WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Has the dubious honor of being
ECW Champion

Mustang Sally is being held back by Triple H...Mustang Sally is being held back by Triple H...Mustang Sally is being held back by Triple H...Mustang Sally is being held back by Triple H...Mustang Sally is being held back by Triple H...Mustang Sally is being held back by Triple H...Mustang Sally is being held back by Triple H...Mustang Sally is being held back by Triple H...Mustang Sally is being held back by Triple H...Mustang Sally is being held back by Triple H...Mustang Sally is being held back by Triple H...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
I'd just like to see it become an actual women's division rather than what it's been for much of the past 5 years especially: incredibly hot women playing at being wrestlers.
That's reasonable, but it still requires a plan the company must adhere to. The problem is that WWE keeps changing what they want the diva division to be. In the old days, they installed Fabulous Moolah as their champion for many, many years and it had to do with her ability to wrestle; it sure as hell wasn't for her looks. Other gals followed suit and the division was one that featured actual mat action; some it quite good. After Vince Jr. took over, the meaning of what a diva was began to change, the notion being that fans would rather look at women in their underwear than show appreciation for their mat skills. If you feature gals like Torrie Wilson, Sable, Terri Runnels and Stacy Keiber, what else can you expect? They were horrible in the ring, but looked great and certainly gained a lot of attention for their efforts, didn't they? Anyone who says this was the golden era for divas wasn't overly worried about their technical skills in the ring.....which probably meant Vince McMahon was right, at least at the time.

Yes, sprinkled among the lingerie and evening dress matches were women who could really bring it as wrestlers, but folks like Molly Holly, Victoria, Ivory and Lita eventually left; they were either released or grew tired of being used more for how they looked in a nightgown than how they performed in a match. Fast-forward to now, we're left with a bunch of athletic models, who certainly wrestle better than Torrie or Stacy, yet aren't to be confused with Lou Thesz in the area of technical wrestling.

Lately, there are fewer divas, yet the company is letting them actually work in the ring for awhile, allowing the fans to appreciate (or not) the spectacle of women's wrestling. I enjoyed watching AJ fighting Layla and Tamina; there were stories being told rather than random matches thrown together with no purpose. It's a throwback to olden times, but will it last?

Personally, I like the track WWE is on today; let the gals be valets, cheerleaders, managers, etc.....but when you want them to wrestle, give 'em a chance to show their stuff in contests that last longer than 90 seconds. If they're involved in storylines outside the ring, let them have the same thing inside.

However, if indications are that fans don't care about watching divas wrestle at all......then call a halt to the pretense and find Rosa-like roles for the few you allow to stick around.

Do it, yes......or do it, no.........but pick a direction and stick with it.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:17 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

EastCoastFan is looking to come up from OCW...EastCoastFan is looking to come up from OCW...

Based on the report that WWE is once again having a 'casting call' for new Divas, I think they've decided to listen to the guys who think "I don't care as long as they're hot". These are probably the same people who think the solution for the Divas division is "Bring back bra & panties matches!" Not gonna happen in PG-WWE.

I like looking at a beautiful woman as much as the next guy, but if they can't wrestle, KEEP THEM OUT OF THE RING!! WWE believed that the way to find 'the next Trish' was to recreate the Trish Formula - find a hot model and train her how to wrestle. Thus, the Diva Searches began. Granted, the Diva Search gave us Lay-Cool, Maryse and Eve Torres, but is generally regarded as killing the women's division by emphasizing looks and charisma over ring skills.

Most of the women they hire through this method are more interested in using WWE as a springboard to a modeling or acting career (Stacy Keibler, Maria Kanellis, ...) than in being a good wrestler. They lack the desire to be great in the ring. Candice Michelle had the desire and worked hard to improve, but while her model figure was nice to look at, it couldn't take the bumps of being a wrestler and she kept winding up getting hurt.

As for what they should do with the division, they should put an end to the AJ-Cena storyline and get her in the ring. She's a good wrestler and shouldn't be wasted in a non-wrestling. She and Eve Torres should be fighting over the title, not over who's going to be the boss.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM

Dyscord is looking to come up from OCW...

The thing is the WWE seemed to be trying to find the next Trish Stratus...that is, a woman who was hired for her looks and then improved tremendously in the ring. But at the same time, they ignored women who actually have talent. What sense does it make to have the likes of Beth Phoenix and Natalya have awesome matches on your C show, while you trumpet the Bellas and Kelly Kelly on your A show? No wonder fans don't care much about the division.

I think the best time was during the "Ruthless Agression" era. Trish and Lita were still around and while the division wasn't perfect it was at least entertaining. Then WWE decided that people cared more about looks than talent and started to push things like the Diva Search.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Knife in my head
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Marlene's Disaster worked a dark match on ECW recently...Marlene's Disaster worked a dark match on ECW recently...Marlene's Disaster worked a dark match on ECW recently...Marlene's Disaster worked a dark match on ECW recently...Marlene's Disaster worked a dark match on ECW recently...Marlene's Disaster worked a dark match on ECW recently...Marlene's Disaster worked a dark match on ECW recently...Marlene's Disaster worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyscord View Post
The thing is the WWE seemed to be trying to find the next Trish Stratus...that is, a woman who was hired for her looks and then improved tremendously in the ring. But at the same time, they ignored women who actually have talent. What sense does it make to have the likes of Beth Phoenix and Natalya have awesome matches on your C show, while you trumpet the Bellas and Kelly Kelly on your A show? No wonder fans don't care much about the division.

I think the best time was during the "Ruthless Agression" era. Trish and Lita were still around and while the division wasn't perfect it was at least entertaining. Then WWE decided that people cared more about looks than talent and started to push things like the Diva Search.
Because the Bellas and Kelly Kelly were over and Beth and Natalya were not.

Seriously, you don't need a 5 star work rate. Just be a colorful character. Have a gimmick. Actually, I like where the Divas division is at right now. You have the top babyface (AJ Lee) and a good heel (Eve). Bring up Paige, Emma, and maybe Audrey Marie with interesting storylines and characters, and maybe the division will start shaping up a bit more.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 PM

jarulara is looking to come up from OCW...

They should bring in a girl maybe managed by a top contender wrestler with decent mic skills or just paul heyman whatever. Anyways bring her in like the next big thing. She will trash chyna and sable and trish and other women in her past for being maybe too sexual and not truly strong enough. Maybe she's just a bad ass fighter who's going to take down these pillow princesses. I would say push her like that, have her cut off peoples promos and even some of the boys scared of her. I mean why not.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Still a WZPC TT Champion. HOW?????

M is looking to come up from OCW...M is looking to come up from OCW...M is looking to come up from OCW...M is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via MSN to M

They've either got to completely re-vamp the whole diva's division or get rid of it completely.
If they're serious about this "division" then they seriously need to give the girls some lessons in public speaking - they ALL suck on the mic (that's probably why they don't get mic time anyways) - vickie's not really a "diva" so i'm taking her out of that generalization, but she's at best an average speaker with a screechy voice providing a reason for the fans to hate her.

I want to know how much training the divas actually go through before they get an opportunity on TV because most of the matches are completely unwatchable piles of filth with a lot of screaming and pulled hair, it's almost as if all the divas were brought into a room and taught a basic set of moves before the trainer gave up and handed them to vince. They need to work on improving the division's ability to wrestle before I stop fast forwarding their matches.

If they truly want to make us care about them though, they need to be given more than just one random match nobody gives a shit about involving people nobody gives a shit about because they have personalities nobody gives a shit about, "i'm hot" doesn't differentiate yourself from the 12 other people saying "I'm sexy."

What they need:
- Better mic work
- Better wrestling
- PERSONALITY

None of them are that sexy anyway, I would'nt go near any of them... maybe AJ but she's a 56/72 at best

Last edited by M : 12-10-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: stupid punctuation
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM
WWE Women's Champion

XXJJ is looking to come up from OCW...XXJJ is looking to come up from OCW...XXJJ is looking to come up from OCW...XXJJ is looking to come up from OCW...XXJJ is looking to come up from OCW...XXJJ is looking to come up from OCW...XXJJ is looking to come up from OCW...

They probably should get rid of the diva's division. You can still use them in storylines.

Beth and Kharma left and they dont look like they are going to call up Sara Del Rey. Womans wrestling isn't a draw and they dont seem willing to push the legit female wrestlers, so they might as well just be done with it.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2012, 11:34 PM
SHALL WE BEGIN?
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Mighty NorCal is an ECW Champion...Mighty NorCal is an ECW Champion...Mighty NorCal is an ECW Champion...Mighty NorCal is an ECW Champion...Mighty NorCal is an ECW Champion...Mighty NorCal is an ECW Champion...Mighty NorCal is an ECW Champion...Mighty NorCal is an ECW Champion...Mighty NorCal is an ECW Champion...Mighty NorCal is an ECW Champion...Mighty NorCal is an ECW Champion...

What would I like, or what's realistic? I firmly belive the womens division can hold very strong entertainment value. I'm not gonna imply anyone not named "trish stratus in 2005 / 2006" could be an actual "draw" but neither is tyson kidd. What they COULD be, is perfectly acceptable mid card entertainment / spot fests. Don't believe me? I invite you to go see the series of matches Madusa had with bull nakano, akira hokito, and luna vachon in late 96/majority of 97 in WCW. Legitmately rockin and rollin. Easily on par with most of the mid-card entertainment wise, and BETTER than what much of WWE's current mid card gives us. It can be that, if the right workers are hired, and they are allowed to fully go all out.

Realistically though, the best we can hope for from the WWE ilk is for them to be managers, and not waste more than one segment per show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGlass View Post
Big E Langston healed me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
Although, I can see where the subtlety of that would escape you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelgarin View Post
What an eloquent and well made selection of counter points.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 AM
Lost all hope of a happy ending
WWF Hardcore Champion

Rainbow Yaz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rainbow Yaz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rainbow Yaz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rainbow Yaz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rainbow Yaz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rainbow Yaz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rainbow Yaz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rainbow Yaz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rainbow Yaz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rainbow Yaz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rainbow Yaz is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Send a message via Skype™ to Rainbow Yaz

They need to pick a direction and go with it.

A lot of people complain that only girls with model looks get hired. I'm not opposed to them hiring models and then training them to be passable wrestlers. It worked with Eve. She may not be the best female wrestler in the world but she can hold her own. When they do that though they need to seriously train them and keep them off TV until they are ready. Look at Alicia Fox. Johnny Ace saw her in a clothing catalog and pushed for her hire. That is fine if you properly train them, but she is awful. Her timing is everywhere and she hurts people.

Then you have those like Beth Phoenix. She was good and had a solid range of moves, but she couldn't connect with the crowd.

That has been a big issue. They can't find the balance, and I believe some of it may be a lack of screen time and character development for the girls. AJ is over right now because she plays a character. Eve gets a response because she was in a high profile storyline and plays a character. For a time when Kaitlyn was on TV more often than not, she was over. They can't just make one girl champ then have random girls come out to face her each night. They need to be consistent.

Honestly if we want the Diva division to be better we are all going to have to tolerate some shit matches and segments while they sort out who is worth pushing and who is better served for managerial duties. We all have to take a bite of the shit sandwich before it gets better.

Cheers Grizz
sendpm.gif