WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 05-11-2012, 04:02 PM

TimeIsWasting is looking to come up from OCW...

I don't quite understand why everybody keeps going back to Taker and HBK. I mean seriously guys their matches were good, but it was nothing new. It was the same Taker and HBK. It was totally expected to be what it was, and it was nothing more than what was expected. The HHH and Taker matches were something nobody expected, both of the last two matches exceeded everyone's expectations. Did any of you really expect the Taker and HHH matches to be what they were and tell a story like they did. I will say in the last match having HBK there made it a lot more emotional and went over very well. I would say that both of the last two HHH and Taker matches were awesome. I lean more towards the second match over the third, because shawn really did help make the last match much more than we bargained for.

One more thing about HBK and Taker compared to HHH and Taker is that at no point did you think that HBK was going to win. Not at all, it wasn't going to happen. However, in the HHH and Taker matches there were moments where you just weren't sure if Taker was going to win. You need to be honest with yourselves because you know it's true. So, ultimately which matches really sold?
sendpm.gif
Old 05-11-2012, 04:14 PM

RKOrob is looking to come up from OCW...

While not technically the best streak match, my personal favourite was Taker vs Orton, just because it's the only time I ever thought the streak would be broken
sendpm.gif
Old 05-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Sephyxia is looking to come up from OCW...

As far as selling, It did great. As far as the best match. No. WM 25 with HBK was by far the best IMO. Hell in a Cell wasn't even the best match on the card. Punk vs Jericho was way better. Its not even top 5 HIAC match for me. Nothing but chair shots honestly. Cell was hardly utilized. I walked away from it very disappointed.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

willross is looking to come up from OCW...

It is certainly up there with the 2 HBK encounters. The best 5 are probably the 2 with HBK and the 3 with HHH in no particular order.

Then on the level below that is the Edge, Batista, and Flair matches.

For sure the matches against HHH and HBK stand on their own, personally I think 28 is the best one. I put 25 in at 2nd because it was a classic that I am not sure anyone expected. I put 27 in at 3rd because I legitimately thought the streak was going to end at many points in the match. 26 comes in next due to it being another great match but I knew that with the Retirement stipulation that HBK had no chance of winning so none of the falsies had the effect on me they could have. Then 17 completely based on that it had great story-telling but wasnt better than the last 4 WM matches.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-11-2012, 06:11 PM

Y2J__Y2J is looking to come up from OCW...

For me it's tied..
HBK vs Taker at WM25 & HHH vs Taker III
they were both amazing matches
HBK/Taker at 26 and HHH/Taker II weren't as good as those matches, but were incredible matches with somewhat better storylines coming into the event
sendpm.gif
Old 05-11-2012, 06:56 PM
I will forever be the
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

AndThat'sTheBottomLine is looking to come up from OCW...AndThat'sTheBottomLine is looking to come up from OCW...AndThat'sTheBottomLine is looking to come up from OCW...AndThat'sTheBottomLine is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC View Post
For me, it was right up there with both HBK matches. But here's why you could make the argument it was the best.

Wrestling, when all is said and done, is about story telling. This perhaps utilized every single aspect perfectly, and not by a stretch, to tell this story. It was one of personal struggle between best friends in HBK and HHH. One of redemption from Taker. One of desperation from HHH on Taker. Etc.

You could feel the passion and precision put into each spot. The Hell In A Cell was used as the perfect backdrop, to showcase a structure that both men has a synonymous past with.

Not to mention, for as many believable moments HHH/Taker II had (including the HHH tombstone), there has perhaps been no greater spot in all of Taker's WM matches that made you think he would lose as the Sweet Chin Music/Pedigree spot did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0U3ILg0bNU Shawn's reaction emphasizes the story telling.

Overall, tough to say, but it's definitely up there.
EXACTLY!!! This is what a lot of people here don't understand. It told a story which is what wrestling is in general. If a match does not tell a sory between the competitors then what's the point? The Rock and Cena match was ok but there were to many slow moments and I didn't care for the pre-match bullshit either. Undertaker-HHH was THE match of the night and there is no close second except maybe Punk-Jericho.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Singularity_A* is looking to come up from OCW...

When it comes down to the story telling that was going on in the ring amongst Taker, HHH, and HBK it was by far the best in that aspect. And if there was ever a time where you think the streak was ending, this match was it. However, I still hold both of Taker and HBK's matches higher. With 25 slightly edging 26. Their first encounter, I seriously was taken back with the so many close calls and sheer wrestling. 26 wasn't as great a match (certainly hard to follow up their WM 25 encounter) but it was still solid with a little bit of story telling (got the chills when hbk was defiant until the end and Taker followed with one of the most intense tombstones ever). So that's where I stand with the best Taker Wrestlemania match. That said I would have the Taker/HBK matches barely squeeking past HHH/Taker III. Yes the pure wrestling aspect wasn't like the matches with HBK (understandable given it was HIAC, no one expects a straight wrestling match). But the sheet story telling propels it up there as one of the best.

Last edited by Singularity_A* : 05-11-2012 at 07:40 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-11-2012, 07:38 PM
WHAT??!!

smokeyjoe414 is looking to come up from OCW...

Takers matches with HBK were the best in terms of actual wrestling ability, the match at WM 28 told the best story, but for me his best was at WM 17, taker and hhh at their best and kicking the hell out of each other, with the streak only being mentioned once (as opposed to once every 10 mins for about 3 months before and during mainia)

Every time dann brien wins i die a little inside, thank you sheamus 18 SECONDS
sendpm.gif
Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

jacdnwarrior is looking to come up from OCW...jacdnwarrior is looking to come up from OCW...jacdnwarrior is looking to come up from OCW...jacdnwarrior is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelfin View Post
For reasons I won't get into here, I did not enjoy the HHH/Taker match from this year. I wanted to like it. My expectations were, perhaps, unrealistic as in the days leading up to Wrestlemania 28, I decided to watch the Shawn/Taker matches from WMs 25 and 26 which were simply superlative matches. Best match from Undertaker's streak, of the ones I've seen, I would have to say his match with Shawn from Wrestlemania 25. Their match at 26 was amazing too, but I pick 25 for several reasons. That match was longer, paced better with a slow build and big man/little man psychology. They really manipulated the crowd so well in that match. And finally, that match had Jim Ross on commentary. So, WM 25 is my pick.
Of the matches you mentioned, the first HBK vs Taker match was better. This year's match between Taker and HHH, imo, was a letdown. It had some good moments, but my thing is if you're going to make it a HIAC match, use it more. Climb to the top and battle it out up there. Slam the doors on each other, use the environment the way it was intended. If you're not going to use the cell, just make it a no dq, no countout match. Add to that there was a lot of waiting around to catch their breath. One hits the other with a chair, and they do a count, the other hits another the chair repeatedly and they do a count. I mean for all the build up, (which was less than for Cena/Rock, which also disappointed me) I thought they could have done a better match with better in-ring story telling.

Last edited by jacdnwarrior : 05-11-2012 at 08:00 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-11-2012, 08:50 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...

nowhere near it. Takers match with Edge and his first HBK match were much better than the HIAC match this year. The hype for HIAC and having HBK involved took alot of the gloss off it for mine, thats my own opinion
sendpm.gif