regards to Goldberg's streak "after you squash everybody your run is over".

Oh yeah one last thing...NOBODY at the time was a better choice to end the streak other than Kevin Nash with Scott Steiner a distant second. I say this because I've read some ridiculous suggestions over the years in regards to this subject.
Whether it was a good idea for Nash to be the man to end the streak or not, it was a huge mistake to do it the way that they did. Essentially, within 24 hours they made a joke of something they had taken several months to build. The company was already going downhill but they just stepped on the gas and fell asleep at this point. Nash was about as bad a booker as Hogan was and as for Hall being one of the best minds in the business, I greatly disagree with that statement as well. I think there are many people who are better than Hall, Nash and Hogan.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 PM

wwesux is a member of the JOB SQUAD

I don t see that happening since he jobbed to UT before his departure to WCW