WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-10-2012, 07:09 PM

multiverseman.com is looking to come up from OCW...multiverseman.com is looking to come up from OCW...

Never understood the Nash/Goldberg criticism. Goldberg's streak was old at this point. It was actually the best way to end it....controversially. Nitro the next night, now that was a clusterfuck. Goldberg should've destroyed Nash.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Global Moderator
X-Division Champion

The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...The Brain is getting phone calls from TNA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neildittmar View Post
Not sure about top 5, but one of the worst PPV endings I can remember was Wrestlemania 8. The "big 4" PPV's were alive and well back then and Wrestlemania was still the grandaddy of them all. To be fair, the Savage/Flair bout for the world title was pretty incredible and at the time, I was shocked that Flair dropped the title to Savage. In hindsight, this match really should have closed the show as opposed to the proverbial train wreck that we got.

But no... Hogan had to be in the spotlight, at Wrestlemania, one more time. I'll concede the fact that this match was supposed to be a big deal, given that it was indirectly billed as Hogan's retirement match. I don't remember it being heavily advertised that way, but some definite allusions were made that this may have been the last time we saw Hulk in the ring. To that degree, the match needed to end in a decisive win or lose for Hogan.

Even back then, I thought the Sid/Hogan feud was pretty weak all the way around. This is despite me being a pretty big fan of Sid at the time. The match itself was pretty ho-hum, with the typical Hogan vs. [Insert Bigger Guy Here] blueprint playing out. Papa Shango missing the run-in actually provided for one of the few exciting parts of the bout when Sid kicked out of the infamous legdrop. It's sad when a "mistake" turns out to be one of the more interesting points of the match proper.

When Shango finally woke up and meandered his way down to the ring, the ref saw the interference and called for the DQ. So the main event of the biggest show of the year ended in a disqualification. That's an automatic minus in my book. The Ultimate Warriors return was supposed to save this attrocity, but the entire fan base (including me at home) was left doing little more than a double-take. The music was familiar and the get-up was similar, but was this the same guy? He looked so different. This is where the "Warriors Dead" rumors turned up no doubt. He was barely recognizable.

The main problem I have with the ending of Wrestlemania 8 though is that WWF had a fantastic main event in Flair/Savage that could've easily closed the show and left the crowd happy. The DQ ending between Hogan and Sid, despite the return of the Warrior, left a sour taste in my mouth. This was Wrestlemania! This was teased as Hogan's final match! To have it end inconclusively was borderline insulting.
I will agree with one part but mostly I disagree with this post. Hogan going on last had nothing to do with ego or his need to be in the spotlight. It was the logical way to close the show given the surprise return of the Warrior. Yes, Savage vs. Flair was a great match and a popular star winning the title seems like it a logical main event. For as good as it was the highlight of the night was the Warrior return. Imagine Hogan vs. Sid switching places with Savage vs. Flair. The Warrior's return wouldn't seem right in the middle of the show.

I will agree that Hogan vs. Sid turned out to be a bad match and the execution of the finish was terrible. Sid should have just been pinned after the leg drop. Despite the lousy execution the booking order of the show was done right.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 PM

JAK is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuma View Post
You, sir, lost my attention and my respect for your opinion when you claimed the Iron Man Match at WM 12 was a "dishonorable mention." What exactly about that match made it a horrible ending? The fact that HBK and Bret Hart put on a 5 star classic, with no falls, and it added to the drama that the time ran out and they needed overtime to decide it? It was one of the greatest matches of all-time and the ending just added to it. Then, you had HBK celebrating because his "boyhood dream came true." It was truly a moment and if you think that ending was bad, you probably have ridiculous standards.
I'm happy to agree to disagree with you.

My issue with the HBK/Bret Hart Iron Man match was the over reliance on the same rest holds for large parts of the match and the lack of pinfalls. I'm dislike John Cena and I find Randy Orton to be mostly uninteresting, but their Iron Man match at Bragging Rights (shockingly IMHO) was far superior whilst the Rock/Triple H match was outstanding depite the dodgy ending.

The only reason Wrestlemania 12 didn't make my top 5 was because the right person won and it was an important moment for the WWF, but the execution in getting to that stage was not in anyway a 5 star match by either wrestlers standards. The WWF would have been better off with a 2-3 falls match going for half the time, showcasing both men' incredible talents.

Those are my 5 cents worth, but as I said I'm happy to agree to disagree with you.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
I will agree with one part but mostly I disagree with this post. Hogan going on last had nothing to do with ego or his need to be in the spotlight. It was the logical way to close the show given the surprise return of the Warrior. Yes, Savage vs. Flair was a great match and a popular star winning the title seems like it a logical main event. For as good as it was the highlight of the night was the Warrior return. Imagine Hogan vs. Sid switching places with Savage vs. Flair. The Warrior's return wouldn't seem right in the middle of the show.

I will agree that Hogan vs. Sid turned out to be a bad match and the execution of the finish was terrible. Sid should have just been pinned after the leg drop. Despite the lousy execution the booking order of the show was done right.
I agree. Warrirors return mid show would have been horrible. Fast forward 10 years and Hogan/Rock goes on before a great world title main event in Jericho/HHH. I feel Jericho/HHH doesnt get the respect it deserves because everyone was still on how epic Hogan/Rock was. Now, Im certainly not comparing Hogan/Sid to Hogan/Rock but the return of the Warrior was pretty awesome at the time. Point being if we get the Hogan/Warrior reunion mid show it may have taken away from Flair/Savage.

Also Im kind of shocked on all the hate for this match. Even with the botched ending I enjoyed the build up, the big match feel, and the Warrior return. Top 5? No way but I dont see bottom 5 either. Also, give them credit for showcasing Warriors biggest talent: that was one long run to the ring
sendpm.gif
Old 04-13-2012, 08:43 PM

CenaBYW is looking to come up from OCW...
Arrow

Hi everyone, first post here and I couldn't start posting in this forum in a better thread. sorry in advance for any grammar/vocab mistake, I'm hundred percent Italian and even though I traveled enough to write speak and understand the beautiful language that english is I honestly can't help screwing up at times, it must just be in our blood.

#5 survivor series 1997: So much heat in the arena before the match, justified by what was going to happen. As the author said McMahon not only screwed Bret out of the title but showed how meaningless personal relationships are to him, thing that would be noticed by many others as WWF became bigger and bigger. I mean, If not even Bret Hart could trust Vince at the end of his journey in Vince's company, who could? The klique only of course: reason why I hate HHH and HBK, but that's another story. Terrible ending for a PPV anyways, they risked so much in terms of fan appreciation of the product. If I were following at the time (and if I were American) I would not have watched WWF for as much as possible just trying to help WCW finally put WWF out of business. Then Stone Cold and crappy WCW happened...but that's a third story.

#4 Wrestlemania 2000: already a lot has been said here, I just wanna point out that my feelings were not as bad as probably those of the people in the arena were, I just thought they must have decided that it was the right way to give Hunter "credibility" and that the victory would have been a crucial point of his career. Everybody knows that Trips would have made it even without that win, so he should not have. I just recognize it as a very very bad piece of booking, nothing personal. My beef with Triple H is somewhere else.

#3 Wrestlemania 28: Look at my nickname, laugh, leave me alone. I just do NOT accept the story of Cena behaving disrespectfully and therefore losing, I assume it has been already discussed here so Im not gonna externate my view of the whole story/feud/build up...but in my opinion Rockys win was pure, senseless crap.

#2 Victory Road 2011: wait, weren't wrestlers our heroes who, win or lose, would always go back on their feet and stand up for themselves?
Well, lil Jeff disappointed me over there, and the really sad thing was that he probably wrestled in way worse psychophysical conditions in the past but the fact that he was going to headline a PPV raised backstage's expectations on him. Never mind he was passed out before the match, I'm positive he got out there on drugs and amazed millions of people dozens of times, when he wasn't scared of this that and those. The main event for the world title, Sting, expectations, the long match, the one on one...all of those things concourred in that major fail that was Victory Road 2011 not only for TNA but for wrestling in general...and for Jeff Hardy, of course.

#1 Over The Edge 1999: The most disgusting decision ever made by Vince McMahon, far more despicable than the Montreal screwjob, the exploiting Of Eddie's death storylinewise, Eddie-Rey Dominick storyline, Mae Yound giving birth to a hand, Stand up for the WWE Campaign...combined together and doubled, tripled if you will. I don't think I need an explanation, Edge, Mark Henry and many more spoke for me the next day on RAW and told everybody why the love for Owen Hart should have made Vinnie go one step back, especially cuz it was a technical incident that killed Owen, and not an inter-talent fact (Bruiser Brody story, Misawa) or a wrestler's mind (Benoit, Pillman) or body (Eddie, Bulldogg) collapsing. When I saw the footage I thought that nowhere else in the show business any live show would have carried with its scheduled. It was horrible, just horrible.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Sausage Farmers

The Idiot is looking to come up from OCW...The Idiot is looking to come up from OCW...

I was in attendance for WM 2000 and I'll tell you, the fans weren't pissed because HHH won. They didn't leave the arena unhappy because of this.

This was a time when Undertaker, Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels were absent from the WWF and the internet rumors were buzzing about a possible return for one or more of those guys at the big event in Anaheim.

After Vince turned on the Rock and when the ref counted his shoulders down for the 3 count...everybody (at least in my section) had their eyes glued to the entrance way. We KNEW someone was coming out and making a big return (or debut).

But as we all know it never happened. THAT is the reason we left the arena pissed. Although I have to say, I was still high off that triangle laddermatch...that alone was worth the money for me.

Sorry to get off topic, I'll try and muster up a list of bad PPV finishes.

Last edited by The Idiot : 04-13-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:24 AM

bitesthedust is looking to come up from OCW...

One that doesn't appear to be mentioned is In Your House : Beware Of Dog. Aside from a storm which caused viewers to miss the bulk of the show, the ending of a double-pin was such a letdown.

I bought that PPV and was disappointed - I appreciate the blackout wasn't down to the WWF but I wonder if Vince McMahon considered changing the finish to placate the PPV viewers and the live audience?

Anyways, that aside - other pics would be:

Summerslam 1995 - a boring ppv with a predictable ending. Luger's run-in didn't make any sense at the time and even less a few days later when he appeared on Nitro.

King Of The Ring 1995, a flat ppv with a dull tag match, previously mentioned.

Lockdown 2012. What a stupid finish it was to have Storm cost himself the title in the cage match.

Survivor Series 1997 - already discussed.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Forward Thinking Nostalgist
WCW TV Champion

The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...The Eighties scored a win over Santino Marella...

Trying to stick to actual finishes as stuff like Diesel vs Mabel and Hogan vs Sid sucking are not PPV endings, they are just bad main event matches., and the Warrior returning was actually the ending of the latter. I'm leaving off Hardy vs Sting as the finish wasn't the wrong call, having the match at all was.

5. Uncensored 96 - The previous year Savage lost a no DQ match to Avalanche via..you guessed it, DQ, and Vader lost a strap match to Hogan when Hogan pulled Flair to all 4 corners as Vader wouldn't job.

However the Doomsday cage blew that stupidity away, one LONG dreadful ending that saw the main event heel roster along with some huge rent a monsters buried in a 20 vs 2 handicap match against Hogan and Macho.

4. WrestleMania 25 - Orton's heat had slowly eroded since the punt on Vince with both Shane and Vince making Legacy look like chumps by being able to go toe to toe with them, and the match was a soulless phoned in bore, but something could have been salvaged had Orton went over clean, but he didn't.

3. Roadwild 98 - Jay Leno pins Eric Bischoff to end a PPV........

2. WrestleMania 9 - Hulk Hogan is the biggest star in the history of wrestling and also the most selfish, he hogged Savage's spotlight at IV but at least he had the belt. Bret was essentially unceremoniously dumped so Hogan could take his seat at the head of the table back, it felt like someone had just pressed reset after 5 months of seeing a fresh face on top.

1. Starrcade 97 - An 18 month angle down the drain because Hogan once again couldn't simply take a back seat. Sting never fully regained his momentum after the screwy finish and I think it hurt WCW long term as it showed them as unable to deliver a pay off. It should have been wrestling 101 stuff, the face wins clean in triumphant return against biggest enemy in "Match of the Century"....Not on Hulk's watch brother!

Dishonourable mentions to WrestleMania X (Bret deserved to win the title with a better finish than Yoko falling off the ropes) and Mania 27, a finish that was essentially a trailer for the next years main event.

Last edited by The Eighties : 05-22-2012 at 06:32 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 07-23-2012, 04:00 AM

Kitten Cutter is looking to come up from OCW...Kitten Cutter is looking to come up from OCW...Kitten Cutter is looking to come up from OCW...Kitten Cutter is looking to come up from OCW...

My five worst: (and all of mine involve the World Title, or the bastardizing of it...)

Honorable WCW Mention (and previously unmentioned I think...):
Uncensored 2000 - Hollywood Hulk Hogan (c) vs. Ric Flair
First Blood Barbed-Wire Cage Match for the WCW World Heavyweight Title

So Hogan was getting cheered and wanted to be a face again, Flair was getting cheered but wanted to be a heel again. So they arranged not only the non-sensical double-turn (complete with half of the roster flipping over with them) but the WORST ending to a First Blood match ever! Flair cuts himself accidentally and bleeds like a stuck pig, but the ref doesn't stop the match. Then Hogan finally bleeds and the ref doesn't stop the match. Finally, Hogan is locked into Flair's figure-4 leglock and Hogan's shoulders are counted on the mat. A pinfall victory in a First Blood Barbed Wire Cage Match?! Ending the PPV on a very odd double turn?!

5. Wrestlemania 19 - Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle (c)
WWF Title Match

This is not about the match itself but the true ending of it. Lesnar goes to the top rope to finish off Angle. He sets up and executes the biggest Shooting Star Press in history...only to land 3 inches from Kurt Angle! He gave himself a concussion and was dizzy for the rest of the night. Angle had to get up like he rolled out of the way even Lesnar had already landed, then had to improvise the counter into Lesnar's F-5. Again, not a comment on the match itself, but what a sloppy way to end a huge PPV!

4. Wrestlemania 27 - The Miz (c) vs. John Cena w\ The Rock
WWE Title match - No Holds Barred

What an awful way to stomp on both your top champion and your top star. I'm a fan of The Rock, but the PPV in general just wasn't that good and the ending made it all the worst. The Rock is awesome but there's no way he should have been the primary focus for the main event. I was at a Wrestlemania party and no one was happy how it ended.

3. Wrestlemania 11 - Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

Nothing like pushing your WWF Title match with your two top draws to 2nd slot for a coked-out football player and a lifetime midcarder. Bam Bam did the best he could, but no true wrestling fan was OK with LT ending the PPV, especially when Diesel won the match and still would have gotten the feel-good moment from the fans!

2. Wrestlemania 2000 - HHH (c) vs. The Rock vs. Mick Foley vs. The Big Show
Fatal Four-Way for the WWF Title

I don't even care that HHH won the match. I'm more about the clusterfuck that became Vince turning heel for the 897th time, and for not bringing back Austin (who came back at Backlash) or The Undertaker (who came back at Judgement Day) at your headliner. Fans will forgive a screwy ending as long as someone or something happens. (Unless it's Wrestlemania 8...)

1. Wrestlemania 9 - Yokozuna (c) vs. Hulk Hogan
Impromptu WWF Title Match

Mr. Fuji is the worst manager in the world. What kind of guy puts a 505 lb. wrestler, who wrestled an intense physical match already, against a rested 300 lb. multi-time champion with a history of fucking with him (Hogan and Fuji have history from the old days, right?)? For the most prestigious title that he won the Royal Rumble just to get a shot at? That'd be like the New England Patriots beating the Philadephia Eagles for the Super Bowl, then going "Hey, New York Giants, let's have an impromptu game for the Super Bowl trophy RIGHT NOW?!"

And that doesn't even count the weak way Yokozuna won\Bret Hart lost. (Salt in the eyes can knock a guy out?!) Just sad.
sendpm.gif
Old 07-23-2012, 04:25 AM
Mad Fer It!
World Heavyweight Champion

Triple Naitch is a Television Champion...Triple Naitch is a Television Champion...Triple Naitch is a Television Champion...Triple Naitch is a Television Champion...Triple Naitch is a Television Champion...Triple Naitch is a Television Champion...Triple Naitch is a Television Champion...Triple Naitch is a Television Champion...Triple Naitch is a Television Champion...Triple Naitch is a Television Champion...Triple Naitch is a Television Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuma View Post
IMO, Victory Road 2011 could've been salvaged somewhat. Why not have the 90 second match, where Sting forced Hardy down for the 3 count and then have Sting challenge somebody else directly afterward? It makes him look like a legit tough guy and made Hardy look like a bum (which is how he should be viewed as...to do something like this is no better than any of the shenanigans Jake the Snake or Scott Hall have pulled, but Hardy gets a pass...I don't get it). Why not have someone like AJ Styles or Daniels or Roode, heck, even Flair rush down for a match? Sting and Flair couldn't put on a decent match (with as many times they have wrestled each other)? Just ANYBODY to send the crowd home happy after that disaster that was the 90 second main event.
I think this is a great idea. Although I think they should have publically said Hardy is unable to perform, and then replace him with someone else. Even if someone who had already wrestled that night had come out and challenged Sting, and just had any kind of match...it would have been better than the final match of the PPV being that 90 second insult to wrestling.

Jeff Hardy is extremely lucky to still be in employment in TNA, and I am very glad to see that he seems to be healthy and clean right now. There is no doubt in my mind that the ending of that PPV is the worst of all time. I know there are arguments for X or Y being the worst endings because of the terrible endings to matches, but having the a main event where one of the wrestlers is so drugged up that he is unable to perform is far and way the worst.

Hardy should not have been out there at all. He could have seriously injured himself or Sting. I have always been a Hardy fan, but he disppointed me so much that night.

BRING BACK TARA!
sendpm.gif