WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM
The Cerebral Assassin
WWE Diva's Champion

PlayTheGame worked a dark match on ECW recently...PlayTheGame worked a dark match on ECW recently...PlayTheGame worked a dark match on ECW recently...PlayTheGame worked a dark match on ECW recently...PlayTheGame worked a dark match on ECW recently...PlayTheGame worked a dark match on ECW recently...PlayTheGame worked a dark match on ECW recently...PlayTheGame worked a dark match on ECW recently...PlayTheGame worked a dark match on ECW recently...PlayTheGame worked a dark match on ECW recently...PlayTheGame worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default Should WWE Go With CM Drunk In The Future?

I've always thought that CM Punk's character can be taken in numerous different ways due to his straight-edgeness in an effort to keep him fresh. I've also kind of always thought that eventually, at some point, one of his heelish enemies would get him to (kayfabe) drink, and it would make for a compelling personal struggle. You could get comedy moments out of a CM Drunk as we saw this week on Raw, and his character could even go down a dark path via him turning to alcohol, maybe even a method in which to turn heel by becoming so dark and unhappy.

When it appeared that Jericho had gotten CM Punk to become "CM Drunk" this past week, I thought that they may have been going this route to turn CM Punk darker and possibly add a new dimension and chapter to his character. Possibly the most compelling chapter of his character ever. But, instead, it was all a ruse, as many thought, and CM Punk has still to succumb to alcohol.

So, they teased Punk falling into alcohol here, which makes me think that him actually turning to alcohol and becoming dark could be a possibility in the future. A possibility, in my opinion, that would make for an extremely compelling new chapter of Punk's career. A chapter chroniciling his descent into alcohol, him becoming a darker/heelish character for a time, and then eventually have him rise back to being kayfabe. I think that if nothing else, it would make for a great heel turn for Punk, if and when they ever turn him heel again.

What do you think? Do you think WWE should turn CM Punk into CM Drunk in the future as the next evolution of his character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpunky View Post
Mine was a train wreck. I plowed through her, And there was blood everywhere.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-26-2012, 03:07 PM

trinidad716 is looking to come up from OCW...

No I highly disagree. The thing is that would be against evey thing he really stands for not just character-wise. I don't think its a good look. Straight edge is a perfect heel thing in the same vein as Daniel Bryan's Vegan lifestyle. The both could be heel simply by saying Im better than you because I don't do this. I think the CM Drunk was fun but I dont want to see it as a character change at all.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Totally Reeking of Awesomeness
X-Division Champion

HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Bad things tend to happen when a drunk character is used. They did this with the Legion of Doom some years back where they used Hawk's drinking in a storyline and I believe it ended with him falling off the Titantron. It did not come off well at all, and I believe it was the end of the tag team. I believe Hawk died not long after. They did a similar thing with Scott Hall, and again it wasn't funny at all. I had mentioned in another thread that I am a sucker for when a heel pours booze down the throat of a face not wanting to drink. The examples I used were Jerry Lawler doing it to Jake Roberts then we saw it again last week on Raw. I have to admit it is a great heel tactic, and obviously real alcohol is not used. Taking it any farther than that seems to take the humor away from it for me. Now the difference here is Punk presumably has no real substance problems so if he was ok with it and it was done right it might work to add a darker edge to his character. This idea itself isn't bad, but I am not sure that it would translate well to TV. I was honestly surprised they had Jericho pour it on Punk due to the amount of kids watching the show these days. Maybe during the attitude era this would have worked, but to be perfectly honest I can't seen any reason to do this with his character today. With the wellness policy as it is, and the amount of substance abuse in the industry, I just can't see them going in this direction.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Puck her right in the fussy
ECW TV Champion

Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...Noticeably F.A.T. is a United States Champion...
Send a message via MSN to Noticeably F.A.T.

I don't think so. He was pretty entertaining Monday night, but if he was supposed to actually be drunk and had his title stripped, that entire segment would have been a total bummer with no entertainment value.

Besides, it completely tarnishes his character if he breaks his vow. He would never be able to go back to being straight edge, no one would buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
Making fun of people with mental disabilities is retarded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbakka View Post
This reminds me of Bruno/Zbysco. I didn't care about that either.

sendpm.gif
Old 04-26-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm a genius with a headache

Str8Edge is looking to come up from OCW...

It never will happen. Also, as a Straight Edge person myself I would never play such character. Even watching Punk play the CM Drunk character had me in disgust and disbelief. It felt surreal watching Punk walk out like that. I look up to the guy as a role model and the only thing that played through my head was, - if Punk really is dunk, kayfabe or real life, I would stop watching WWE.
I really like this story line too with Jericho for the reason that I can relate and can relate to Punk's character. If they changed him to this drunk character It would go against for everything he stands for.
If you're not Edge, I could understand you idea for his character, but being Straight Edge is much more than that and its too much pride. Even if it was just kayfabe purposes.
Punk's character is being Str8 Edge and it never will change because it's also his lifestyle. It's like having a hardcore Christian come out as an Atheist character. Would be ok/funny for a one time thing but definitely NOT ok for longterm.

Also, Jericho pushing the CM Drunk thing on Punk's face is just part of the storyline to further it. Not something that will happen.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-26-2012, 04:24 PM

oldmanfan is looking to come up from OCW...

I personally think it is one of the worst storylines ever. Couldn't the genius in creative come up with something less deplorible? I mean, C'mon,dumping booze in the man's mouth,sending a basket of bottle's,running down his family,telling him he's going to succumb? what a family friendly idea. What about the people in real life that have to deal with these problem's? What about the cool school bullies that hold down the kid and dump booze in his mouth that said no to a drink at a party? It Happen's! Maybe they could write it as Jerico bieng the one with the drinking problem try'ing to pass his guilt off on someone else, then make him go away. {He's leaving anyway} I'm surprised A.A. or M.A.D.D. or some other group hasn't filed a gripe about this. What's next? What about the Hardy Boy's or Scott Hall? The knucklehead{s} could have a blast with those stories!
sendpm.gif
Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Knockout Champion

Azane is looking to come up from OCW...Azane is looking to come up from OCW...Azane is looking to come up from OCW...Azane is looking to come up from OCW...

Straight Edge means I'm better than you is far superior, CM Drunk is bad mojo for the demographic that they're going with right now. Especially because there's no way it would end good for Punk.

They have so many better ways to push him heel (But why push him heel now? He's still not stale as a face)
sendpm.gif
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm trailer park trash.
WWE Diva's Champion

trashboy is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanfan View Post
I personally think it is one of the worst storylines ever. Couldn't the genius in creative come up with something less deplorible? I mean, C'mon,dumping booze in the man's mouth,sending a basket of bottle's,running down his family,telling him he's going to succumb? what a family friendly idea. What about the people in real life that have to deal with these problem's? What about the cool school bullies that hold down the kid and dump booze in his mouth that said no to a drink at a party? It Happen's! Maybe they could write it as Jerico bieng the one with the drinking problem try'ing to pass his guilt off on someone else, then make him go away. {He's leaving anyway} I'm surprised A.A. or M.A.D.D. or some other group hasn't filed a gripe about this. What's next? What about the Hardy Boy's or Scott Hall? The knucklehead{s} could have a blast with those stories!
Well, Scott Hall's real life problems actually have been on TV, remember WCW? Yeah, they had Hall come out drunk on TV and even "throw up" on Eric Bischoff. It was funny TV, but knowing about his real life problems, it wasn't that funny.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Jerichoholic since 1997
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

akathelaw is looking to come up from OCW...akathelaw is looking to come up from OCW...akathelaw is looking to come up from OCW...akathelaw is looking to come up from OCW...

It's a bad idea to kill his straight edge credibility. CM Punk is a positive role model to millions of kids like Cena, even if he's covered in tattoos and looks like Charlie Manson. All it would do is cement Punk's status as a heel, which is a terrible idea for any wrestler who can successfully get over. Much like another poster stated, he could never go back to the straight-edge persona which has defined his entire career.

Jericho and Punk came up with an awesome swerve that played out very well on TV because of the psychology behind it. Jericho wanted to see Punk's credibility vanish because he actually has it, and Punk used Jericho's predisposition to trick him into getting a beatdown. Props to WWE creative for pacing it well between other segments and additional props to Punk for his hilarious drunk impersonation.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 PM
The Sensational One

JaceEvans is looking to come up from OCW...JaceEvans is looking to come up from OCW...

Well I think what you guys are missing the posters point is that Punk in real life doesn't have a alcohol problem. This character could add a wrinkle to his persona that would keep him fresh and entertaining. It wouldn't be sad or mean because its just a character nothing to do at all with the real Punk. I think it can be entertaining as long as you have the right performer play the character and as far as I know Punk's a pretty level headed guy.