WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > Non-Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

scomvp316 is looking to come up from OCW...scomvp316 is looking to come up from OCW...

Actually the teams he help to add that most have not been highly successful over a long-term tenure are Anaheim,San Jose,Phoenix,Dallas,Nashville,Columbus,Tampa Bay,Florida,Atlanta. The one exception is obvious Dallas who during most of their tenure they have made the playoffs. There is no doubt Nordiques and North Stars had to move. I believe when Bettman took over there were only 17 teams in the league. He does get credit for the success for Dallas,Colorado,San Jose,Anaheim,and Carolina. Many critics believe most of those markets hockey wouldn't last. If you read my post I mentioned the best thing Bettman did was expand the league digitally and doing that will increase your profit margin for both tickets and merchandise. There was nothing wrong with the old names for the divisions and conferences because thats what made the NHL unique compared to other leagues. People who made mass sacrifices and success to hockey were honored other than just naming trophies after them. The ideas I mentioned I know most of them will not see the light of day because of the lack of marketing ideas from the top brass of the NHL. The one idea that did has worked for the NHL was NHL Center Ice. Bettman completely screwed those fans over by having a deal with NBCUniversal in the last playoff session. Most of the highest rating for NHL Center Ice Games were out of market playoff games. The ratings on NBCUniversal compared to the previous year of playoff games were as much as 50% decline. People can talk about how many total viewers NBC got but thats over multiple channels and if any fan figures out the total viewers divided by playoff games thats around 2.5 mill fans which would equate to about 1.6-1.8 rating. I have played hockey semi-professional and my family owns a hockey retail store in Canada so I do know the history of the game and what could and should work. That doesn't mean other fans know more or less than I do and their opinion is valued as much as anyones. I find it comical when any type of fans might say hockey works in warm climates and the only new warmer climate teams that have been successful are Carolina,Dallas,and Anaheim. All most all of the teams Bettman has added have been a failure on most levels except the previous three teams I have mentioned!

Last edited by scomvp316 : 11-13-2012 at 09:42 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 PM

scomvp316 is looking to come up from OCW...scomvp316 is looking to come up from OCW...

I apologize for some of misinformation. Actually Bettman under his leadership has added a total of six teams. Thats what happens when you have multiple dates in your head when teams came into existence. I do welcome an open forum discussion and wonder what concepts some fans think could increase viewership for the NHL?
sendpm.gif
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Pain is the name of the game
NWA Champion

It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scomvp316 View Post
Actually the teams he help to add that most have not been highly successful over a long-term tenure are Anaheim,San Jose,Phoenix,Dallas,Nashville,Columbus,Tampa Bay,Florida,Atlanta. The one exception is obvious Dallas who during most of their tenure they have made the playoffs. There is no doubt Nordiques and North Stars had to move. I believe when Bettman took over there were only 17 teams in the league. He does get credit for the success for Dallas,Colorado,San Jose,Anaheim,and Carolina. Many critics believe most of those markets hockey wouldn't last. If you read my post I mentioned the best thing Bettman did was expand the league digitally and doing that will increase your profit margin for both tickets and merchandise. There was nothing wrong with the old names for the divisions and conferences because thats what made the NHL unique compared to other leagues. People who made mass sacrifices and success to hockey were honored other than just naming trophies after them. The ideas I mentioned I know most of them will not see the light of day because of the lack of marketing ideas from the top brass of the NHL. The one idea that did has worked for the NHL was NHL Center Ice. Bettman completely screwed those fans over by having a deal with NBCUniversal in the last playoff session. Most of the highest rating for NHL Center Ice Games were out of market playoff games. The ratings on NBCUniversal compared to the previous year of playoff games were as much as 50% decline. People can talk about how many total viewers NBC got but thats over multiple channels and if any fan figures out the total viewers divided by playoff games thats around 2.5 mill fans which would equate to about 1.6-1.8 rating. I have played hockey semi-professional and my family owns a hockey retail store in Canada so I do know the history of the game and what could and should work. That doesn't mean other fans know more or less than I do and their opinion is valued as much as anyones. I find it comical when any type of fans might say hockey works in warm climates and the only new warmer climate teams that have been successful are Carolina,Dallas,and Anaheim. All most all of the teams Bettman has added have been a failure on most levels except the previous three teams I have mentioned!
Florida and Anaheim were in place before Bettman took office. The NHL expansion committee already had those wheels greased and in motion. The teams took effect for the 93-94 season, but the plan to put them in motion was already in place.

If you read the other half of my last post, you'd also see that I don't champion Bettman's decisions to move into "untraditional" markets. One of the biggest selling points for establishing hockey culture, as I'm sure you are aware, is the presence of youth hockey in the community. It's quite difficult, as you can imagine, to get that going when your'e dealing with a town with an average yearly temperature of 80 degrees or so. That's not to say it's not possible, as Anaheim and San José can attest to, but for the most part it's a risky business.

But regardless of that fact, you simply cannot deny that the financial situation of the NHL, despite THREE work stoppages under Bettman's watch, has been tremendously successful — much more so than prior to his coming into office.

Something most people don't realize is that Bettman really isn't the puppet master — he's the straw man the BOG allow to burn in front of their agendas. If you have major issues with the financial decisions made in the last decade plus, talk to Jeremy Jacobs and Ed Snider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne
The IWC aren't a real group, just an internal conglomoration of the people who say things you don't like.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 PM
ONLY $9.99 A MONTH!!
Ring of Honor Champion

justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...justinsayne is being held back by Triple H...

You want to "fix" the NHL then get the players & owners to fucking agree long-term on CBA. The only thing, or at least the biggest thing, keeping the NHL from moving forward is them having a damn lockout ever 8-10 yrs. They product we're getting on the ice right now is great, their playoff format is by far the best & provides some of the most exciting moments in sports today. Aside from lockout after lockout after lockout, the NHL is doing great, & just keeps getting better.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 AM

The smartest thing Bettman did was he took the NHL out of the dark ages where most teams were seen on tv regionally and he helped making NHL Center Ice more accessible over newer cable systems. NHL Games are being seen all over the world now via streaming and cable/satellite providers. I believe the NHL was the first sport in NA to have their games streamed live online. The only problem I have with Bettman is his stance on Canadian Franchises. It seems Bettman tries everything to keep US Teams where they are but when it comes to some Canadian Franchises that are struggling he's so quick to move those clubs to the US. Back in 02 Bettman wanted to move the Flames and didn't understand the importance of the Flames to the community. Only one owner voted to move the Flames and then the following season they made it the SC Finals. Bettman should get praise in taking the NHL out of the dark ages with exceptional revenue increases and major increases in ad revenues that didn't exist before he became the Commish! Many fans believe he is a Anti-Canadian Commish with his stances on Canadian Franchises and the continuance of The Heritage Classic

Last edited by scomvp316 : 11-14-2012 at 08:33 AM.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 PM

I do believe with positive presentation changes will drastically affect the NHL's bottom line which we all have seen since 05-06 Season. The one way to enhance the presentation is expand the ice sheet to Olympic Size Ice. This would cut down concussions up the middle of the ice as the game would be played even faster as we see in European Leagues concussions are a non-factor as older players and overly physical players would have to learn how to skate to keep up with the game. The one thing the NHL must do is when TSN and CBC in 2014 are re-negotiating their rights to carry NHL Games then those two networks should be available in most hockey markets in the US. I do know for a fact TSN has considered in the past to air their programming in the US outside of Detroit and Buffalo which some cable/satellite subscribers get during the NHL season. I have talked to alot of fans and people involved with NHL about the possibility of re-alignment of conferences with the idea of having one conference with majority of canadian teams and the other conference with majority of US teams. For some fans to see what the conferences should or could look like look at my OP in this thread. I do think with past SC Finals the casual US hockey fan will tune into certain games in the Finals being supportive for their country's NHL team. The raw emotion of US vs Canada in NHL match-ups in the Playoffs is much higher than a routine playoff match-up. I think all First Round Match-Ups of US vs Canada will be easily sold to advertisers and even ESPN would consider some sort of partnership with NBCUniversal after seeing the first year of this concept if ratings were to be up around 25-33%. The last part is about the Outdoor Games. This concept of outdoor games gets back to the roots of all hockey fans especially the ones who have played this great game at some level. These games should only be played on special occasions. HOF game should pit the two best teams based off of the previous regular season's points of a US Team vs Canadian Team. The other two games should involve a Original Six Team but the game should be played in Canada on Hockey Day In Canada. The final game should be played in the US on the day of Hockey Day In America.

Last edited by scomvp316 : 11-14-2012 at 07:34 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-18-2012, 11:16 AM

braveh is looking to come up from OCW...

Not much will ever change about hockey because the fans are a bunch of never-change-anything-know-it-alls.
  • Hockey stats are stupid, a player could potentially win the stats rankings by just being on the ice a lot. Every player on the ice gets the assist point it seems.
  • If every team a fixed first line it would be easier for casual fans to get know the players and maybe one or two of them could become celebrities. Now it's FOUR lines with players being thrown around back and forth all the time. Yeah there's a lot of players in football too but in fotball the QB is so important you don't have to pay attention to much else if you're a casual viewer. You're going to tell me goalie is the QB of hockey?
  • Help me follow the puck on tv. When they tried the fox puck the hockey fans went nuts. Sorry they tried to bring in casual fans.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 PM

Actually most hardcore hockey fans are willing to change the rules if they make sense and don't damage the game. After the third pass is made and a goal is scored it counts as an unassisted goal. The old age argument of not following the puck has been DQ'd with the technology of HDTV and HD cameras that most networks use. If you don't know stars of certain teams and the faces of the league then you must not follow hockey much. Most of the big stars are the goalies and last time I checked much like QB's and Catchers in other sports is equally important.
sendpm.gif
Old 11-20-2012, 03:19 AM

braveh is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Actually most hardcore hockey fans are willing to change the rules if they make sense and don't damage the game. A
Point in case: You! "Make hockey popular again but wah wah wah don't change anything"

Quote:
After the third pass is made and a goal is scored it counts as an unassisted goal.
Ridiculous. It makes most of the hockey stats a big joke.

Quote:
The old age argument of not following the puck has been DQ'd with the technology of HDTV and HD cameras that most networks use.
And how many people now watch highlight reels on youtube and on their smartphones?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 AM

The real question is are you even a hockey fan? You sound alot like the majority of anti-hockey fans. The assisted play argument is the same rule they have in basketball as well. There is a small percentage of hockey fans that would enjoy games that would end it scores such as 5-4,6-5,and 7-6. If you read some of my posts I had given ideas that fans and management of the whole hockey spectrum have shared over the last few years. Go and read my posts in this thread and then come back and discuss what you think is good or can work and if there are some ideas you don't like I welcome your opinion. Also give some ideas some reasonable ideas that you think would work that doesn't damage the tradition of this great sport!
sendpm.gif