WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 03-15-2012, 11:31 AM

WWEvsJosh is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Steele's Barber View Post
Stop reacting because you were not satisfied with this latest episode of Raw.
What the heck are you talking about? I never said anything about me not likeing the last episode of Raw. In fact i loved both Cena's and The Rock's promos. I even said some of the things they have already done could fit into my idea.

Plus thats all this was an idea. I never said this needed to happen or WWE would be dumb not to do this. I just thought it would be a good idea.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-15-2012, 11:46 AM
#WhoIsElSwago
WWE Women's Champion

Pancake scored a win over Santino Marella...Pancake scored a win over Santino Marella...Pancake scored a win over Santino Marella...Pancake scored a win over Santino Marella...Pancake scored a win over Santino Marella...Pancake scored a win over Santino Marella...Pancake scored a win over Santino Marella...Pancake scored a win over Santino Marella...Pancake scored a win over Santino Marella...Pancake scored a win over Santino Marella...Pancake scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to Pancake Send a message via Yahoo to Pancake Send a message via Skype™ to Pancake

Oh god no, that is just a completely, and utterly stupid idea. Why in the world would you only want wrestlers to meet once or twice before a big match at a Pay-Per-View? Know how completely boring it would be to watch RAW or Smackdown to have John Cena and The Rock never to cross paths before Wrestlemania? Know how completely stupid it would have been if CM Punk had his shoot promo on John Cena on the Titantron instead of on the stage after fucking up his match with R-Truth?

Professional Wrestling lives on the drama and the hype. This isn't a real sport where the name alone can get fans hyped to see it. You can't call John Cena against the Rock at Wrestlemania a year ahead and only have them go face to face at the contract signing. That simply makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
The streak is broken. I blame Pancake.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

OutsiderDX is looking to come up from OCW...OutsiderDX is looking to come up from OCW...

In the case of Rock vs Cena.... They should have never had The Rock appear so many times.

They are essentially going against the idea that makes the fued interest. A past star / coming back to wrestle.

They are destroying the mystique of The Rock. You can't blame the fans if they no longer get excited when The Rock returns at WrestleMania. It's just human nature to get become accustom to repeitition. It's hard to get excited over seeing the same thing over and over.

Speaking from a creative side and not a financial side, the E should have never brought The Rock back for Survivor Series and should have never brought him out live during Raw's.

At minimum, they could have let him use twitter and do a few short taped vignettes.

The E took away the special attraction feel to The Rock and it feels just like another match.

Last edited by OutsiderDX : 03-15-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: grammar
sendpm.gif
Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 PM

Even with all the people calling this a bad idea I still think it is great. I respect everyones thoughts on why they did not like it but i really do think this would work for a match like theses. I am not saying they should do this for every world title match or anything like that just the big matches.
Cena vs Batista for the first time
Cena vs Rock for the first time
Goldberg vs Brock for the first time
Angle vs HBK
Austin vs Brock
You know matches that have that big feel to it. Matches that can sell on just the fact that two names are coming together for a dream match. Thats what this idea i think would work for.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Mr. All-in
WWE Diva's Champion

RicSpade is looking to come up from OCW...RicSpade is looking to come up from OCW...RicSpade is looking to come up from OCW...RicSpade is looking to come up from OCW...

So if I am understanding this right you want us to get emotionally invested in something without any build? So for example Sheamus and Daniel Bryan never go at it at all, never talk to each other but build up the ppv by fighting other people and cutting promos about one another?

Ok heres all the problems with this one... First off theres always some kind of encounter whether you like it or not whether its the 80's or today....Secondly even when you have a sport like MMA you have a build to the matches like TUF seasons for fighters and the coaches?

Again what would get me emotionally invested in this match if all we had was 2 promos about a guy and a contract signing? The key words to this would be....Nothing....

Just because Cena and Rock haven't had a few promos where there with each other, they still had confrontation, confrontation whether verbal or physical builds suspense, suspense leads to anticipation, and anticipation leads you to wanting to watch, and wanting to watch leads to having a product!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 AM
Million Dollar Champion

FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

The STORY is what makes the match - Yes, athleticism, ability to convincingly sell the other guy's offense, dramatic finish, these are all very important (and without them we often feel cheated in big matches) but it is THE STORYLINE that makes us watch RAW every week, that makes us care about the match in the first place.

Pivotal points in fueds (which usually occur when the combatants are squaring off, either in the ring or in a promo) drive home the importance of the match and make us want to watch. In fact, you usually need lots of interaction between stars to really make a fued, and therefore the MATCH important enough that I will pay x amount of dollars to watch on PPV.

For me, things involved in the build up before the match are often as memorable as the matches themselves. The promos Ric Flair did before facing Vader at Starrcade 93 or HBK at WM 24 were awesome, I can still see Randy Savage coming down off the top rope onto Ricky Steamboat's neck with timekeeper bell, Hogan's heel turn, and before that Kevin Nash's surprise power bomb of Bischoff that kick started the NWO angle, these interactions between the feuding wrestlers drove those fueds, and made those must watch matches. Hogan vs Andre was not strictly speaking a classic in ring product. It was one of the biggest (I would say The Biggest, at least for WWE) matches in wrestling history because the awesome build, Andre's 20 year undefeated streak, turning his back on the fans and siding with Hogan's arch nemisis Bobby Heenan, without that build you have a young muscle guy facing an old (though quite large) overweight guy, on paper this looks like a match to avoid at all costs, in reality it kept the largest US attendance for a pro wrestling show on it's heels, riveted from start to finish.

If the wrestlers dont interact then why are they feuding and if they have no legit reason to feud why am I watching them ?

Although we've seen plenty of Rock lately WWE has never given us a satisfactory reason for this feud, at least from Rock's perspective (I can see why Cena doesnt like him, he's an obnoxious @#$ who cost him a World Title Match last year for no good reason, then ran and hid in Hollywood for the rest of the year, avoiding any contact let alone an actual match). The explanation as to why Rock doesnt like Cena has never been good, it takes away from the feud and makes this match less exciting. We're actually getting much better build to Jericho-Punk and HHH-Taker III.

Bottom line, you need more interaction, not less between feuding wrestlers to make a story engaging enough that Id want to watch the payoff match.

Also, if the matches are done right, you can wrestle more than one big PPV match and keep fans interested. In 1989 no one complained about seeing Flair-Steamboat staged as often as it was, a decade later everyone watched Rock-Austin in their re matches.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-16-2012, 01:45 PM

WcW VS EcW is looking to come up from OCW...

If the WwE SuPeRsTaRs MeT OnLy OnCe before their big match it wouldnt be any build up. To the audience and the viewers of the show, it would feel as though they made a last minute match. But promo wise, it would feel awkward. The superstars talking shit on idk, titantron, it would be weird. They would have nothing to go on as to why they are fueding. Thats just my opinion.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-16-2012, 02:21 PM

Default Here is another example on what i am talking about.

Lest say in 2005 HBK and Kurt Angle never fought and Angle was still on Smackdown.

Kurt Angle get done with a match at the Bash PPV and then gets on the mic. He says "I just proved why I am the best this company has to offer. I am the show stopper. Its true its damn true"

Next night on raw HBK comes out and says he saw The PPV and he heard what Angle said. He then says himself that he is the best this company has to offer and that he want to fight Angle at SummerSlam to prove it. Later that night he has that match he had with Shelton.

On Smackdown that week Angle says he will do the match at SummerSlam and says he liked what he saw on Raw but says he can do better. He then has a good match with some superstar on smackdown (Booker T would be a good choice).

Then each week each star is trying to out do the other in matches and in promos to prove that they are the best. But each does this on their own show so they do not ever see each other until the built up Smackdown meeting when the both get their last two cents on why they are the best before the match.

That type of built up is not for Sheamus and Bryan, or Ziggler vs Ryder, or just any match. It has to be a match that sells withsout a story. I never said any match can be like that. Just big matchs and matches that are to prove who is the best. Thats why i used Rock vs Cena and Punk vs Y2J.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm laughing at you right now.
WWF Hardcore Champion

Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...Headman worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Don't they need content for their weekly television shows? Besides, the OP's idea assumes that the fans will be interested in paying for the match based on it's announcement alone. It's the interaction between the characters that builds the drama that leads to fans buying the ppv. Otherwise it would be like "Oh, Jericho is fighting Santino next month. I think I'll buy that.". I don't see it.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headman View Post
Don't they need content for their weekly television shows? Besides, the OP's idea assumes that the fans will be interested in paying for the match based on it's announcement alone. It's the interaction between the characters that builds the drama that leads to fans buying the ppv. Otherwise it would be like "Oh, Jericho is fighting Santino next month. I think I'll buy that.". I don't see it.
I have alot of respect for you and all but its clear that you either did not read what I wrote and just looked at what other's said or you just did not read it right. No I dont assume that fans will be interested in paying for a match based on it's announcement alone. In my first post talked about promos and matches of each star trying to one up each other. I never said anything about "no build up". Its about build up without each star getting in each other's face. They talk trash about each other but dont say it in their face until their meeting one night on raw or smackdown.

Here is an example that did happened but their was not a match.
Rock and Cena before Mania 27. Rock came back and talked some trash about Cena. The next week Cena did his rap. The week after that Rock did a vid promo. Week after that Cena did one more rap. The week that followed Rock did the skit with the kid. Then came the big meeting of The Rock and Cena. No one had to hit each other or anything. Thats the build up i am talking about. They talked trash to each other but they did not get in each other's face until the Raw before Mania.

One more thing. I said "big" matches. If you read my post then you are telling me you think Santino vs Jericho is a big match? Nothing wrong with thinking that but i just would not think that.
sendpm.gif