WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-14-2012, 06:29 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...

WWE consider Summerslam the Number 2 pay per view, so thats good enough for me. Personally i think Royal Rumble has more impact and shapes the storylines much better than Summerslam, which is generally when the feud after Mania end. The Rumble generally shapes Mania, far more important
sendpm.gif
Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

EastCoastFan is looking to come up from OCW...EastCoastFan is looking to come up from OCW...EastCoastFan is looking to come up from OCW...

I'd say it's a toss-up between the Royal Rumble and SummerSlam. SummerSlam is generally regarded as the #2 PPV of the year, but the Royal Rumble has a unique type of match whose winner gets to challenge for the WWE or WHC title at WrestleMania.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Defekt is looking to come up from OCW...Defekt is looking to come up from OCW...

I say Royal Rumble.

The WWE likes to promote Summer Slam as the second biggest event of the year, but honestly, few Summer Slams are all that memorable.

There really isn't much difference between Summer Slam and every other PPV, aside from maybe a mini convert now and then.

The Royal Rumble is one of the most important matches of the year. Everyone remembers who won and what year.

Also, it seems to be the most common favorite.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-15-2012, 02:17 AM

ner0 is looking to come up from OCW...

I'd still say Summerslam. The Royal Rumble is more part of the road to a big event more so then a big event to me
sendpm.gif
Old 04-15-2012, 03:20 AM

The_Gene_Genie is looking to come up from OCW...

I'd have to say SummerSlam for the same reasons that have already been mentioned by others; it is clearly viewed by WWE as the second biggest event of the year after WrestleMania and is promoted in a similar vain by using celebrities and holding a Fan Axxess event. Being honest though, I much prefer the Royal Rumble and Survivor Series events.

17 June 1955 - 14 April 2007
sendpm.gif
Old 04-15-2012, 01:54 PM

Antichrist is looking to come up from OCW...

I believe the Second Biggest PPV after 'Mania is Summerslam. Last year we had Cena v Punk, with Punk winning clean, and I believe this year we will get Cena v Lesnar, which I hope Cena loses. LOL. I agree that there have been many weak Summerslam cards, right from the beginning 3/4's of the matches have been filler, but Royal Rumble is guilty of that too. I believe that Survivor Series has an identity crisis, it only has one or two Traditional 4 on 4, or 5 on 5 matches. The payoff for the Nexus angle should have happened at Survior Series not Summerslam IMO, that was an opportunity wasted. I have given up hope of WWE using Wargames at Survivor Series, I think that Survivor Series was a concept that was created to capitalise on bringing the entire Heenan Family into play in the Andre v Hogan feud, and it worked, Hogan got disqualified and lost the match, but Survivor Series should have been a one off event just for that time. Survivor Series worked in 1988 and 1989 because of Ted Dibiase buying team mates, but i don't think the concept has worked as well since then, WWE should have used the NWO at Survivor Series 2001 as part of the Invasion angle, and utilised the great stables they have had D-X, Evolution, Legacy and others at Survivor Series and it would still have meaning.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
WCW TV Champion

MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...MCMG scored a win over Santino Marella...

It has to be the Royal Rumble. After the night itself, you know that you are on the road to wrestlemania. The Royal Rumble match itself is probably the most anticipated match of the year. It is so unpredictable and exciting. SumerSlam as really not been that impressive in recent years nor has Survivor Series.

Although Royal Rumble is definitely second ppv; if feel that the money in the bank ppv has the potential to be 3rd best if not second. Two guaranteed matches which has similar intrigue to that of the Royal Rumble and in the last two years the main feuds have been very interesting ( Punk and Nexus).
sendpm.gif
Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM
WCW TV Champion

LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...LoudClearVoice worked a dark match on ECW recently...

This is a really tough call, between Summer Slam and the Royal Rumble.

Summer Slam is the biggest PPV after Wrestlemania. It's basically what they're building (or should be building) all the post-Wrestlemania storylines and feuds up to.

However, the Royal Rumble is the "first stop" on the Road to Wrestlemania and is typically where all the Wrestlemania storylines either start to develop or become clear. The Royal Rumble match itself is a major spectacle.

I'm going to go with the Rumble just barely edging out Summer Slam due to its close proximity to Wrestlemania. What happens at the Rumble is going to carry over to WM. What happens at Summer Slam, may or may not carry over to Wrestlemania.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 AM
One-Winged Warblade of Mystra
Undisputed WWE Champion

Dagger Dias is a United States Champion...Dagger Dias is a United States Champion...Dagger Dias is a United States Champion...Dagger Dias is a United States Champion...Dagger Dias is a United States Champion...Dagger Dias is a United States Champion...Dagger Dias is a United States Champion...Dagger Dias is a United States Champion...Dagger Dias is a United States Champion...Dagger Dias is a United States Champion...Dagger Dias is a United States Champion...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias

The biggest show of the year other than Wrestlemania is Summerslam. We are treated to matches and angles that are of the highest quality, let alone the prestigious history that Summerslam has been building. The historical aspect alone makes it a contender for the honor of being the second best show of the year in terms of importance. Summerslam also recently began having its own convention just like Wrestlemania does. The only other show that comes close is The Royal Rumble and it is often a weaker card that sells on the Rumble itself. The history is certainly there though.

Just for fun I will touch on the other events as well. The top tier without a shadow of a doubt is Wrestlemania, Summerslam, and the Royal Rumble. Fourth is Survivor Series. It has grown weaker and nearly got removed but its history as one of the big four saved it and it remains an important part of the year. Fifth I would say is between Money In the Bank and Elimination Chamber, they have been growing in importance and prestige each year.

Night of Champions has significant prestige based on having every title up for grabs at once each year. Then you have shows like TLC and Hell In a Cell that sell on the gimmick matches but are less important overall. Over the Limit tends to have strong cards, but isn't important when compared to other shows. Last and certainly least in my opinion is Extreme Rules. It stopped being "extreme" years ago and is now just Wrestlemania rematches making it a complete waste of time most years.

"And that's the bottom line, because DAGGER DIAS said so!"
sendpm.gif
Old 05-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Forward Thinking Nostalgist
WCW TV Champion

The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...

For a while I think it was close between Summerslam and The Royal Rumble, but recent years have diluted the importance of winning the Rumble match and now I'd say Summerslam is clearly the #2 PPV of the year after Mania.
sendpm.gif