WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 03-23-2012, 04:26 AM
Serial Racist
WCW TV Champion

The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...The Rattlesnake scored a win over Santino Marella...

I think Punk certainly played a part in giving Laurinaitis some credibility as a heel. Before Laurinaitis started feuding with Punk, he was booed by the crowd just because he was bland and boring. It was a classic example of "X-Pac" heat. Mind you, by this point Lauranaitis had ousted Triple H as the COO of the company and fired JR but even that had not gotten him much attention.

That changed once he started messing with Punk by first sending Alberto Del Rio after him to get him disqualified and then by interfering in Ziggler's matches against Punk which allowed Ziggler to get some cheap wins against the World Champion. Punk played his part perfectly here as well. Initially he dismissed Laurinaitis as a joke and ridiculed him for his lack of creativity but once Laurinaitis started helping Ziggler get some wins against Punk, Punk showed his annoyance towards JL and even lost his cool with him on occasion. It looked like Laurinaitis had finally gotten under Punk's skin which gave him a lot of credibility as a heel.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-23-2012, 05:04 AM
King of the Ring

TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...TWJC: The Beginning scored a win over Santino Marella...

Punk got it started, but the character isn't STILL over because of Punk. That's insane. As much as you guys want to hate on Ace (because you hear stories of wrestlers hating him when most of them seem like they're just feeling sorry for themselves IMO), he's pretty good at his job. Ace is AWESOME at the role he's doing.

Punk could have put him over as much as you possibly could but if Ace doesn't carry the role, it falls flat.

I don't think you guys know what XPac heat is. People don't stick around for XPac heat. They boo, then if you are on screen too long, they leave. People don't sit and watch things they dislike (in a bad way). That's why it makes no sense when you say Cole, Cena, or Ace get "X Pac heat". What you mean to say is "they are so good at making the smarks hate them that even I dislike them, but man I want to see them get their ass kicked".

*Guy no one predicted to win, wins*
-IWC fans "OMG THIS IS SO STUPID, WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS?"
sendpm.gif
Old 03-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Only happy when it Reigns.
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...Diet Soda scored a win over Santino Marella...

I'm going to say it's more of the opposite - John Laurinaitis made CM Punk.

Of course, I don't mean that Johnny Ace was a guardian angel to Punk all the way through his indy wrestling days, or helped Punk during his first years in the WWE (though he may have pushed him backstage, you never know).

What I'm referring to is the current incarnation of Punk. After the fizzling out of the New Nexus and the infamous worked shoot of last year, we saw a new side to Phil Brooks' character. Superficially, a transition from heel to face. Hell, you could even use the word tweener (yuck). More specifically, Punk shifted from the messianic leader figure of groups such as the Straight Edge Society and the Nexus, a cowardly, manipulative heel, to a rebellious, anti-authoritarian, conspiracy theorist.

What made the "shoot" feel so real was the breaking of the fourth wall kayfabe and dropping names unknown to the casual fans. I could wager that plenty of audience members in Hustle Loyalty Respect t-shirts wouldn't even had heard of Ring of Honour or New Japan, nor would the name John Laurinaitis mean anything to them. Therefore, when Punk rants on about "glad-handed, nonsensical, douchebag, yes-men", it gives the impression that he really does have beef with the behind the scenes people of the company.

Furthermore, integral to the rivalry between Punk and Cena last summer was the emergence of Laurinaitis as an on-screen character, and as an authority figure for Punk to rebel against. I believe that the version of CM Punk that is currently the WWE Champion, and the second biggest babyface in the company, would not have done so without Mr. Excitement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBL View Post
...realizes it's WWE, jumps back
sendpm.gif
Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 AM
A Role Model and Paragon of Virtue

ITrippedTheShockmaster is looking to come up from OCW...ITrippedTheShockmaster is looking to come up from OCW...

I think it depends on your position. If you're a younger or casual fan, then yes, Punk "made" Laurinaitis in the sense that you probably didn't know who he was until then.

If you're in the know, like the majority of us on here, I think Punk just reminded us of who Johnny was and that he was still around.

We know the majority of wresting fans don't know what goes on behind the curtain. The IWC and those who follow the business more closely know Johnny b/c of his past as a wrestler and his years in the WWF/E front office. Unless you watched wrestling in the 80s or a student of the industry, you probably didn't even know who Johnny Ace was unless you heard someone talking about him. You didn't know that he and Road Warrior Animal are brothers. You didn't know he was a Dynamic Dude, and you didn't know he originally used the Diamond Cutter/RKO neckbreaker-type move w/the Ace Cutter before DDP or Orton came along.

When they laid out the Punk defying authority angle and had him break down the fourth wall in public, mentioning Johnny was part of the deal to get him over as anti-establishment. Johnny had been seen on WWF/E television before, specifically with angles involving Vince McMahon, but he had never really been called out by name much for anything on camera. When Punk slammed him in that initial "pipe bomb," it was almost a necessity then to bring him into the storyline as an on-screen character to visualize what Punk was saying to those who didn't know about Johnny. Vince apparently didn't want to be on camera as much anymore to serve the authority figure for this angle, so they needed someone in power for Punk to rebel against, like DX and Austin did in their heydays against Vince. So, why not Vince's No. 1 lackey? Him being put in charge of RAW made it easier to be the foil for Punk's anti-hero.

When Punk started going off on Johnny about his riding the coattails of his brother and being a boring wrestler, etc. ... well, that's true, in a way. Except maybe for Johnny's time in Japan, he really didn't amount to much. Now, Johnny had to defend not only his current position, but the view of him as a boring nobody. Hence the "Mr. Excitement" moniker and his ascension as the authority figure heel.

Punk and Johnny's program was entertaining. Not as entertaining as Austin/McMahon because it wasn't taken to that level, but still fun to watch. I think the current angle w/Teddy Long is setting him back a bit. He could come back strong as the heel GM of both shows, or this could be used to write him off of TV, if they give Teddy the GM spot of both shows.

Regardless, I think Punk did a good job of bringing Johnny back to the forefront and re-establishing him. Now it's his heat to lose.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-23-2012, 09:36 AM

Jeritron5000 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeRko View Post
Punk introduced him and gave him a high-level platform but Laurinitis made himself with the unitentionally hilarious monotone and mic-work, the whole Mr Excitement ickname capitalising on this was brilliant. I think i may be in the minority here but I really like him, he is so bad that hes kind of brilliant.
I agree that Punk's promo really only inspired the John Laurinitis character, but I don't really get the appeal. I understand the guy draws tremendous heat. But here you have an entertainment show who's main antagonist's schtick is that he's so boring you hate him? I repeat...an entertainment based show that's being injected with a villain whos character is defined by the fact that he's boring to watch and listen to...
sendpm.gif
Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

AwesomeRko is looking to come up from OCW...AwesomeRko is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeritron5000 View Post
I agree that Punk's promo really only inspired the John Laurinitis character, but I don't really get the appeal. I understand the guy draws tremendous heat. But here you have an entertainment show who's main antagonist's schtick is that he's so boring you hate him? I repeat...an entertainment based show that's being injected with a villain whos character is defined by the fact that he's boring to watch and listen to...
I completely agree with you in principal it makes no sense at all, I just personally crack up every time I see him I'm not sure why, it's kind of like your math teacher randomly appearing on tv.

Having said that I think he is improving and is a good realistic kind of corporate authority figure for faces to rebel against simply because like Punk said he is exactly like the boring type of middle management people have to answer to in real life. So a lot of people can probably relate in a way.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Here to Show the *****s

Truly Phenomenonal is looking to come up from OCW...

Well, I see it as they both made each other...

Johnny was a big part of the development of the CM Punk character, there was tension between the two for quite some time, and it blew up around the time of the Royal Rumble. You have to wonder that without John Laurinaitis would CM Punk be as over as he is? I don't think he would.

At the same time however, CM Punk helped develop the character of Johnny. If you've ever been to a live show with Laurinaitis on it, it's amazing the amount of heat he is able to generate from the crowd. And while some of that heat comes from his overall presentation, a lot of the heat comes from his "feud" with CM Punk. The things he was doing to Punk a few months back were downright awful... but I believe that with the help of CM Punk and Mick Foley... yes Mick Foley, it put him over the hump and became one of the great heel General Managers and a great overall heel.

Let's go back to a few weeks before the Royal Rumble back in January. It was Johnny and Mick in the middle of the ring and up until that point Johnny Boy was getting a decent amount of heat but it was a different kind of heat that he gets now. Mick asked him "Do you intend to screw CM Punk at the Royal Rumble" and he said something along the lines of "You're damn right I do" and ever since he said those few words the heat he's gotten from the audience has been insane. It went from a non-serious heat to a very serious heat where it seems like we generally hate the guy.

And of course, Johnny does little things here and there to gain even more heat. Coming out with Otunga at his side, his overall make-up, the way he presents himself, always having that little grin, his voice, it's all obnoxious and that makes us hate him even more.

So, to answer your question... did CM Punk make him? He helped with it, but there were a lot of other factors that made up the character of John Laurinaitis.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:45 PM
WOO!
WCW TV Champion

The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...The Crock is a Television Champion...

He didn't "make" him, but he definitely contributed in a big way. Every character -- we see this in every storyline -- needs a good foil; CM Punk happened to be John Laurinaitis' foil and through that he helped build Johnny Ace into what he is today. Ace's character works as well as it does because he's very one-dimensional, but he makes these contrived attempts to be "exciting" and that garners a reaction from the crowd; the character Johnny Ace is playing right now is just plain hilarious, though I'm not sure it was the intention when he first came on-screen. Punk definitely helped add to this all, but he's one of many people. Having a hated henchman like David Otunga has done just as much as Punk did -- There is a variety of reasons Johnny Ace's character has succeeded.

I hate putting a label on one person as being the guy who "made" a character, unless of course it is the man playing the character. People take away from Johnny Ace, but he has contributed a hell of a lot and really immersed himself into being the best character he can be. Johnny Ace deserves all the credit and more. Yes, feuding with the WWE Champion definitely helped, but if Johnny Ace didn't have some kind of a redeeming quality, it wouldn't have worked. Anybody could have been given this character, but Johnny Ace has gone above and beyond expectations in making it work.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Pourquoi?
WWE Diva's Champion

xoxo French Kiss xoxo is looking to come up from OCW...xoxo French Kiss xoxo is looking to come up from OCW...xoxo French Kiss xoxo is looking to come up from OCW...xoxo French Kiss xoxo is looking to come up from OCW...xoxo French Kiss xoxo is looking to come up from OCW...

Triple H made John Laurinaitis.

Laurinaitis helped establish Punk.
Punk helped Laurinaitis.
They both suck.

Laurinaitis vs Punk was a really bad retelling of the age old classic Austin vs Vince. It tried to be something good, but fell short due to the lack of talent shared between Punk and Laurinaitis.

2011 Winner of.......
"The Iron Donkey Award for Worst Poster of the Year"
"The Cheap Ho Award for Poster You'd Most Love to Pimp Slap"
sendpm.gif
Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Carry On My Wayward Son
Knockout Champion

Xemmy Le'Beau worked a dark match on ECW recently...Xemmy Le'Beau worked a dark match on ECW recently...Xemmy Le'Beau worked a dark match on ECW recently...Xemmy Le'Beau worked a dark match on ECW recently...Xemmy Le'Beau worked a dark match on ECW recently...Xemmy Le'Beau worked a dark match on ECW recently...Xemmy Le'Beau worked a dark match on ECW recently...Xemmy Le'Beau worked a dark match on ECW recently...Xemmy Le'Beau worked a dark match on ECW recently...Xemmy Le'Beau worked a dark match on ECW recently...Xemmy Le'Beau worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Sort of. Johnny Ace would have been hated no matter who made him relevant. Punk introduced him to T.V., but as far as making or putting him over- everyone involved in that situation from Triple H, to Vince himself helped "make" him. In essence, he's been a really good guy for Punk to play off of as far as continuing the rebel thing. They really need to go back to that feud eventually. But CM Punk really just introduced him and gave Punk something to work against.

Last edited by Xemmy Le'Beau : 03-29-2012 at 10:43 AM.
sendpm.gif