WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Da bos o da bosless
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

TM Punk is looking to come up from OCW...TM Punk is looking to come up from OCW...TM Punk is looking to come up from OCW...TM Punk is looking to come up from OCW...TM Punk is looking to come up from OCW...TM Punk is looking to come up from OCW...TM Punk is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via AIM to TM Punk
Default Sting to the WW...F

This is NOT and Undertaker vs Sting thread, nor should it be made into one. I recently watched the Ric Flair bio on Netflix, and he said something that really got me to thinking. He said of Sting, that he's had one of the greatest careers ever in the industry. But that the biggest mistake of his career was not signing on with Vince McMahon in the 80's, and opting to stay south.
He goes on to speak about thhe similarities between Sting and Warrior, and how much beter Sting is than Warrior. The thing that really struck a chord is when Ric said "Look at all they gave him, and how little he appreciated it. Now just imagine if that was you."

Is what Ric Flair said true? Is Sting's biggest mistake not signing with WWF in the 80's?
Do you think he could have replaced Hulk Hogan atop the pedistal? Do you think there was even any interest?

I personally think that Flair basically hit the nail on the head. Not to say that Warrior doesnt care about the business, because I believe that as time has gone by he appreciates everything that it gave him. But at the time, he was out for one person. We all know that. I think that Sting's superior ability in the ring would make up for the tiny bit less charisma. I think that he could have possibly ushered in a new generation so to speak, a little sooner than it happened.
Your thoughts. Your Welcome.

-Chris Jericho
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 PM

HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...

My opinion on this is going to have bias towards the WWF because I never got too into WCW. The little I do remember from early 90s WCW was Sting/Vader. That was a great feud that I really enjoyed. Thats about the only thing I could tell you sting did before his crow gimmick (which was good but I prefer all american sting).

Never thought about Stings possible career in WWF pre Vince purchasing WCW. Replace Sting with Warrior.

I cant help but wonder how great Sting taking the title from Hogan at WM6 could have been. Late 80s Sting vs Late 80s Savage would have been pure gold.

As much as I would prefer Stings in ring ability over Warriors and wonder what could have been if Sting was in those spots......Im still glad it went down like it did. Warrior just that presence to him, he had the IT factor.

What about Warrior gets the same push and Sting still signs? How is stings career booked from 1990-1993/4 in the WWF?

As for Sting, knocking off Hogan in the late 80s/early 90s....no way. His run post WM6 would be like Warriors. When it was time to get the belt back to Hogan, his run would habe been over.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-12-2012, 12:41 AM

Antichrist is looking to come up from OCW...

I think Sting would have been perfect for the New Generation Era, he should have had Luger's spot. I think in 1991 WWE really wanted him, I think Bret Hart performing the Scorpion Deathlock was proof that WWE would have given Sting Bret Hart's run, if only he had signed.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 AM
I don't kiss nice!

Darkdarkdays is looking to come up from OCW...

I actually admire Sting for staying away from WWE, it's a brave move and even though he's not as big as the Rock (in terms of global super-stardom) he still carved a successful career in his own right.

As much as I like Ric Flair,most of his motivation to bounce between WCW/TNA and WWE was related to money and not for the love of wrestling,so I feel what he said was true but more from a financial stand point.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-12-2012, 04:36 AM

Kitten Cutter is looking to come up from OCW...Kitten Cutter is looking to come up from OCW...Kitten Cutter is looking to come up from OCW...Kitten Cutter is looking to come up from OCW...

My question is this:

Would the WWF have signed both of them, or just one of them?

One was the Dingo Warrior, which turned into the Ultimate Warrior. The other was left hanging and moved on to stardom in a new place. Then again, if Sting had followed him, maybe asked for a tryout or Warrior had gone to bat for him, what role could he have played. Maybe Sting would have called "The Flash" or "The Sting" and been similar to Warrior's character. Remember that Warrior won the WWF title from Hogan on April 1, 1990; Sting won his first WCW title on July 7, 1990, so it stands to believe that if stardom equaled up, it could have been Hogan vs. Sting for Wrestlemania 6. Or, if the WWF wanted Sting to have Bret Hart's path, (assuming Bret stayed in the tag team ranks) he would beaten Mr. Perfect at Summerslam '91 for the Intercontinental title, and led up to Sting vs. Flair in 1992, and probably at Summerslam '92 instead of the obscure house show.

The big thing is how many careers it would have affected. First off, Sting was very over with the fans, so if the creative team played it right, Sting would have been the #2 face in the company. (his mic skills would make him more marketable than Warrior) Warrior would have taken a bit of a back seat, and probably have taken longer to win the WWF Title. Bret Hart's singles push would have been delayed. Flair leaving WCW in 1991 would probably have buried the company, unless they used someone new in the Sting role, like Brian Pillman or maybe even Shane Douglas, giving him no reason to sign with Eastern Championship Wrestling, and later helping to start Extreme Championship Wrestling.

Domino effect...
sendpm.gif
Old 12-12-2012, 04:51 AM

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

sting for sure would have taken warriors spot at wm6 and he wouldve done 1000x better job with it than warrior did
sendpm.gif
Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 AM

fenderjapan is looking to come up from OCW...fenderjapan is looking to come up from OCW...fenderjapan is looking to come up from OCW...

IMO Sting was right to stay away from WWE until WCW folded. It was part of his thing. And holding out for a while was good too. But going to TNA was a mistake. He deserves better than being on pro wrestling's D-Show. I understand he didn't want to get screwed by Vinnie Mac, which is fine, but he would have been better off making appearances overseas or working sparingly for other promotions than making himself a big fish in a tiny pond with TNA.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 AM

Agent_of_Anarchy is looking to come up from OCW...

Stings biggest mistake wasn't not signing on with the E in the 80's, it was not signing with the E after WCW folded. Sting was a huge part of why WCW won the ratings war for as long as they did. Sting chose yo retire for a few years, fair enough. But as much as I've enjoyed his TNA career, WWE should of been where he went. He could have had classics with Taker, HBK, Rock, Triple H, Kane....the list could go on.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 AM
POST OUTTA NOWHERE!!

Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...Silverback worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Sting was and is absolutely great, he is by far better than Ultimate Warrior, and I don't know if he isn't more popular than him. I remember watching Clash of The Champions where Ric Flair defended his World Heavyweight Championship against Sting in a really fantastic match. As much as I love his 90's persona and some of his TNA work, I have to give him a lot of credit for working his ass off to become a good in-ring presence and a good character in the 80's.

Now as far as dethroning Hulk Hogan, you can't really tell. He would work in the WWF that's for sure, he was interesting, energetic and an easy face to cheer for. He would make the best out of it, and one way or another we would probably see him headlining a WrestleMania against the likes of Hulk Hogan. But it's true, Sting has a great career but the fact that he never had a match, a singles match at WrestleMania is something that hurts is amazing career more than other things, however I can still dream for that day I guess.

But, despite the fact that he wasn't at WrestleMania, he had a great run over at WCW with a fantastic feud with Hollywood Hogan and the NWO. He was the hottest thing going that year, people really loved him and that is one of the reasons that years later fans can still remember how great he was. In the Golden Era he had good reasons to break away and be a relevant star in the WWF, in the Attitude Era he would probably have been one of the stars of the company and nowadays he would still be relevant enough to be part of a dream/pass the torch kind of match. Sting is the proof that if you are talented enough, you don't need the WWE's machine to be successful.

~~ ICHI-BAN-SUGEE-NO-WA PURORESU NAN-DA-YO! ~~
sendpm.gif
Old 12-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Book This- WWF 2002 Brand Extension

NotoriousMEAT is looking to come up from OCW...NotoriousMEAT is looking to come up from OCW...NotoriousMEAT is looking to come up from OCW...

In short, I find Sting signing with WWF in the 80's one of the most intriguing "what if" scenario's in all of wrestling. If someone were to maybe, idk, play out his WWF arrival in a book this thread here in the forums *coughcough* I'd keep up with it.
sendpm.gif