WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 PM

SixMovesOfDoom is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Pondering Contemplations: The legality of the Atomic Drop

Has anyone here ever taken a step back and wondered about the legality of the Atomic Drop wrestling move?

I mean, think about it: here is a move done right in front of the referee that very obviously targets the groin area. And yet, lo and behold, the man who does such a move is neither disqualified nor threatened by the referee with disqualification.

Strange, isn't it?

I wonder if there was ever a time or has ever been a promotion that has opted to ban the atomic drop. Not officially of course, but to note in the storyline that it is an illegal move that is little different from a low blow.

Feedback? I look forward to it.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Heil Das Rulebook!
King of the Ring

Killjoy is getting phone calls from TNA...Killjoy is getting phone calls from TNA...Killjoy is getting phone calls from TNA...Killjoy is getting phone calls from TNA...Killjoy is getting phone calls from TNA...Killjoy is getting phone calls from TNA...Killjoy is getting phone calls from TNA...Killjoy is getting phone calls from TNA...Killjoy is getting phone calls from TNA...Killjoy is getting phone calls from TNA...Killjoy is getting phone calls from TNA...
Send a message via MSN to Killjoy

It's against the rules to attack an opponents groin. Not drop them on something hurtful. Otherwise draping someone on the ropes or tripping them from the top turnbuckle would be illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger Dias View Post
And for the record, my wife has a build resembling that of a blonde counterpart of Final Fantasy 7's Tifa.

WWE is too damn long and TNA is too damn short. But WZCW is 4 Lyfe. Join today.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Vae Victis
Knockout Champion

Барбоса is going to make some noise in the draft...Барбоса is going to make some noise in the draft...Барбоса is going to make some noise in the draft...Барбоса is going to make some noise in the draft...Барбоса is going to make some noise in the draft...Барбоса is going to make some noise in the draft...Барбоса is going to make some noise in the draft...Барбоса is going to make some noise in the draft...Барбоса is going to make some noise in the draft...Барбоса is going to make some noise in the draft...Барбоса is going to make some noise in the draft...

A normal Atomic Drop is completely fine as it is an attack on the lower spine/pelvic region.

However, within the realms of kayfabe, I would have to say that I have always found the inverted version to be suspect. It just looks like you are dropping your opponent balls first onto your knee.

Come to think of it, I am not sure I have ever seen a woman use the inverted Atomic Drop on another woman?

As for the draping of your opponent on the ropes or tripping them on the top turnbuckle, I can remember my younger self asking why that was not illegal. They really are no worse that a straight low blow.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Knockout Champion

One to Remember is looking to come up from OCW...One to Remember is looking to come up from OCW...

because they didnt knee u or punch u in the groin or hit you with part of the ring. your on the top rope, u fall down, your lost footing is due to your opponent but its the gravity, not him that hits you down stairs.. same thing for the actual life and drop.

at first i thought you guys were talking about that head butt from the top rope i think one of the dudley's done that hits you in the crotch, i found that questionable..
sendpm.gif
Old 12-01-2012, 04:34 PM

Just Do It is looking to come up from OCW...

95% of wrestling moves could be debated. We are talking basic strikes only are legit, and elementary subs.

All slams require opponent working.
A sharpshooter requires opponent work.
And how is a stunner supposed to hurt me exactly?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 AM

BrockSamson is looking to come up from OCW...

It's been said already, but a lot of moves could be debated. I see no benefit to banning it. Hello its not even that popular these days.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 AM
SHUT IT OFF!
WWE Diva's Champion

Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...

I always thought the atomic drop and the reverse variation targeted the ass not the balls...
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Hot-boxing like George Foreman
WWF Hardcore Champion

Live Yáz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Live Yáz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Live Yáz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Live Yáz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Live Yáz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Live Yáz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Live Yáz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Live Yáz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Live Yáz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Live Yáz is getting some looks on Smackdown...Live Yáz is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Send a message via Skype™ to Live Yáz

Barbosa made mention of the lower spine, which is the region the move actually targets. If you watch when someone takes the move and doesn't go down they typically hold their lower back when selling.

The only blatantly illegal move targeting the groin are low blows. Even then some guys, Jeff Hardy being one, will do legdrops to the groin of a downed opponent and it is legal. Dropping an opponent so he straddles the top rope and then bouncing him up and down on the ropes results in a five count. Crotching an opponent on the top rope is legal as well.

Its wrestling.