WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News
Loading...


Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM
anvilx8's Avatar
anvilx8 anvilx8 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 129
anvilx8 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post

Are you actually arguing that CM Punk is drawing fans for ROH right now, even though he's in the WWE? And you're telling me to get a clue.

ROH doesn't have anyone who draws significant money. If someone does possess that ability, then TNA or WWE signs them, leaving ROH without a draw.

This is common sense.
When Punk was IN roh, he was drawing fans to ROH! Its that simple to understand. And to answer ur question, technically he still is drawing fans to ROH. ROH just put out two dvds about Punks time in ROH, I for one bought them and Im sure others did and maybe thats what got them watching ROH!
sendpm.gif
  #22  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Slyfox696's Avatar
Slyfox696 Slyfox696 is offline
Excellence of Execution
Undisputed WWE Champion
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Missouri
Age: 29
Posts: 5,625
Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvilx8 View Post
When Punk was IN roh, he was drawing fans to ROH!
But he's not in RoH NOW, so ROH cannot claim him as a draw.

Are you really this dull?

Quote:
And to answer ur question, technically he still is drawing fans to ROH. ROH just put out two dvds about Punks time in ROH, I for one bought them and Im sure others did and maybe thats what got them watching ROH!
Uh no. Nobody who doesn't already know about ROH is going to start watching ROH because they put out two Punk DVDs.

You're wrong in just about every way imaginable. Not surprising for an ROH sheep.
sendpm.gif
  #23  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:46 PM
anvilx8's Avatar
anvilx8 anvilx8 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 129
anvilx8 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
But he's not in RoH NOW, so ROH cannot claim him as a draw.

Are you really this dull?


Uh no. Nobody who doesn't already know about ROH is going to start watching ROH because they put out two Punk DVDs.

You're wrong in just about every way imaginable. Not surprising for an ROH sheep.
Haha. You need to shake ur head. He WAS in ROH and when he was, he drew fans. Thats what Im saying. And u cant deny that.
sendpm.gif
  #24  
Old 11-20-2012, 03:32 AM
braveh's Avatar
braveh braveh is offline
Registered User
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 214
braveh is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

I have to ask this question you. Don't you have to be the hardest of the hardcore to ever pay attention to the angles and gimmicks in ROH? Does anyone even care? I thought everyone watched it for the wrestling but you guys are analyzing the booking.

I will watch Elgin/Richards/Steen matches but it never crossed my mind to give a flying crap about any of the angles or "booking" of ROH.
__________________
Fortuitous wrestling-fan since 1997
Obsessed with with MMA since 2008
sendpm.gif
  #25  
Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 AM
anvilx8's Avatar
anvilx8 anvilx8 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 129
anvilx8 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveh View Post
I have to ask this question you. Don't you have to be the hardest of the hardcore to ever pay attention to the angles and gimmicks in ROH? Does anyone even care? I thought everyone watched it for the wrestling but you guys are analyzing the booking.

I will watch Elgin/Richards/Steen matches but it never crossed my mind to give a flying crap about any of the angles or "booking" of ROH.
You're a wrestling fan since 1997.. which tells me you're either too young to know what you're talking about, OR you only started watching wrestling because it was cool. So either way, to me, your opinion doesn't matter
sendpm.gif
  #26  
Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 AM
braveh's Avatar
braveh braveh is offline
Registered User
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 214
braveh is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

My opinion? It is my assertion that only a small percentage of those who watch ROH pay attention to the storylines/gimmicks/angles.
__________________
Fortuitous wrestling-fan since 1997
Obsessed with with MMA since 2008
sendpm.gif
  #27  
Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Papa Pillman's Avatar
Papa Pillman Papa Pillman is offline
I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
Knockout Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 795
Papa Pillman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Papa Pillman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Papa Pillman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Papa Pillman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Papa Pillman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Papa Pillman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Papa Pillman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Papa Pillman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Papa Pillman worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveh View Post
My opinion? It is my assertion that only a small percentage of those who watch ROH pay attention to the storylines/gimmicks/angles.
No offense, but my opinion is that your assertion is absolute bullshit.

The "hardest of the hardcore" fan that you speak of is someone who appreciates all the aspects that are needed to produce a great product. Sometimes great matches can be just that and they don't need largely developed backstories, but it doesn't work the other way around, a great build without a quality in-ring payoff is a waste of a great build. The converse to that is if you only have great matches but none of them ever have the proper build you aren't giving enough people enough reason to care. Even hardcore fans of the in-ring product still want purpose for the matches to get them invested.

Hell, look at the UFC, even they try to portray the real life "storylines" behind most big fights, because they know more people will care. Even a hardcore MMA fan wants to know any personal reasons that may exist that make the fights more intersting.

I would assert that only hardcore NFL fans watch the hundred hours of NFL coverage presented by NFLNetwork, ESPN etc. leading into every weeks action, and those shows are as much about the week's "storylines" as they are about game analysis.

Hardcore fans care brother. That is fact.

A perfect example for ROH is happening right now. ROH is about to head into its biggest show of the year, and the world title challenger hasn't appeared for the promotion in months. Yet, somehow, more people are excited for this match than any of Steen's title defenses. Why? Because most of Steen's defenses have been against guys that are only placeholders in ROH management's attempt to take Steen's belt. None of them have been built up for the challenge with significant interaction with Steen.

So what's the difference now? Why is it that EVERY true ROH fan is beyond hyped for Final Battle and a defense against a guy that Steen beat in the spring and who has been gone since? Easy... because the match is the possible culmination of the most compelling, coherent, well-conceived, well-written, and consistently well-executed longterm storyline to play out in wrestling in over a decade.

Would Roddy against Elgin be great with no storyline. Sure. Is it better because there's a great storyline? Much. Is a tag match with O'Reilly on one side and Davey on the other almost a lock to deliver? I'd say yes. Is it even more sure to deliver because of a good slow burn of animosity? Yeah. Would anyone at all care about a match between Cole and Hardy if ROH had not attempted to build some angle attached to it. Not likely, and even more to my point most still don't care; why? because the angle is so badly conceptualized to begin with(to the point of the thread its another bad example of Cornette's shitty booking, but Delirious is backed into the corner and can't not present the match now).

Would a Steen/Generico ladder war be a potential classic with zero build? Likely. Does the fact that its ten times more personal than say the matchup between Roode and Storm at Lockdown or BFG could have ever hoped to have been make it that much more awesome that the expectations are blown through the roof? Hell Yes. Because a storyline like this means everything. Especially to the hardcore fan.
__________________
sendpm.gif
  #28  
Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 AM
One to Remember One to Remember is offline
Registered User
Knockout Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 621
One to Remember is looking to come up from OCW...One to Remember is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
But he's not in RoH NOW, so ROH cannot claim him as a draw.

Are you really this dull?
It doesnt matter, Punk being prominent and Punk being different is going to make people wonder about his background, origins, and formative years. ROH is going to hold a vision into that. I was always interested in ECW because of the acts and presence of ECW alumni in WCW and the WWF not because of ECW itself. Because of Curt Hennig and Scott Hall and because of the commentary of Lawler and Zyszko alone i jumped at the chance to watch AWA Wrestling on ESPN Classics. Now granted at the time it was 14 years too late to help the AWA but still.. Alumns make good ambassadors..
sendpm.gif
  #29  
Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Texas Tornado's Avatar
Texas Tornado Texas Tornado is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Parts Unknown, Texas
Posts: 52
Texas Tornado is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Cornette is really talented in his booking. Look to the Supershow in the April of 2011. Jimmy Jacobs returned as a complete surprise. It was a wrong move on ROH's part to remove him. Their production value has only narrowly improved. Shelton Benjamin is one of their top stars and he doesnt really have a big name to go up against.
__________________
sendpm.gif
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"
Contact Us - Clear Cookies - Lost Password - WrestleZone Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Top - AdChoices

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
WrestleZone.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.