WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Wrestlezone.com
WCW TV Champion

The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default The "Nature Boy" Dolph Ziggler?

In 1978 Ric Flair starting using the "Nature Boy" title, and went over the original "Nature Boy" Buddy Rodgers on his way to the top of professional wrestling. To many that was considered a "passing of the torch" from one of the all-time greats to the next up-and-coming legend. At the time of their feud, Rodgers was 57 and one of the oldest wrestlers still performing for his day. Ric Flair is currently 62 and still going strong in TNA. My question: is it time to crown a new "Nature Boy"?

To me the term "Nature Boy" is much more than a title. It's a way of wrestling, and a specific character type. Rodgers did it back in the day, and Flair evolved it into something truly spectacular. It's that jet-flyin, limo-ridin, kiss-stealing, wheeling-dealing son of a gun persona. The guy that cheats to win, and is proud of doing so. THe guy who had all the charisma, never looks up to anyone, and truly believes he is the best in the world. In my opinion, we should have a new "Nature Boy" and now is as good a time as any.

The name of this thread is "The 'Nature Boy' Dolph Ziggler, because I believe there is no better choice than the Show-Off himself. He's got that look, he already uses the tactics, he wears nice suits, and all he needs are ladies, the limos, and the nickname to give him that extra flair (pun intended). If you can think of a better candidate for "Nature Boy" status, you will have my respect, but I don't think there is one.

Should there ever be a new "Nature Boy"?
If so, who should take over the name?
Do you think if it happens soon, there is any chance of Flair coming back to the WWE and interacting with the new "Nature Boy" as a means to "pass the torch"?
sendpm.gif
Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Knockout Champion

Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...Aquaman6686 is looking to come up from OCW...

Actually, I think this is quite a good idea. Ziggler has the looks, the talent, and the charisma to do justice to the "Nature Boy" gimmick. I wouldn't mind seeing this at all.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Hard Rockin'

DJ Kyo is looking to come up from OCW...DJ Kyo is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via AIM to DJ Kyo

No. No. No. and HELL NO.

There's a huge difference in Rick Flair and Buddy Rodgers. Rodgers was great, but Rick Flair is something special that should never be replaced as the Nature Boy. It's actually almost insulting to Flair to suggest such an idea.

Dolph is great. I like Dolph a lot, but he needs his own character, his own creation. Not something thought up by like "oh hey, i'll use this old man's gimmick." That'd almost be like someone trying to replace the Undertaker, it's a BAD idea.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 PM

thebromm is looking to come up from OCW...

Normally I would disagree. Ric Flair is arguably the greatest of all time and even though Buddy Rogers was the first to use "Nature Boy," Ric evolved it into something so outrageous that it could never be duplicated. IF, a big if for a reason, IF it were to go on to somebody else Dolph Ziggler would indeed, be the man...... Pun very much intended.

*The Voice of the Voiceless*The Straight-Edge Savior*The Best in the WORLD*

CM PUNK!
sendpm.gif
Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

WJDwjdWJDwjd is looking to come up from OCW...WJDwjdWJDwjd is looking to come up from OCW...

Not with the name "Dolph Ziggler". There have been many people pointing out in previous threads that he has quite possibly one of the worst names in the WWE right now. I think "Nature Boy" Nick Nemeth sounds a hell of a lot better. Also, Flair being the legend he is, if that title is passed on to ANYONE, it won't be until A) Ric gives them the title himself or B) Ric passes away.

Secondly, even though he is improving week in and week out, his mic skills are not up to par to be in the same category when you talk "Nature Boy" status. His in-ring skill set is there, but he has work to do on the mic.

I'm not saying Dolph doesn't have the look of a young Ric Flair or the skill set, I'm just saying that right now I think it would be difficult to consider him for such a title this young in his short career so far.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 PM
I SEE MAH FRANZ!!!!
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Hawkeye worked a dark match on ECW recently...Hawkeye worked a dark match on ECW recently...Hawkeye worked a dark match on ECW recently...Hawkeye worked a dark match on ECW recently...Hawkeye worked a dark match on ECW recently...Hawkeye worked a dark match on ECW recently...Hawkeye worked a dark match on ECW recently...Hawkeye worked a dark match on ECW recently...Hawkeye worked a dark match on ECW recently...Hawkeye worked a dark match on ECW recently...Hawkeye worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I don't think this would work simply because Dolph Ziggler may seem like that kind of performer, but at the same time he's the type of guy that snubs traditions and wouldn't accept being known by anything other than his own name. I don't think he would even take the comparison too kindly.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Best milk company in the world

Cravendale is looking to come up from OCW...

If anyone was to become the new nature boy, of the current crop of WWE talent, you are correct no one fits the bill more so than Ziggler.

However, i don't think anyone could really live up to ric flair when it comes to being the nature boy. Ziggler would almost be living in the shadow of Flair as inevitably people would compare the two and as good as Ziggler is he's certainly no Flair YET, there is a risk he could be referred to as a "2nd rate" version of Ric Flair.

Ziggler needs to forge his own legacy, to formulate his own character and persona which works for him and at the moment he appears to be doing just that. He is top notch in the ring and his mic skills are improving every promo he cuts. I can certainly see how Ziggler could fulfill the role of the new nature boy but at this juncture of his career i think "the heel" and "the show off" are fine: simple but effective.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Wrestlezone.com
WCW TV Champion

The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kyo View Post
No. No. No. and HELL NO.
Sorry, what was your stance on this again?

Quote:
There's a huge difference in Rick Flair and Buddy Rodgers. Rodgers was great, but Rick Flair is something special that should never be replaced as the Nature Boy. It's actually almost insulting to Flair to suggest such an idea
Is that like Orton using Angle's slam? I don't think it's an insult at all, but rather a compliment. And more than that, it's not wanting such a legendary moniker to disappear from the industry.

Quote:
Dolph is great. I like Dolph a lot, but he needs his own character, his own creation. Not something thought up by like "oh hey, i'll use this old man's gimmick." That'd almost be like someone trying to replace the Undertaker, it's a BAD idea.
There's rarely anything truly "new" in pro wrestling. Even Flair took the idea from Buddy Rodgers, and while he turned it into something legendary, it still wasn't truly UNIQUE. If they truly just GAVE him the name and told him to run with it, that would be insulting. But the passing of the torch could be huge for Ziggler, or really anybody who took the name. It has to be intentional, and has to be done with care and not just cast away in two months if it doesn't pay off.

I still think ZIggler is every bit a "Nature Boy" as Flair at that age of his career. One of the best wrestlers in the world right now, amazing charisma, unique, has similar looks, and a great natural heel. I could see him easily adapting some of Flair's most signature moves into his own to make it perfect.
sendpm.gif
Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Pittsburgh's best kept secret.

Jaystrong322 is looking to come up from OCW...

I do hate Dolph's name, but regardless he is the best in the WWE right now. I'm a fan of Punk, Bryan and Rhodes but Dolph is the future face of the company and I have no reservations in saying that he will be the biggest star in wrestling very soon. As far as the Nature Boy idea...it could definitely work but like someone else pointed out, I would rather see Dolph develop his own character. Right now the show-off character works but as he gets more T.V. time it will turn into something bigger.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Everybody Has A Price!
Million Dollar Champion

SavageTaker is being held back by Triple H...SavageTaker is being held back by Triple H...SavageTaker is being held back by Triple H...SavageTaker is being held back by Triple H...SavageTaker is being held back by Triple H...SavageTaker is being held back by Triple H...SavageTaker is being held back by Triple H...SavageTaker is being held back by Triple H...SavageTaker is being held back by Triple H...SavageTaker is being held back by Triple H...SavageTaker is being held back by Triple H...

Like I said in the "Do comparisons kill careers," thread, such comparisons can really hurt a wrestler's career. When you attach the whole person and gimmick that Ric Flair to Dolph Ziggler or anyone else, what do you really have? A cheap impersonation that will never live up to the standards that Flair set.

I understand why you would like for this to happen, but I have to disagree with your stance. When most people think of "Nature Boy," they think about Flair and not anyone else. I say let Ziggler create his own persona and let him be him. I don't think anyone else is going to be like Flair and I don't think it's fair to recreate something of the past with someone new and expect it to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klunderbunker View Post
Your stuff is pretty good ST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfearbefore View Post
SavageTaker is the man. That is all.
sendpm.gif