WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM

Kenneth Fabian is looking to come up from OCW...

I am a sucker for this "Old School" approach, though I do question like many of you why it would occur now, though surely it will be used as a platform to advance programs towards WrestleMania as well as introduce the HOF inductees.

I would love them to go all out... '97 Attitude Era huge TitonTron [if not the New Generation 16-monitor big screen], entering through the neon-lighted small curtain, past the big red RAW sign, down a long path towards the ring, with red, white and blue ropes. Surely the SuperStars interview podium will make a return. Insert promos in the corner during matches, with some promos being cut in front of a green screen. "Mean" Gene Okerlund with a WrestleMania 29 Report. The Fink with the old MSG dropdown microphone for the ring introductions.

Sean Mooney, Bobby Heenan, Brookyln Brawler, Jesse Ventura cameos amongst others...

A tribute video for Lord Alfred Hayes, Yokozuna, Andre, Kerry Von Erich, Owen Hart, Kurt Hennig, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit...

...like that would happen.

It seems almost obvious that Swagger would face Duggan, or Slaughter, but I want Tatanka to return just for the show. His ancestory being of original "pre-American" heritage would make for an interesting parallel.

Any one of the interview segments: The Funeral Parlor, Piper's Pit, Highlight Reel, Snake Pit, Barber Shop, Body Shop.

Please excuse me as I'm lost in nostaligia at the moment.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
WOO!
WCW TV Champion

The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...

I liked the last old school Raw, so I'm sure I'll like this one too. I love all the legend appearances, the retro set, etc. -- it's a nice change of pace to break up the regular week-to-week grind we usually get with Raw. Still, I'm not entirely sure why they chose to do it now. We're on the road to WrestleMania -- Cena just beat Punk and solidified his position in the main event against The Rock, all the other feuds are largely up in the air -- so they shouldn't have to rely on this type of a gimmick show; the build to WrestleMania should be just about that... WrestleMania. It's a strange choice to run this show now, rather than after WrestleMania when there's generally a downturn in terms if quality.

All that being said, maybe WWE's strange choice of placement with this show is strategic: They're pushing the old school Raw with commercials pretty hard, and I wouldn't doubt that some old viewers will tune in to see it. If WWE manages to mix up some build-up to WrestleMania in the midst of all nostalgia, I'm sure they're hoping it'll be enough to capture some extra viewers on the way to WrestleMania. That wouldn't be a bad idea.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for this show, even if it's a bit strange to have it in the middle of WrestleMania season. It should be fun.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
POST OUTTA NOWHERE!!
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I for once am really excited about next week's Raw. Last one was very solid top to bottom, strong booking so I believe that next week we will have some of the same effect. I do not want to see the show filled with legends or have that random Slaughter/Hacksaw tag team match. I think that the whole effect of old-school troon, the old-school ring and the presence of Gene Okerlund and Finkel will do. I wouldn't say no to the team of Jerry Lawler and Jim Ross on commentary, but we can't have it all right?

One thing I've been thinking is about a backstage segment with Paul Bearer and Daniel Bryan, It would make good television with Bryan confronting Bearer about Kane's mental issues. I would also like to have Virgil come in for a segment with Ted Dibiase Sr. and I don't know, maybe Miz or something just because I do find it sad to see a former star in such a shitty level personally. I will not say no to Ron Simmons appearing for the "DAMN". But up above I believe that WWE needs to keep up with the strong booking that they have been showing. The Shield needs time this week to develop their feud with Randy Orton - so I'm up for some Seth Rollins vs. Randy Orton this Monday Night.

I am curious about Cena's role without The Rock and of course the CM Punk/Undertaker feud that has been rumored and teased at Raw.

~~ ICHI-BAN-SUGEE-NO-WA PURORESU NAN-DA-YO! ~~
sendpm.gif
Old 02-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
Intercontinental Champion

THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...

I am pretty certain that Backlund will be there and they could even have him wrestle at Mania yet... that would be an interesting approach to the traditional "Battle Royal for the US/IC title" on the Mania pre-show - have Backlund win the shot and put Cesaro or Barrett over on the night. But Backlund is perfect to work with Swagger and Coulter on a mic segment... I love the idea of Tatanka returning but I think he would be heel with Swagger rather than battle him.

It's pretty obvious Taker will return then, I saw a Paul Bearer shoot where he said he thought Taker would return to his original garb before he retires, so I'd expect to see the Grey Gloves, Bearer and bodybag for Punk!

I can see the Outlaws winning the titles from Hell No - and they might get round to using Shelton Benjamin after bumping him from the Rumble for the now invisible Bo Dallas.

Personally I hope that they stay clear of the "usual suspects" there has to be one shocker left in them, be it Matt Hardy or MVP or maybe even that Owen Hart induction we all want...
Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Knockout Champion

The Fabulous Rougeau's is looking to come up from OCW...The Fabulous Rougeau's is looking to come up from OCW...The Fabulous Rougeau's is looking to come up from OCW...The Fabulous Rougeau's is looking to come up from OCW...The Fabulous Rougeau's is looking to come up from OCW...The Fabulous Rougeau's is looking to come up from OCW...The Fabulous Rougeau's is looking to come up from OCW...The Fabulous Rougeau's is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRobtaylor View Post
I am pretty certain that Backlund will be there and they could even have him wrestle at Mania yet... that would be an interesting approach to the traditional "Battle Royal for the US/IC title" on the Mania pre-show - have Backlund win the shot and put Cesaro or Barrett over on the night. But Backlund is perfect to work with Swagger and Coulter on a mic segment... I love the idea of Tatanka returning but I think he would be heel with Swagger rather than battle him.

It's pretty obvious Taker will return then, I saw a Paul Bearer shoot where he said he thought Taker would return to his original garb before he retires, so I'd expect to see the Grey Gloves, Bearer and bodybag for Punk!
I can see the Outlaws winning the titles from Hell No - and they might get round to using Shelton Benjamin after bumping him from the Rumble for the now invisible Bo Dallas.

Personally I hope that they stay clear of the "usual suspects" there has to be one shocker left in them, be it Matt Hardy or MVP or maybe even that Owen Hart induction we all want...
I have been part of the minority that either doesn't want to see Taker at Mania, or wants the streak to end. But if Taker comes back with the original, or slightly thereafter look (pre 98), that would be all I need to get back on the Taker train. Was always one of my favorites growing up because his look was just so different and so scary for a 9 year old.

All American Boys
sendpm.gif
Old 02-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Million Dollar Champion

rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...rge2010 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
As enjoyable as this show will be, why would you have it during the lead up to Mania? It just doesn't make any sense to me. There doesn't need to be an old school Raw at the moment. I'd be more inclined to save it for the post-Mania months.
To entice the audience who returns for 'old skool Raw' into paying for Mania. I wouldnt be surprised if we saw the seeds planted for an old skool vs current at this years Mania.

The match Jericho had with Steamboat etc a few years ago was brilliant.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-28-2013, 03:12 PM
WCW TV Champion

MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...

I don't understand the timing of this. I get that it could be a week off for the writers but that is a pathetic excuse. It is their job to thing stuff up especially in the lead up to Mania.

There has been little indication of what is going to be on display next week. If it is the same names as always it will be very annoying. Austin is doubtful but would be great. Especially, if he got involved with Cena. Austin has beaten the Rock twice at Mania. Maybe play of that.

Taker is the dream. A old-school return for him would be intriguing (Paul Bearer is a must). This can at least build the speculation for his match at Mania.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-28-2013, 05:37 PM

Fandoth is looking to come up from OCW...

things that should happen at old school raw (or prior to wrestle mania)

The anti diva Paige should be casted into the main roster as the mastermind woman that dominates the three lusting members of 3mb into doing her bidding (or just enjoys watching them get hurt). Then lead into her fighting 3mb on the wrestle mania pre-show in a handicap match ( she should obviously fight dirty and win) ...I also would not mind Heath slater somehow "getting over" in this storyline by helping Paige or continuing to be dominated by Paige....he is a good wrestler/entertainer

Road dogg should do a "hardcore" fight against against a major heel and win, or he should interrupt the shield and save the day as they try to jump someone...I also would like those JBL replaced by road dogg on smack down or at least let road dogg announce at some of the minor shows ( main event, slam, NXT, superstars) ..

Old school divas! Who doesn't want to see Lita kick some douchebag heel's ass? Or trish stratus return prior to her hall of fame induction.

Hell, bring back the hardcore title! If tv parental ratings are the issue then defend the title on NXT since it is simply on Hulu, or defend the title on the JBL and cole show (or any other online show they have).....

Have some other mustacheiod legend come out and fight Cody Rhodes.....or let Goldust get royal rumble revenge......

Obviously, let undertaker make a short lived return

Have the rock actually fight a jobber or mid-carder (really rock? A champion that only fights at ppv events is kind of annoying.

Create a monthly mid card tournament with the winner challenging for the USA or ic title each ppv....essentially, try to build some type of prestige for mid careers and mid card titles....specially the ic title....mr perfect and Bret hart made this title famous, and now it is basically a joke...

Let big e Langston fight

Sin cara and Rey mysterio should "hop the fence" during a jack swagger promo and beat the crap out of him while interrupting his promo...(they played the race card, I am suggesting they run with it).....on that note, keep talking shot to Glenn beck. Since he won't come on the show, could wwe plz ask Ann coulter?

Christian returns with long hair again....

These are my suggestions for old school raw and/or events leading into wrestle mania..
sendpm.gif
Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 PM

BretHitmanHart92 is looking to come up from OCW...

I remember the old school RAW a while back being more like the early '90s with it's setup. I'd like for this old school RAW to be more like the Attitude Era. If they brought back the old Titantron they used from 2000-2002 I would LOVE it. Bring back the old RAW is WAR ring aprons and the red ropes. They can now use the Attitude Era scratch logo so it would be great to see it used on RAW this Monday. Maybe bring back some of the Attitude Era stars for one night like Val Venis, Mean Street Posse, The Godfather, Goldust, Ken Shamrock, NAO, etc.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 PM

saxile is looking to come up from OCW...

I agree that they should do this one Attitude era style as it could set up a feud between Goldust and his brother that ends at Wrestlemania. I know a lot of people are looking for this feud and I am one of them. Also I hope the deadman makes his appearance on there, would love to see a Punk/Taker feud fire up and to much happened Monday for it to happen there, although it was starting to look like Taker would come out during the Cena/Punk match and screw punk.
sendpm.gif