WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > Non-Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Whale in a Teardrop
ROH Pure Champion

The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Default Your Favorite Johnny Cash Song?

Very few artists can withstand the test of time, very few artists can withstand the test of time and even break off into something which is so much more than it actually was. Johnny Cash was the simple country music artist that ended up becoming a huge influence to a number of rock 'n' roll artists throughout the world. Sometimes referred to as "The Man in Black", Cash's career in music spanned nearly fifty years, releasing his first record in 1954 and his final in 2003, months before he passed away. Some say he is the greatest musician of all-time, receiving praise from artists of all different genres, his music has transcended into everything. From films to television sitcoms, sports events and even professional wrestling.

I personally don't think I have ever met someone who doesn't like at least one Johnny Cash track. If somebody enters this thread and reads this, please announce that you don't cause there is a first time for everything. But, I want to know what is your favorite Johnny Cash song and why?

Second track on American V: A Hundred Highways, "God's Gonna Cut You Down" has been recorded by hundreds of artists, but it never got as much press as it did when it was recorded by Johnny Cash. I believe it is featured in the video game Battlefield, its featured on over 60 television shows, certain independent wrestlers use it as their entrance theme and the video featured over forty celebrities from different backgrounds miming the words of the song. Great lyrics and a great story in the song, first few times I heard it, it sent a chill down my spine. One of the best covers from Cash and one of my favorite songs of his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunKay C. Cobblepot View Post
Could Dragon Saga stop being so right all the time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlertainment, Inc. View Post
Dragon Saga is better than you.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Only happy when it Reigns.
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dragon Saga View Post
Second track on American V: A Hundred Highways, "God's Gonna Cut You Down" has been recorded by hundreds of artists, but it never got as much press as it did when it was recorded by Johnny Cash. I believe it is featured in the video game Battlefield, its featured on over 60 television shows, certain independent wrestlers use it as their entrance theme and the video featured over forty celebrities from different backgrounds miming the words of the song. Great lyrics and a great story in the song, first few times I heard it, it sent a chill down my spine. One of the best covers from Cash and one of my favorite songs of his.
Also used in the trailer for True Grit.

Difficult question for me to be honest. I love his American recordings more than anything he's done in his career, probably owing to me actually being alive when it was released, but the songs are just so raw, pure and honest. They're swansongs of a man who I think knew his life was ending soon. That kind of emotion you can't force with studio production or any other tricks.

It would have to be one of the covers for my favourite, I think. A 3 way tie between 'One' (U2), 'Rusty Cage' (Soundgarden), and 'Personal Jesus' (Depeche Mode). In all three Cash and Rubin have taken these massive, anthemic songs, and stripped them down to their bare bones, yet have managed to retain what made them so good in the first place.

Going back in time a bit further to 1969, and Cash's performance at San Quentin prison, you will see just how he owned any audience put in front of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBL View Post
...realizes it's WWE, jumps back
sendpm.gif
Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 PM
WZPC Grand Slam Champion
WWF Hardcore Champion

Rated R Enigma worked a dark match on ECW recently...Rated R Enigma worked a dark match on ECW recently...Rated R Enigma worked a dark match on ECW recently...Rated R Enigma worked a dark match on ECW recently...Rated R Enigma worked a dark match on ECW recently...Rated R Enigma worked a dark match on ECW recently...Rated R Enigma worked a dark match on ECW recently...Rated R Enigma worked a dark match on ECW recently...Rated R Enigma worked a dark match on ECW recently...Rated R Enigma worked a dark match on ECW recently...Rated R Enigma worked a dark match on ECW recently...

without a doubt my favorite johnny cash song would be ring of fire to me that song is really good im not really a johnny cash fan but i enjoy listning to ring of fire from time to time

Credit to Red Skull for the BLISSful sig.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 PM
BEER MONEY

tommyh is looking to come up from OCW...

My favotite johnny cash song would have to be hurt. It was just one of those songs everytime i hear it,it gives me chills down my back. Also the video the way his wife was standing behind him just watchin him you coukd see the love in her eyes fir him. Plus i think it was the last video he made before he passed away. The man in black will always live forever
sendpm.gif
Old 04-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
ROH Pure Champion

Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...
Send a message via MSN to Harthan

Being the grungy, angsty teenager that I am, I love "Hurt". It's impossible for me to listen to that song without getting chills. Cash is an actor in that song as much as he is a musician and the end result is something truly special. I don't know that there's any other piece of music out there in which you can legitimately feel Cash's pain through the song to the degree that you can in "Hurt". Obviously credit for the lyrics and part of the arrangement go to NIN, but Cash owned this song entirely with his performance. The video is also really good if a little over the top at times. The old black and white footage and pictures of June though take the song to another level. I think Cash just knocked it out of the park on this one and transmitted all of his very real hurt, pain, angst, woe, and various other unpleasant emotions accumulated over a long life full of troubles and distilled them into one piece of music that is really a classic.

I also like a lot of comedic pieces, in total contrast to the above. "Boy Named Sue" is hilarious, and I'm not sure of the title, but I'm going to go with "Three Feet High and Rising" (the one about the flood). Really simple but enjoyable pieces that are great fun.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 PM

realoldskoolfan is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXEnightmare View Post
without a doubt my favorite johnny cash song would be ring of fire to me that song is really good im not really a johnny cash fan but i enjoy listning to ring of fire from time to time

Of all the Johnny Cash songs you pick one that wasn't even his and the most obvious "crowd favorite".

I hate this song. Its overplayed and commercialized and as stated, its not even his.

Orange Blossom Special, One Piece at a Time, John Henrys Hammer, and Get Rhythmn are some of my personal favs. Orange Blossom Special just feels and sounds like a train coming down on you. He actually has alot of songs about trains/hobos etc etc that are very well done.
sendpm.gif
Old 04-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
ROH Pure Champion

Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...
Send a message via MSN to Harthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by realoldskoolfan View Post
Of all the Johnny Cash songs you pick one that wasn't even his and the most obvious "crowd favorite".

I hate this song. Its overplayed and commercialized and as stated, its not even his.
Really? Really? "Ring of Fire" isn't Johnny Cash's song? How thick do you have to be? In what way is it not his song? Because it was written by his wife and Merle Kilgore? Because it was originally recorded by his sister in law? The idea that a song isn't completely defined by a particular artists because they didn't write or originally record it is nonsense. The single biggest hit of Johnny Cash's career and the song that arguably 99% of people think he recorded originally - probably because no one has even heard of Anita Carter - isn't his is just preposterous.

I mean, come on, man. Who defines "Respect" - Otis Redding or Anita Franklin? Who defines "Crossroads" - Robert Johnson or Eric Clapton? Who defines "Black Magic Woman" - Fleetwood Mac or Carlos Santana? Anita Carter is so far from defining and owning "Ring of Fire" that's it's almost not funny. It's Johnny Cash's song.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Owen 3:16 says I just stole your Slammy!!'s Avatar
Owen 3:16 says I just stole your Slammy!! Owen 3:16 says I just stole your Slammy!! is offline
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Owen 3:16 says I just stole your Slammy!! is looking to come up from OCW...Owen 3:16 says I just stole your Slammy!! is looking to come up from OCW...Owen 3:16 says I just stole your Slammy!! is looking to come up from OCW...

My favorite Johnny Cash has to be, "One piece at a time." I loved the story of the song. Like how he had to steal parts from G.M for 20 years or how long it had take him to get the parts. My favorite part is at the end, when he said, it took the whole staff to write the title of the car.

I have other favorites, "Cocaine Blues," and "Chicken In Black."

You are Losers and We're Winners, Me and My Slammy's!

Last edited by Owen 3:16 says I just stole your Slammy!! : 05-03-2012 at 11:56 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Little Jimmy's Imaginary Friend

Death Before Disco is looking to come up from OCW...Death Before Disco is looking to come up from OCW...

It's hard to pick when you're dealing with such a great, prolific artist like Johnny Cash, but I'm gonna go with "Wanted Man." Great beat, great lyrics, great overall.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:17 PM
semi-retired from WZ
ECW TV Champion

Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...Davi323 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harthan View Post
Really? Really? "Ring of Fire" isn't Johnny Cash's song? How thick do you have to be? In what way is it not his song? Because it was written by his wife and Merle Kilgore? Because it was originally recorded by his sister in law? The idea that a song isn't completely defined by a particular artists because they didn't write or originally record it is nonsense. The single biggest hit of Johnny Cash's career and the song that arguably 99% of people think he recorded originally - probably because no one has even heard of Anita Carter - isn't his is just preposterous.

I mean, come on, man. Who defines "Respect" - Otis Redding or Anita Franklin? Who defines "Crossroads" - Robert Johnson or Eric Clapton? Who defines "Black Magic Woman" - Fleetwood Mac or Carlos Santana? Anita Carter is so far from defining and owning "Ring of Fire" that's it's almost not funny. It's Johnny Cash's song.
Harthan hit the nail on the head.

You know Whitney Houston's greatest hit, "I will always love you"? Yeah, that's actually a Dolly Parton song originally. But, it's still undeniably a Whitney Houston song, none the less. Ring of Fire is a Johnny Cash song, and it's ridiculous to argue otherwise.

However, if I had to pick one Johnny Cash song above all others, I would go with Folsom Prison Blues. I just like it. It's got a good beat, love the way he sings it defiantly like he is a prisoner himself, and you gotta have a set of brass balls to play this song while giving a concert in prison in the first place.

Last edited by Davi323 : 05-14-2012 at 12:20 PM.
sendpm.gif