WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Mr. Wrestling
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

#heel420 is looking to come up from OCW...#heel420 is looking to come up from OCW...

Yes! Yes! Yes! I always loved the 6 sided ring. That was the 1st thing that caught my eye when I first discovered TNA back in 2004. It immediately set TNA apart from every other promotion in the country. I never completely understood why they would get rid of the one thing that made them unique.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

yoshi_doce2006 is looking to come up from OCW...yoshi_doce2006 is looking to come up from OCW...yoshi_doce2006 is looking to come up from OCW...yoshi_doce2006 is looking to come up from OCW...yoshi_doce2006 is looking to come up from OCW...

Six Sided ring made the matches twice as fast and exciting, four sided are more technical. Personally I think they would bothe serve a purpose if say you used the 6 Sides for Six Sides Of Steel Lockdown matches and Destination X, while using the 4 sides for the others.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 PM
SHUT IT OFF!
WWE Diva's Champion

Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...Hugh G. Rection is looking to come up from OCW...

People who criticise TNA always bring up the six sided ring, it made them different, okay fair enough but people make it out as if the six sided ring actually drew ratings lol it's just a ring people, it doesn't matter it's the guys inside it that count. And I don't know how a six sided ring would improve or worsen the quality of a match.

I guess it could just be unique to Destination X, I'd be fine with that.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-25-2012, 04:12 PM

blockanWo is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
it made the x division matches better as they could use it to do crasyer stuff. i wouldnt mined seeing it like once a year for a ppv like Destination X
How were they able to do crazier stuff? There are still turnbuckles. There are still top ropes. The quality of matches or the craziness of moves had nothing to do with the 6 sided ring.

I dont particularly want to see it back. It was a novelty.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-25-2012, 06:44 PM
the Rated-R Superstar
Knockout Champion

sTyLnK is looking to come up from OCW...sTyLnK is looking to come up from OCW...sTyLnK is looking to come up from OCW...

The ring is not needed. It made them different, but not better. With the exception of the x-division which some people have said made it better (which it didn't), what about the other wresting matches? 6 sides didn't matter or make a different. To me it was just stupid. Too many turnbuckles and ropes in the way. A ring is 4 sides. Keep it that way.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-25-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm trailer park trash.
WWE Diva's Champion

trashboy is looking to come up from OCW...

I don't miss the 6 sides one bit. Sure when I first started watching TNA and saw the ring, I thought it was cool and all, but after they changed it to 4, I didn't care one way or the other, like most fans did. Now, I wouldn't mind seeing it every once in a while, like a special gimmick ppv or something. Destination X would be a perfect ppv to bring the 6 sides back.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 PM

warchildrex is looking to come up from OCW...

i remember reading something back when christian first came back to wwe...he said that the learning curve of adapting to the 6-sided ring was pretty large, and that adapting back took some time too.

if this is true for other people, and not just christian...it seems like bringing the ring back for just a ppv or single match would be a bad idea. either bring it back permanently or leave it in the past.

personally, and this is just my opinion, i think they should leave it in the past. it was a little too gimmicky for my tastes, like they were just desperately trying to be "different" from wwe and mma. never once did their unique ring encourage or discourage me from watching.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 AM

blockanWo is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by warchildrex View Post
i remember reading something back when christian first came back to wwe...he said that the learning curve of adapting to the 6-sided ring was pretty large, and that adapting back took some time too.
I watched an interview with RVD a long time back when he first came to WWE full time. He said the different between an ECW ring and a WWE ring was insane. Purely because it was bigger. If that can have an effect on the in ring performance I wouldnt have a second thought at the Six Sides being a dramatic change.

The ring looks drastically smaller, which means the matches are faster paced - or at very least look faster. The ring ropes could be tighter and because theres more sides and less overall space the ring is stiffer meaning big bumps hurt a little bit more (when Tazz says the outside of a ring is the hardest part, hes not joking even inside the ropes that outside bit is quite hard, it doesnt absorb).

In the end it was a gimmick. It didnt really add much. It was really cool to see it back at Destination X last year and thats why im happy they got rid of it. Its not special if its there all the time. It was awesome having it back at Destination X cause we havent seen it in a while. It was cool because the PPV was about the X Division so the fast paced matches fit well with a ring that was a bit smaller.

The six sides was a nice experiment. They tried to get the UFC crowd into wrestling with a ring that looked similar. It didnt work, so meh. Stick with the tried and true ring and bring the six sides out for special occasions. Im fine with that.

Last edited by blockanWo : 04-26-2012 at 04:31 AM.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Pain is the name of the game
NWA Champion

It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...

I ought to just stick this thread, since it manages to find it's way to being re-posted once every two weeks, it feels, but I digress.

For what feels like the millionth time — NO I do not miss the six sided ring, NO TNA does not need it back, and NO it was not "original".

1. The six-sided ring has been used in Mexico, predominantly, for years prior to TNA lifting it. US fans simply were not privy to it, so it seemed as though it was something inherently original to TNA. It isn't, and wasn't.

2. Not only was the ring small(er) than a traditional four-sided ring, but TNA started with a four-sided ring, not a six, so if you are talking about tradition, then they're doing it the right way again.

3. Not only was the ring small(er) than a traditional four-sided ring, but it made for quite a difficult time among most veterans who spent the better part of 15+ years working their craft in a four-sided "squared circle". Guys like Steiner, etc. complained about not knowing how to structure matches properly (and they were right) due to not knowing the direction(s) their opponents would have to be thrown, etc.

4. It was a gimmick for the sake of a gimmick. It provided no tangible advantage to anyone, other than X Division wrestlers who utilized the shorter ropes to appear faster in the ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne
The IWC aren't a real group, just an internal conglomoration of the people who say things you don't like.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Causing a Ruckusfuck
WCW TV Champion

Rayne is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rayne is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rayne is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rayne is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rayne is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rayne is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rayne is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rayne is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rayne is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rayne is getting some looks on Smackdown...Rayne is getting some looks on Smackdown...

I really don't think that when people say "Six Sides!", that they really want the six-sided ring back. It sounds more like people are saying "2009!", and the change of the ring shape that coincided with the start of the Hogan/Bischoff era was a metaphor of sorts for the structural changes TNA was going through.

In a way, I do miss it, but I understand it was a novelty. US fans were unfamiliar with the six-sided ring, so it was a catchy gimmick to lure in the unfamiliar. I can't think of a single match that's ever taken place, however, that would have been better in a six-sided ring or worse in a four-sided one. I only miss the novelty; I can't think of anything particularly good or bad about the ring shape.

When people say "six sides", I think it's a catch-all term for how TNA went through drastic change in a short period of time, and became a promotion many of its fans were unfamiliar with.