WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: The best WRESTLER of all time
Kurt Angle 27 55.10%
Bret Hart 8 16.33%
Ric Flair 3 6.12%
Frank Gotch 1 2.04%
Buddy Rodgers 0 0%
George Tragos 0 0%
Lou Thesz 5 10.20%
Other 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 PM
How Damn Good Am I?!
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Brewski is looking to come up from OCW...Brewski is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiatic7 View Post
This thread seems to be geared towards, who is the best amateur wrestler. If we are talking about PRO WRESTLING, you have to factor in the entertainment and ring psycology as well.
The problem with these type of threads is the incredibly loose definition of what a "Wrestler", "In-ring performer", or "technician" is. If you look between the different threads the same wrestlers often pop up because everyone has a different idea of what the thread is asking.

The best WRESTLER to ever step into a professional wrestling ring is Kurt Angle. Based on purely factual evidence and awards, he's the best. /thread.

If you want to talk about technical wrestlers then you can bring in Hart, Malenko, and my personal but controversial favorite: Chris Benoit.

Otherwise we can argue all day about which wrestler looked the most real at fake wrestling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski
I am the "IT" Factor of professional WZForuming.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2012, 04:07 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

midgensa is looking to come up from OCW...midgensa is looking to come up from OCW...midgensa is looking to come up from OCW...midgensa is looking to come up from OCW...midgensa is looking to come up from OCW...midgensa is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via AIM to midgensa

I think that if we are going after this on a "wrestling as a sport" aspect and "technical" ability then it is not even close.

Kurt Angle won a GOLD MEDAL with a broken frickin neck. Ask him.

I mean ... all of these other guys are great "technicians" or whatever, but they didn't do the real thing. Hell, Brock Lesnar should probably be on this list if we are talking about people in the Pro Wrestling Industry and their ability to actually wrestle.

As far as "technical" wrestler in the ring ... it is an overrated term that is often thrown around by smarks in an attempt to make ourselves feel smarter than the average fan who just likes Cena's 5MoD. The truth is ... there really is no such thing as "technical" wrestling because everyone in the ring is acting and it all comes down to two guys working together.

I have watched many a Benoit vs. Hart match that was very entertaining ... but they were not anymore entertaining than John Cena vs. Rob Van Dam at One Night Stand. So, I definitely think "technical" is a little overrated, but I definitely enjoy it here and there.

In the end though ... nobody really puts on a wrestling clinic like Kurt Angle when he really wants to and when an opponent will let him throw him around like a limp fish.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Really depends on your definition of "Wrestler" - simply are we looking just at a guy's ability to do a wide variety of moves, take a wide variety of falls, and be able to sell the legitimacy to the audience (unlike a lot of younger wrestlers who simply move from one spot to the next, never selling anything, and looking totally fake doing it). OR are we considering the athletic side along with the entertainment side (promos, crowd reactions, etc). Do we ignore drawing ability and popularity also ?

Since the 1970s which is when I started watching I think the Steamboat and Benoit excelled at the physical side, many different maneauvers, ability to take a variety of falls, always sold the believability of pain, exhaustion, etc to the audience, they made it look real. Steamboat had a good career but he always comes up short in conversations about "the best" all time against guys like Flair & HBK due to his relatively stable, safe, personna. He wasnt as entertaining on skits or promos but he could deliver a great match. Likewise Benoit was always criticized for his below average mic skills and supposed lack of charisma. His athleticism and abilty to sell in the ring helped him overcome a lot of that but as a complete package he always looked a step behind guys like HHH, HBK, Jericho, etc. Jericho has always had a very good combination of promotability outside the ring and ability within but his career has never reached the heights of say Flair or The Rock. Brett Hart was tremendous in the ring, and had a successful run in the 90s in both WWE & WCW, but he was never the equal of Flair & HBK on the mic for entertainment value although they both could come close to him in the ring. In terms of drawing power and longevity HBK falls short vs Flair, but Hogan was a bigger star than all of them but probably the least talented (although under rated) in the ring of anyone mentioned in this post. Austin was a huge star, he also could deliver great matches along with his mic work...is he the best al time, maybe a step slower than Flair, Hart, or HBK in the ring but above them all to varying degrees in drawing power, better than Hogan in the ring by a wide margin but a veritable draw against him in star power, slightly better than Rock in the ring but equal or better on the mic ? Lets not shortchange Kurt Angle... he may have been better than all of them at selling and being believable with a wide degree of offense and ability to take falls in the ring and he was very entertaining on the mic, a major star but the equal of Hogan, Austin, or Flair or Rock, but very close, maybe equal or better than Hart in the ring but with a less resounding sesume (though he has a great resume). Where does Sting fit in ?

It's all too subjective. In the end people have personal favorites for different reasons, it's just too hard to judge.

Last edited by FlairFan2003 : 12-17-2012 at 03:19 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-25-2012, 09:34 PM

reeviint is looking to come up from OCW...

I'm going with Bret Hart. Sure Angle is an Olympic Gold medalist, but if we are talking about pro wrestling, I have to agree with Sally. Bret was as crafty as they come. He always knew how to win against all odds. When Diesel was too big and strong, Bret played "possum", faked his fatigue and beat Big Daddy Cool with a small package.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:45 AM

anvilx8 is looking to come up from OCW...

I'd definitley say Angle.. with Bret as a close 2nd!

I know it's said about many ppl "he can have a good match with anyone", but angle ACTUALLY could. And when you put him against another great wrestler - it'd turn into a classic. I only wish we could have seen Bret/Angle in their prime.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

fenderjapan is looking to come up from OCW...fenderjapan is looking to come up from OCW...fenderjapan is looking to come up from OCW...

I haven't seen a ton of Thesz or Tragos matches. But I went with Angle, just a hair over Bret. Reason being that he had an intensity about everything he did in the ring that was unmatched. And I think he made himself a great wrestler in an era where great wrestling wasn't really seen as important.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Earth Born, HellBound
WWE Diva's Champion

HellBoundPower is looking to come up from OCW...HellBoundPower is looking to come up from OCW...HellBoundPower is looking to come up from OCW...HellBoundPower is looking to come up from OCW...

If the definition of "wrestler" that is being portrayed in this post is referring to in ring, technical skills, I would have to go with Kurt Angle. Afterall, he did win an Olympic Gold Medal with a broken freaking neck! He's a legit tough son of a bitch with a crazy amount of skill both amateur and professional wrestling. I don't know if there has ever been anyone that was as well rounded as Angle to ever step foot in professional wrestling. And lets not forget that he's also gold on the mic, and entertaining as hell. He's the total package.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Knockout Champion

The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I gave my vote to Angle but not for the reasons most have posted here. It came down to Angle and Bret and the reason I gave the edge to Angle is because he was able to showcase more of his talent based on the competition he has worked with. While Bret did have great opponents that allowed Bret to shine like Shawn, Owen, Diesel and Taker, he also spent alot of time during his prime in fueds with older, or not as talented guys and that hindered the product. Angle on the other hand had the benifit of working during a time that featured so many talented guys that allowed Angle to showcase his best more frequently. For me that's the difference between the two because when I look at Bret Hart for as great as he was and how long he worked in the industry I still find his work to be incomplete because his time at the top was shorter than it should have been and while there for every great fued he had he would have another one that was the opposite.

All American Boys
sendpm.gif
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
King of the Ring

THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...THTRobtaylor scored a win over Santino Marella...

Brock Lesnar should certainly be on the list, he has taken his wrestling skills to NCAA, Pro and UFC titles so he is very close to the top of the tree. Kurt Angle would run close too, in that he has taken his skills to the Olympic gold... Flair was special but relatively limited compared to the others, his back injury kind of limited what he could do and while Bret was impressive, you could argue Curt Hennig or even Dean Malenk were his equals...

I personally pick Lou Thesz, he was the last of the great shooters but was responsible for a large chunk of today's wrestling moves.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Pain is the name of the game
NWA Champion

It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiatic7 View Post
A bit biased here but....I'm going with Bret Hart. Sure Angle is an Olympic Gold medalist, but if we are talking about pro wrestling, I have to agree with Sally. Bret was as crafty as they come. He always knew how to win against all odds. When Diesel was too big and strong, Bret played "possum", faked his fatigue and beat Big Daddy Cool with a small package. When Stone Cold proved too rough and rugged, Bret toughed it out and beat him at his own game. He out wrestled Mr. Perfect, he showed he can handle the speed of the 1-2-3 Kid in a classic title match. Basically, in any situation, Bret adapted and prevailed.

Like Mustang Sally said, no one ever saw Gotch, Thez or Rogers or any other wrestler from the Roosevelt Administration era.

I always held Bret to high regard. Outside of Owen Hart (who was more fluid and a graceful high flyer), Bret was who he claimed to be, The Best There Is Was and Ever Will Be...
Fucking this.

Not only all of that, but he made a career of almost NEVER injuring anyone he worked with. From what I recall, you can count on ONE hand the number of times Hart ended up hurting his opponent in a match. The guy made anyone look great. Just go back and watch his work with so many of the late 80's and early 90's "superstars" especially the 'roided up freaks who couldn't wrestle their way out of a paper bag (hi, Warrior!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne
The IWC aren't a real group, just an internal conglomoration of the people who say things you don't like.
sendpm.gif