WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-15-2012, 03:30 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...whoopin' ass is looking to come up from OCW...

older wrestlers do have a place in the industry but there comes a point where they can't be the top guy anymore. Take Hogan - we know of the various surgeries he has had over the last few years. while he is still in decent shape for his age, he isn't someone who you could make World Champ and leave the title on for any extended period of time - it just isn't believable. does that mean he has no place in the industry? not at all. he has a role now in TNA that fits his place in life. he is still a draw but he doesn't have to be in the ring with the title anymore. but he doesn't need to be the center of attention on the show either. his role now is to elevate others so instead of it being say "Team Hogan" for something, he now needs to be the guy who goes "no, my time in the ring is over but i know someone who is just foaming at the mouth to take my place" and give someone else the push. That seems to be the biggest problem when it comes to the older talent - none ever seem to say "i can't but i am behind this person who can". sometimes being aligned with these older stars can push someone to the next level. Would the nWo have been successful if it was just Nash and Hall? it is all in the usage of the older stars but the problem is we have never had a situation like this. in the past, a lot of wrestlers had their spot and even as they got older, they could always move to some new territory to wrestle again since it was rare to see them. now with nation wide tv, it isn't as easy and I don't think wwe/tna actually know how to properly use older talent since they just never had to in the past.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

mlp420 is looking to come up from OCW...mlp420 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Until TNA establishes some names of their own, their going to have to use legends and outside stars to establish their stars. TNA could easily have made AJ Styles, Pope, and Samoa Joe (and others) into big names, but they seem to fall victim to stop and start pushes, and TNA can't decide who they want their big names to be.
This is a major issue I have with a lot of people in the IWC. Many people resent TNA (and WWE as well) for certain wrestlers not being big stars because they believe there's some easy formula for them to make that happen and they just choose not to do it. Stars aren't made in wrestling like pancakes. Just giving someone a belt/main event spot doesn't make him/her a star. I'm pretty damn sure TNA would be extremely happy if AJ Styles and Samoa Joe became as big as The Rock and Stone Cold. But both those guys blew up because of the fans, not because they were booked perfectly. If you know you're wrestling history, you know WWE screwed up with both these guys before they made it big.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 PM
A Fan Of Wrestling Not Backstage BS
Knockout Champion

TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...

In my opinion, the lack of emphasis on managers, and the overuse of corrupt authority figures in wrestling has shaped how veteran talents are used in today's wrestling scene. I am not saying that this excuses the number of times we've seen guys like Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair get back into that ring. Although in the former's case Hogan's last "credible" active competitor run was 10 years ago when he was the Undisputed World Champion in WWF/E and held the tag titles with Edge. Afterwards his other appearances were very few and far in between. To expand upon the statements whoopin' ass made (which were some very good points) I feel there is a difficulty with how to use older talent. When I grew up watching professional wrestling in the mid-1980s, veteran talent that no longer could compete on a regular basis or at all (like Mr. Fuji, Freddie Blassie, and Bruno Sammartino) had a wrestler whose corner they would be in. A lot of managers were good to get over a lot of young wrestlers that either did not have the charisma, or just didn't know how to develop it yet. But just as importantly, the manager role was a GREAT way to keep an either semi or completely retired wrestler in the business. With this not being as viable a plot device in wrestling today, and at times has only been revisited in a minor sense in the ten years plus. Examples such as Paul Heyman's introduction of Brock Lesnar, Ric Flair's role in WWE with Evolution and Fortune in TNA, and Vickie Guerrero aren't a very effective continuation of how wrestling utilized managers in previous eras. Now I can't say for sure but if the emphasis on managers wasn't so reduced these days, guys like Hogan and Flair might have transitioned into these roles, and the course of their careers might be perceived differently these days. I don't know if the manager concept could ever be fully embraced again but I have hope, even if it's based in cautious optimism. It's sad to not see that either, because managers are a great element to add to the artform of professional wrestling. Yes I said professional wrestling, you will not get me to ever willingly or knowingly use that sacrilegious term sports entertainment to supersede the term pro wrestling. I might use them concurrently but I'll never forget the term pro wrestling EVER. Although I can understand the business rationale for the term sports entertainment, I definitely don't like encouraging it.

On the internet, if you're a Hulk Hogan fan, you'll have a cross to bear, there's no doubt about that, and I willingly take the brunt of many criticisms for being a Hogan mark. While I don't disagree with all the criticisms about Hogan (I think it's safe to say he's played his star power card often, but I'm sure he's not the only one), I still hold my ground on several things pertaining to the criticisms he gets. I will admit he's made himself the center of attention in TNA on several occasions, things could be worse. He's not ever been booked to win the TNA World Title, despite there being rumors in the past, and when he has gotten into the ring it's very rare. The tag match with Abyss against Styles and Flair, a match against another vet in the form of Sting, and a six man tag appearance overseas are examples of this. These are not exactly the most prestigious matches, and in the long run, rather harmless I would say. While things could change and someone might have the bright idea to give the belt to Hogan, I doubt it's going to happen. I mean never say never, but there have been several opportunities to do so and none have been taken. As far as his future as a General Manager of TNA/IW goes, we'll wait and see how the storyline plays out, I really dread this being a rehash of the whole Mr. McMahon phase in the WWF. While it might be asking a bit much as a fan, I'm hoping to see Hogan take on a role akin to Jack Tunney, obviously Hogan's charisma and physical presence is a far departure from the milquetoast Jack Tunney. But it would be nice to see the Hogan character take a role where he does not favor one side over another, and as a result will have to sometimes make very unpopular decisions in the storylines. This is the best way I think Hogan can interact with the crop of talent that is currently active like Roode, Storm, Young, Angle, Hardy, etc.

Again, it's all a wait and see approach to things, but you can't blame a mark like myself for being an optimist, albeit a cautious one.

Last edited by TheHitMark-SirJoseOle : 04-15-2012 at 05:15 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-15-2012, 05:59 PM

jrichardson25 is looking to come up from OCW...

I knew James Storm was incredibly intelligent. Those comments prove it. The man knows what fans like. He's not some guy that's been in the business forever and doesn't give a shit about what the fans really want. I feel like that's not a complete statement though.

He should know (I assume he does) that it does take time to build stars and if the right veteran puts the right guy over he'll have it made... (for the most part) but it is what it is and he is correct in what he says...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

New Hot Fed is looking to come up from OCW...New Hot Fed is looking to come up from OCW...

Just use the old guys better. For example Sting as GM or Hogan as GM just overwhelm the show, I think. Roode couldn't have a proper babyface to...face because Sting is such a big name babyface. Let Hogan show up to hardsell upcoming PPV or how about this: just him be the GM at the PPVs. Flair is a waste of money as Bischoff's lackey whatever. Let him act as a manager for a new group. Sting could be a novelty act every two months you market it as "Sting will be at this PPV, will have a match, just order it if you want to see him".
sendpm.gif
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 AM

Suq Madeeq is looking to come up from OCW...

TNA could honestly do without Hogan, Eric Bischoff and Flair. I say this with a heavy heart because I have followed Ric Flair since I was a teen and I am 41 years old now. All three seem to bring a negative atmosphere around TNA. For some reason, their names are not converting into higher ratings. Sting as General Manager was entertaining and we were starting to see the ratings inch up more and more. As soon as Hogan became GM, ratings are going lower, all the while matches and storylines are getting better. Another thing, please stop the Garret Bischoff push. Like James Storm said, the fans aren't stupid. He is a good looking kid who with good training could possibly make his dream come true. However the link he has with his Dad and Hogan, is killing locker room morale.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 AM

A_kennedy666 is looking to come up from OCW...

Yawn. Half of TNA and most of WWE sucks, Kill Em All and create a new federation headlinged by: Lesnar, Sting, Angle, Anderson, Jeff Hardy, AJ Styles, Swagger, Ziggler, Mcintyre, Orton, Del Rio..and the irrelevant others. And we DON'T want HHH or Cena , for the love of God.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 PM
The Enervater of Violins
ROH Pure Champion

shattered dreams is getting some looks on Smackdown...shattered dreams is getting some looks on Smackdown...shattered dreams is getting some looks on Smackdown...shattered dreams is getting some looks on Smackdown...shattered dreams is getting some looks on Smackdown...shattered dreams is getting some looks on Smackdown...shattered dreams is getting some looks on Smackdown...shattered dreams is getting some looks on Smackdown...shattered dreams is getting some looks on Smackdown...shattered dreams is getting some looks on Smackdown...shattered dreams is getting some looks on Smackdown...

I think there is some silly belief among the TNA original types that the company would have been better off without bringing in the legends and just keeping doing what they had been doing. I'd love for that to be true but just look at the consistent pops for the name brand guys compared to inconsistencies of the reaction the hard workers get even when they are wrestling their asses off. I think neither side compromised enough towards the beginning of 2010 and that was the real problem. I think they have been doing a lot better job of mixing the two over the past year and it has paid off qualitywise. I still think there is some bad blood there between the two sides though. Why can't they realize they are in this together?
sendpm.gif
Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Pain is the name of the game
TNA Champion

It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...It's Damn Real! is going to make some noise in the draft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered dreams View Post
I think there is some silly belief among the TNA original types that the company would have been better off without bringing in the legends and just keeping doing what they had been doing. I'd love for that to be true but just look at the consistent pops for the name brand guys compared to inconsistencies of the reaction the hard workers get even when they are wrestling their asses off. I think neither side compromised enough towards the beginning of 2010 and that was the real problem. I think they have been doing a lot better job of mixing the two over the past year and it has paid off qualitywise. I still think there is some bad blood there between the two sides though. Why can't they realize they are in this together?
Lack of direction from the company.

With a better company direction one known, and unquestionable by the talent that understands the common goal it's much more difficult to disgruntle your own employees.

A lot went wrong when TNA put all their eggs in the Jeff Hardy basket and it blew up in their face after having essentially given the reigns of the company to AJ Styles the year prior, only to pull the rug out from under him when RVD put pen to paper.

Factor in the comments RVD made about he and Jeff being bigger than the company and you've got a pretty hostile environment to try and create a union in.

I think that's settled much more of late, especially with the pushes given to Roode (especially), Storm and Joe, but it's gonna take a while before the "originals" can build up that trust again IMO, and I don't really blame them for it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne
The IWC aren't a real group, just an internal conglomoration of the people who say things you don't like.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Forward Thinking Nostalgist
ROH Pure Champion

The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...

It all depends on how they are used, too many of the older guys have that "protect my spot" mentality which is stupid given they are millionaires and over for life, Foley has the right idea about how to give back as a legend. I was disappointed recently with Sting not putting Roode over and practically beating himself at the end.
sendpm.gif