WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Sausage Farmers
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

The Idiot is looking to come up from OCW...The Idiot is looking to come up from OCW...

I guess I'll chime in now. Good responses.

When I look at these two matches...they're both unique in their own way. From bell to bell, even though Rock/Hogan generated a huge crowd response it was much tougher to predict the outcome of Cena/Rock. Unpredictability and the great counters both men pulled off is what does it for me. Rock/Hogan turned in the bigger nostalgia effect, but Cena/Rock lived up to the hype and pulled off a masterpiece.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

marklouis is looking to come up from OCW...

Rock/Hogan was much better. I'm not someone who bashes Cena-I can admit that he's capable of having a really good match. But, despite what WWE wants us to believe, he is nowhere near the level of Rock or Hogan when it comes to star power. He's the biggest star of the company at a down time for the industry. Hogan was the biggest star in wrestling at one of the highest points for the industry. He was on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Rock was either the biggest or 2nd biggest star of the company of another boom time for the industry. Hogan/Rock was just a much bigger event.

As for in the ring, Rock/Hogan wins there as well. They had much better chemistry than Rock had with Cena, & they did a much better job of bringing the crowd with them. Rock/Hogan is one of my favorite WrestleMania matches, not because it's a technical masterpiece, but because it is incredibly fun. Rock/Cena was not.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Nada is looking to come up from OCW...

Rock vs Hogan is a far superior event, notice i didnt say match because Hogan was never really good or even average. But nobody can deny that match blew the roof off the building, every movie got a bigger pop than most match endings in Mania history.

Cena vs Rock was a better "technical" match, but that means almost nothing when Mania is really all about spectacle.

Its not fair, as Hogan is/was a bigger star than Rock, and Cena will never even be 1/10 of what Hogan was to the mainstream crowd.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Wrestling fanatic 4 life

Attitude Era Junkie is looking to come up from OCW...

Easy one. Rock vs. Cena. Hogan can't wrestle. His legend status makes his matches seem better than they really are. He can't wrestle worth a shit. Rock is no great wrestler either but he sure as hell can do better than Hogan.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:12 AM
...Only if you believe.
Knockout Champion

byrnside is looking to come up from OCW...byrnside is looking to come up from OCW...byrnside is looking to come up from OCW...byrnside is looking to come up from OCW...byrnside is looking to come up from OCW...byrnside is looking to come up from OCW...

In my opinion they're two pretty different circumstances, granted the in-ring story telling of both matches was pretty similar. Hogan vs. Rock was special because going into the match Hogan was supposed to be the heel and by the time the match took place people were clamoring for Hogan's face turn back to the red and yellow. At the time I didn't really expect much out of the match but after you watch(ed) it for the first time and the crowd was going absolutely insane, that's what made it more special than anything, at least for me. The crowd was cheering Hogan and The Rock rolled with it and it was perfect.

I actually enjoyed The Rock and Cena simply because, for the first time in a long time, I really didn't know who was going to win. When Cena went for The People's Elbow and The Rock popped up and nailed The Rock Bottom and hit the 3, it was epic. For a time I was actually pulling for Cena. Up until the Monday before 'Mania in Atlanta, I was pulling for Cena. He had sold me on the whole "Rock doesn't care about the business" angle. Then I went to the RAW in Atlanta and saw The Rock in person again... And I melted like an ice cream cone in August.

Either way, they're both really great matches, maybe not from a technical aspect but for the "magic" that was created. Maybe I'm still high from this year, but I think I'd have to say Rock/Cena was better.

I love to talk wrestling, day or night.
blog: BadNewsByrnside.Wordpress.com
twitter: @byrnside
sendpm.gif
Old 04-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Serial Racist
WCW TV Champion

The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...

Buildwise, I feel that Rock/ Cena was much better. Rock/ Hogan was hurried probably because it was never supposed to be Rock/ Hogan in the first place. It had a generic buildup to be honest. The draw of that match was merely the fact that Rock and Hogan were two of wrestling's biggest stars. Rock/ Cena had that, and more. The thing that made Rock/ Cena a once in a lifetime match was that it was promoted as a grudge match. Most of us assumed that it was going to be another Rock/ Hogan in the sense that it was going to be another passing of the torch match. Guess we should have understood from the build that that was not going to be the case.

As far as the match goes, I know some people may try sending some polar bears after me once I say this, but Rock/ Hogan lived up to my expectations more than Rock/ Cena. That could be because I had lower expectations from Rock/ Hogan in the first place. Rock/ Hogan was a typical Hogan match with a great multiple finisher style finish. I thought that the storytelling in that match was more clear with Hogan showing that he still had it in him to go in the ring and Rock being able to emulate Hogan at every step. With Rock/ Cena, I felt that it would have been better had it been a No Disqualification match or something. That would have enhanced the feeling that it was indeed a grudge match. Rock looked gassed here at some points and the finish felt abrupt in my opinion. Some spots like the bearhug spot looked wierd in a Rock/ Cena match. Also, I was expecting a faster paced match here. The result was, however, shocking and that itself made the match worth remembering.

Overall, I would have to say that the Rock/ Cena feud was a better experience.

Last edited by The Rattlesnake : 04-14-2012 at 12:21 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-14-2012, 06:44 PM
WWE Women's Champion

thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...thebarber is looking to come up from OCW...

Hogan vs Rock is up there with Hogan vs Andre. Rock vs Cena may have been a better match as far as the in-ring product, the matches themselves though the Hogan ones will ALWAYS be remebered as the greatest. Maybe in 10 years time Rock vs Censa may have aged well, but Cena is not in the sqameleague as Rock and nowhere near Hogans level of icon status. So the answer is easy, Hogan vs Rock was way bigger
sendpm.gif
Old 04-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Totally Reeking of Awesomeness
X-Division Champion

HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...HBsam31 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Maybe it's because of my age and when I started watching wrestling, but Rock/Hogan even though it didn't have the build up of Rock/Cena seemed so much bigger to me. I really think the in ring action was better as well. Some say Hogan was to broken down, but I think his best came out that night. There was a lot of back and forth action, and I was on the edge of my seat for the whole match. Rock/Cena was good, and I was anxious to see who would win, but I just wasn't as invested as I was with Rock/Hogan. I have to add that the Toronto crowd helped make that match what it was. I think some people forget that Hogan was a full blown heel going into that match, and the Toronto crowd totally changed that on that night. It was actually quite amazing to see. Rock and Hogan didn't put on a technical masterpiece by any means, but overall I think it was the better match.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-16-2012, 04:11 PM

Jenna. is looking to come up from OCW...Jenna. is looking to come up from OCW...

For me I guess it was the age I was at the time, but with the Rock/Hogan match I don't even remember Hogan being slow and terrible the way some of you have mentioned. I do remember Rock though selling every hit from Hogan as though it was a knockout punch or hit.

w/ that said I think I'm gonna lead towards their match. Like I mentioned I dunno if it was because my age at the time, I just felt that was a huge huge match. The face of the company at the time, facing the legend that is Hulk Hogan. I mean from that crowd to Hogan practically turning face and Rock turning heel just like that was epic. You kind of knew the outcome to the match but overall it was just a memorable match.

Rock and Cena I agree the build was much better. I think the WWE did a good job in actually having people pick sides. It wasn't just oh this is a once in a lifetime match, but it was also more of who's team are you on...you have to pick.

With their match I felt the in ring ability was great and probably better. It really told a story in my opinion. For weeks you had Cena doubting Rock, I mean he even went ahead and said he damn sure wasn't gonna have a visitor beat him in his house. So with that said Cena overpowered Rock often. You just had this feeling that it really was a passing a torch type match. But Rock overcamed and kept proving he still had it, and that one split second that Cena try to mock Rock, he blew it. The guy who is constantly preaching Rise Above Hate, let hate overcome him by trying to mock and embarass Rock, and it cost him. Great in match story and even better ending.

But when it comes down to it. The better technical match doesn't always result to the better match. The crowd and responses in these two matches made them that much better and that's why the Hogan/Rock match is better. IMO.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 PM
WWE Women's Champion

FlairFan2003 is looking to come up from OCW...FlairFan2003 is looking to come up from OCW...FlairFan2003 is looking to come up from OCW...FlairFan2003 is looking to come up from OCW...FlairFan2003 is looking to come up from OCW...FlairFan2003 is looking to come up from OCW...FlairFan2003 is looking to come up from OCW...FlairFan2003 is looking to come up from OCW...

Cena vs Rock was a bigger match - Unlike Hogan-Rock which shared billing and build up with HHH-Jericho, Austin-Hall, & Flair-Taker (huge build up to that one) the Cena-Rock match was the focal point of the company for an entire year and was clearly THE MAIN EVENT of the show, hands down.

In fact, at this past WM, Taker-HHH is the only match that even comes close to drawing as much pre event attention as Cena-Rock. It's almost like asking what the biggest match at WM 3, yes Savage-Steamboat was very big, lots of hype, but Hogan-Andre was much more hyped, much bigger.

As far as the better in ring product, that goes to Cena-Rock by a large portion. Heck, they entertained at agood pace with multiple near falls for 40 minutes, Hogan was lucky to last over 10 minutes in his match with Rock, now Hogan as always is a master at knowing what he can do and maximizing it to full effect. Despite his non existant mobility and limited ring skills he managed to do enough to keep the crowd entertained for the whole match and the initial crowd reaction was special. No way can anyone watch these two matches and say Hogan-Rock was a more entertaining match. It wasnt close.
sendpm.gif