WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-13-2012, 04:42 AM

destruct-o-tron is looking to come up from OCW...

Squash matches have always been around. However, I do find it kind of irritating that they're making their way on to Raw. Used to be they'd only show up on Sunday Night Heat or some other random show/dark match.

It appears WWE is trying to skip the gradual progression wrestlers used to have to go through to get "over", preferring rather to just jam some random dude we don't care about down our throats.

On that note, I guess Albert has done his time, but he's just not interesting enough to be a "superstar". There's a reason he went to Japan in the first place. I'm pretty confident it's not because he was a hot commodity and Japan won the bidding war. This makes the reintroduction as Tensai equal parts sad and hilarious.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-15-2012, 08:38 AM

ultramattman is looking to come up from OCW...ultramattman is looking to come up from OCW...

We'll see if the rumored Tensai/Punk title feud actually happens. Tensai's debut is going pretty badly. If that doesn't change, WWE will scrap any title match plans in a hurry.

If the 'Albert' chants continue, I'd be tempted to have Tensai go 'real', publicly scrapping the Tensai character and start laying waste to people as Matt Bloom. Continue to play up his domination in Japan, only now the angle is that he couldn't find respect in WWE before, and STILL can't, getting saddled with that Shredder-like character.

NOW maybe you're looking at a compelling Tensai/Punk feud.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

PowerHouse is looking to come up from OCW...PowerHouse is looking to come up from OCW...

How are the Albert Chants going to kill his title fued with CM Punk??? Vince can't control the fans and what they chant. Everyone knows his was Prince Albert or A-Train thats not a big deal. Now so far the new Gimmick is not getting over. Now if Tensai would speak already and tell people why he is back as Tensai and what his plans are he may be able to get some heat with fans and pull this off. His problem certainly isn't his in ring work he def is very good for a guy his size in that respect.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-15-2012, 12:43 PM

The_Gene_Genie is looking to come up from OCW...

I too get frustrated with the seemingly increase in squash matches involving rostered superstars. But as IHW simply put it, they allow the big men to get wins and the chosen victim gets TV time. But that's about it. Squash matches are pretty restrictive and in my opinion should only be used against lesser known indie performers. That way you don't damage the reputation of a potential future superstar lower down the pecking order. Any intended 'squash' match involving a rostered superstar should see the planned loser get in some offence which showcases their talents more than just their willingness to do a job. Plus, it can also help further portray the monster persona of the big man if he comes back easily after a bit of a beating.

I think Tensai will progress quicker than Clay or Ryback. He is already a proven midcard performer with WWE having held the Intercontinental Title on one occasion and will comfortably slot into that role again after playing a supporting role to the main event talent. Clay and Ryback will continue as they are for a little while. I can't see Clay getting into the main event with his current gimmick. If he develops further and eventually breaks away from the 'Funkasaurus' character then he can become a supporting main event player in that he would be a serious threat to any championship reign. It's the same for Ryback. Both will need time which is unfortunate in the rush to push people to the top in this day and age.

Not sure about the mic time for the indie wrestler. He was hardly great on the mic. But it is good to see the 'unknown' wrestler return. Takes me back to the days of Superstars of Wrestling and the like. Plus it could be a good way to debut FCW talent by introducing them with a shock win over an established star a la 1-2-3 Kid and Razor Ramon.

17 June 1955 - 14 April 2007
sendpm.gif
Old 04-15-2012, 02:20 PM

PowerHouse is looking to come up from OCW...PowerHouse is looking to come up from OCW...

Thats the whole thing Tensai is far more seasoned and well versed in the ring than either Ryback or Clay and I think Ryback and Clay are both AWESOME talents. But no doubt Tensai is more ready for the main event push he is supposed to get. Now I like his work in the ring I don't like that he has not spoke yet. I really think he needs to let everyone know what his purpose of being back in the WWE is. I don't understand why he has a Japanese caretaker when he is being touted as the guy who DOMINATED Japan and all of its wrestlers, they put a Japanese wrestler as his caretaker. Why does he need a caretaker??? Why does he need a mouth we all know he can speak. Whats the BIG secret?? He isn't getting over with the crowd. I like him for his in ring work but the character so far is lacking but I am trying to stay optomistic.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 PM

destruct-o-tron is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerHouse View Post
How are the Albert Chants going to kill his title fued with CM Punk??? Vince can't control the fans and what they chant.
That's the fans' way of telling WWE that they think what they're watching is fucking stupid. Wildly repackaging someone like that is retarded. I'm assuming the live audience feels like I do: This new Tensai gimmick is just absolutely absurd.

Albert is NOT getting over with the fans. Giving Albert a title push while he's this not-over would be such an embarrassment. That's how it kills his chances. Albert is boring and stupid. Fans don't like watching stuff that's boring and stupid.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-18-2012, 02:59 PM

rerun406 is looking to come up from OCW...rerun406 is looking to come up from OCW...

^ exactly, I think putting Tensai in a feud with CM Punk is rushing it .. but the WWE needs to find a way to keep Tensai's momentum up especially after beating Cena on RAW

**on another note by having these so called Destroyers (Brock/Tensai) beat up on Cena week in and week out, I fear the WWE is pulling the sympathy angle with John Cena a bit much and pushing the underdog angle a bit much as well
sendpm.gif
Old 04-19-2012, 03:36 PM

Ithil is looking to come up from OCW...Ithil is looking to come up from OCW...

"Ryback" has one of the worst monster gimmicks I've ever seen.

I mean, having him squash local jobbers (thus we've never heard of them, ever), having him compeletely randomly return, with no fanfare, and the worst part, showing guys in the back "cheering" him through his short, uninteresting squashes.

Then having legends who most likely heard of Ryback for the first time ever five minutes prior, going "Yeah! Cool, Ryback! Ryback, he's the best!" etc.

You could just feel Vince standing next to the camera motioning for them to cheer more.

Who is Ryback? Why should I care? He has no character, he's just "really big". He's not beating anyone I've heard of or will ever see again, and his matches are so short that they are just wasting TV time. It's all so artificial.

Terrible. Funkasaurus' squash run was bad too, but at least he had a character, if a silly one.

Judging from RAW, Tensai already is moving out of weekly squash matches and into proper matches and feuds after just two weeks. He's experienced and capable, he doesn't need babying like Ryback.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 PM
WWE Just Blog It's Bushwhacker

ShatteredDreamsProduction is looking to come up from OCW...

Unless these "Destroyers" can compete successfully with the big boys of the WWE, which they tried to do with Kozlov against Taker, which was kind of successful,

But these present day ones of feeding them nobodies to destroy, only recently has anyone done anything decent, with Lord Tensai beating Cena.

As for Ryback, he was never good on the mic, so guessing its a way of filling time without having to hand him the mic
sendpm.gif
Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 PM

Actually Ryback isn't bad on the mic at all. His gimmick isn't bad either he just needs to be put in a meaningful fued where people can get behind him. The WWE is just setting Reeves up for failure if they keep having him squash no name local indy wrestlers who the people in the crowd know nothing about. The key is to push him now against some established stars. Not the main event guys yet but get him away from these local indy guys he is beating in under a minute he is never going to create any type of following with the people in the crowd. Now I like him because I liked Skip Sheffield when he was in NXT then Nexus and even when he was Ryback in OVW and FCW he was a LEGIT MONSTER!!!! He is much better now than he was in OVW or FCW.

Ryback is just as talented in the ring as any Big man the WWE has at the moment. He can talk,he can perform in the ring he's got Power and strength unlike nobody except Henry who is one of a kind in that department. He just needs a program where he is able to showcase all of it and not just squash people.
sendpm.gif