WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling > Old School PPV/TV Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-16-2011, 05:35 PM

This is the return of WTM is looking to come up from OCW...

I wasn't watching wrestling at this time, so this is pretty new to me. But these shows have been like much of the Raw's we get now and would have probably turned me off to wrestling period. Barely enjoyable with little substance. Anyway, good review KB.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:40 PM
More Comfortable with the Seesawing
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

Yeah the early shows were just terrible. Now once we hit the end of May and Hall jumps the guardrail, things get awesome and awesome in a hurry. Hogan turning heel was the best thing that could have happened to him. These early shows were about the main event and that's it. THey're boring as hell but remember that these were the first primetime shows on regularly for WCW ever so this was a new thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 PM

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

Monday Nitro #25
Date: February 19, 1996
Attendance: 4,700
Commentators: Steve McMichael, Bobby Heenan, Eric Bischoff

I was planning on doing the other two World War 3 PPVs that I hadn’t done yet but I had to download them so you get this instead. We get two more rematches here as we have Arn Anderson vs. Hulk Hogan again as well as Flair vs. Savage part 9, which I think is just the matches they’ve had on Nitro so far. Let’s get to it.

We open with a clip of the WCW car winning the AAA level race.

Arn Anderson vs. Hulk Hogan

Anderson tries to jump Hogan pre match and gets drilled for his efforts. It doesn’t help that he’s all tied up in his ring jacket. Hogan’s eye is bandaged here but it’s not bad. Clothesline puts Anderson down as Hogan keeps his dominance going. Arn goes to the eye to take over and scratch that as Hogan takes him down with a single shot again. Bischoff plugs the WCW guys on Baywatch and takes a shot at Vader, mentioning the fight with Orndorff in the back.

Hogan continues his dominance which has been almost the same throughout the match. Out to the floor with Hogan hammering away. Back in as we talk about Uncensored. Oh dear we did have to get to that eventually didn’t we? Arn has had maybe 2 punches in almost 5 minutes of the match now. FINALLY Anderson takes him to the mat and never mind again as Hogan grabs the foot to send him to the floor.

Hogan gets a possible low blow outside and we go back into the ring one more time. Arn gets a shot to the rib and that’s his offense for now. DDT attempt and Hogan just doesn’t fall when Arn does. Are you kidding me? Big boot puts Arn down and Hogan puts on a figure four. Kevin Sullivan runs out and does nothing so Savage comes out to beat up Sullivan, which somehow gives Anderson the win via DQ. Uh….sure.

Rating: D. Boring as hell match here with an ending that made no sense. In about seven minutes Anderson literally wasn’t on offense for 30 seconds. I get that Hogan is a far bigger star, but Anderson can’t get in even a minute or so of control just to add some drama? The ending doesn’t help either.

Gene talks to the driver of the WCW car because WCW thinks people care for some reason. This eats up a few minutes because WCW wasn’t that intelligent at times.

Alex Wright vs. Loch Ness

It’s a young dancing guy against a relatively new monster heel. You figure the rest out. Wright moves around a lot and for some reason tries a wristlock. There’s really no point in listing off what’s going on here as we know the ending pretty clearly. Wright tries a sleeper and gets shrugged off. Bearhug goes on and I think Wright hits him in the head to escape. About the sixth dropkick gets him nowhere but he keeps hammering away. The elbow drop ends this with relative ease. Ness had two moves the entire match.

Belfast Bruiser vs. Brad Armstrong

The Bruiser is more commonly known as Finlay. We mention a tournament for the Cruiserweight Title. It would take place in America and Japan and would be won by some guy in Japan that no one remembers only to have Malenko win it in like a month. This is a rematch from Saturday night apparently. Snap mare gets two for Finlay. This is pretty clearly a filler to bridge us to the world title match.

Finlay works on the arms as Armstrong can’t get much in the way of offense at all. He grabs a headlock which gets him nowhere. We hear about Antonio Pena from AAA who I thought was dead by this point. Finlay goes to the floor and works on Armstrong’s leg. Back in the ring a leg lock goes on which we would call the Haas of Pain. We hit the floor again for nothing of note. Back in Armstrong gets some momentum going but walks into a half tilt-a-whirl slam/half powerslam to end it very abruptly.

Rating: D. Another dull match here. They spent a lot of time building up Armstrong as a serious challenger and then he loses that quickly? It was rather odd indeed but I guess they get some points for trying. Bruiser would go after Regal soon which would result in a great brawl on Nitro and that’s about it.

WCW World Title: Ric Flair vs. Randy Savage

Flair is champion here and has both women with him, both of whom are now dead. Savage still has a bad arm which was a legit injury so it’s understandable. Savage hammers away to take over as happens to Flair in most matches. We hit the floor and Flair gets a boot to the ribs and they go into the crowd. The women distract Savage to let Flair keep his advantage.

Flair gets an elbow to stop a charging Savage as they’re seeming a bit off here. Nothing too bad but not very exciting. Could it be that there’s no point to having this match at all? Savage puts the Figure Four on Flair as just about everyone seems to do. Flair grabs a rope and then gets caught in a sleeper for his efforts. Suplex by Flair puts both guys down.

They hit the ropes and Flair gets a hard back elbow to take down Savage. Vertical suplex by Naitch seems to hurt him more than Savage. They slug it out a bit so Flair goes after the knee and there’s the Figure Four. That gets reversed and Savage gets a backslide for two. They’re totally going through the motions here. They slug it out some more and Flair begs off.

Ten punches in the corner and an awkward backdrop has Flair reeling. Flair Flip in the corner and down goes the champion. Liz, rocking a tiny skirt, interferes and throws a shoe to Flair. It’s picked off by Savage and Sullivan sprints down for no apparent reason. Hogan chases him off and Anderson hits a DDT to Savage so Flair can get the pin to end this.

Rating: D+. Total meh match here that never got off the ground. These two fought each other so many times that I guess they were destined to have a weak one somewhere in there. This would be that match as neither guy seemed interested and there was no heat on it at all. Not an awful match but nothing great at all or even very good.

Booty Man (the freshly face Zodiac) comes out for the save. Somehow no one recognizes him for a bit until Bischoff thinks he might. He chases Sullivan to the back and isn’t named. Now he’s back as Savage might be hurt. Flair invades the announce position and says Hogan has lost twice now. Booty Man comes up to run them out. Now Hogan comes up and a six man is set up for next week. His name is Booty Man apparently. Yes that’s his name.

Overall Rating: D. Oh man this was weak. It’s like they remembered at the last minute they had a Nitro to do and just threw 40 minutes worth of stuff out there that they had used before. Weak show and probably the worst of the whole six month run so far. They didn’t care and it was completely obvious the whole time.

Quote:
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:17 AM
The current reigning and defending
Undisputed WWE Champion

Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...Hollywood Naitch is being held back by Triple H...

That sounds awful. I am glad I didnt watch WCW at this point, I really am.

Looking forward to the Hall and Nash debuts, as WCW became awesome after that but these shows really sound shit. WTF was Loch Ness (wasn't he that fat UK wrestler Haystacks?) doing in WCW in 1996....very very strange.

WCW had so much talent at this point already, and they just seem to be focusing on the veteran talent like Hogan, Flair, Anderson, Savage, Sullivan etc. Very poor

Good reviews as always bro

IT'S A DILAPIDATED BOAT!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Monday Nitro #26
Date: February 26, 1996

Another week in Nitro here as I hit both the six month mark and half a year’s worth of episodes. That’s kind of an accomplishment I guess. After last week’s awful show we’re back here with a six man main event which sounds pretty weak but it follows the stories I guess. Anyway there isn’t much to say here other than let’s get to it.

Theme song opens us up.

Sting vs. Big Bubba

This is a match that was on the Rise and Fall of WCW DVD where Eric flat out reads the results of Raw on the air. The idea was that we know what was coming on Raw but you had no idea what could happen here because it wasn’t taped already. Sting and Luger are tag champions here and yet there’s no belt with Sting here. Odd indeed and not the only time that would happen. Big Bubba is Big Boss Man if you were confused.

We talk about NASCAR for no apparent reason. Long stall session to start the match off here. Bubba charges at him and Sting surprisingly outsmarts him. Sting was a great athlete but he really wasn’t all that intelligent at times. Bubba takes over for about 18 seconds and it’s back to Sting here. Ok make that back to Bubba as they go back and forth pretty quickly.

We hit the chinlock with Bubba in control. Sting blocks being rammed into the corner and here he comes. Then he gets splashed and Sting is in trouble again. Bubba works on the throat apparently and we hit the floor. The idea is that Sting is used to having Luger there and isn’t that good without him. Bubba lowers his head and walks into a Piledriver and both guys are down.

The double count of course doesn’t last at all. Eric hypes Uncensored which is hilarious as he says you’ll see stuff there you won’t see otherwise. That’s true as you’ll see stuff there that is more horrible than anything else you’ll ever see. More stuff to the ribs of Sting and we go to the floor again. Bubba gets crotched on the top though and a top rope cross body ends it for Sting.

Rating: C-. Pretty boring match here and really just a way to let Sting look good. Granted there’s nothing wrong with that so I can’t really complain. Not a bad match or anything but it went a bit longer than it should have which made it a bit pointless. Sting was pretty worthless until we got to the NWO era anyway.

Sting and Luger are here to talk to Gene when the LOD pops up. They want to know where Sting’s head is because Luger can’t be trusted. LOD says Luger doesn’t know what it’s like to be from Chicago. Sting says they’re from the streets of Chicago and Luger is from the white collar section of Chicago.

Hawk says that Luger reminds him of a washing machine because Luger irritates him and then says he wants to go to the Atlanta Zoo (remember that we’re in Tennessee here) and knock out a gorilla. How do you even reply to that? A Chicago Street Fight is agreed to which Luger wouldn’t be involved in for the most part. Luger doesn’t know what a Chicago Street Fight is anyway. Lex has both titles here for some reason.

Lex Luger vs. The Renegade

Renegade is long past meaning anything by this point. The bell rings after a break. Apparently, despite Luger being in the ring, the Street Fight has been signed. Renegade hits some shoulders to take Luger down to start us off here. Luger gets an atomic drop which is no sold and a clothesline from the Warrior knockoff gets two.

We talk about the hell hole that is the Power Plant as Renegade stays on offense. Luger gets a shot in and hits a belly to back suplex for two. Sunset flip gets two for Renegade and we hit the chinlock. Eric makes fun of the New Generation. Every joke he makes cracks me up more and more given how far they would fall by the end. Luger gets a suplex which is no sold as Renegade hits a pair of clotheslines and a powerslam for two. Renegade goes up for a splash but Jimmy Hart shoves him off instead. Back in the Rack ends this.

Rating: D+. What the hell was the point of this? Luger looked pathetic here and was completely dominated for about 5 minutes before Jimmy Hart had to come in for the save. This was weird as hell and I have no idea what the point was. At least with Sting’s match the guy was a bit better than Renegade.

Sting comes down to yell about Hart being there.

Harlem Heat vs. Road Warriors

Booker vs. Hawk to start us off. Hawk sends him to the floor with a dropkick and we go outside for awhile. Back in and Hawk hits his one wrestling move, a neckbreaker, for two. Animal vs. Stevie now as something tells me that this is going to go nowhere. It seems that they’re trying to avoid actually wrestling as much as they possibly can. Stevie slams Animal and drops a forearm.

Back off to Hawk and Booker cheats to take over. The fans chant for LOD as Booker hits Hawk with the Axe Kick. Off to a front facelock as this is horribly boring. Hawk’s shoulder goes into the post and a side kick takes down Hawk. The winners here are #1 contenders. Animal finally comes in to beat up both guys with relative ease. Booker hits the Harlem Hangover but there’s no referee. Animal kicks Booker in the head and Hawk gets the pin.

Rating: F. This was so boring it was almost unreal. Nothing happened here and the wrestling was rather bad. The Heat had to have guys with them that could move to get a good match out of them. This wasn’t the case here at all and it showed very badly. Terribly dull match.

Ric Flair/Kevin Sullivan/Arn Anderson vs. Booty Man/Hulk Hogan/Randy Savage

This is going to get a lot of time here. Big brawl right from the bell and the faces clear the ring of course. Arn wants time and doesn’t get it. He has to settle for a guy named Booty Man smacking him in the face. That’s your official starting pair and as they stare each other down, here comes Kimberly, the Diamond Doll, to stare at Booty Man. Who came up with that idea for a gimmick? I mean seriously, ass man? Did Billy Gunn rip that off?

High Knee (get it?) sends Anderson to the corner as we’re spending a lot of time standing around. Booty Man beats up everyone as I think Anderson is still legal. Apparently not as it’s off to Flair. They can’t seem to go more than 10 seconds without pausing for something or other. Test of strength is won by Beefcake (that’s who it is if I didn’t mention that) as he’s been in there the entire time.

Off to Savage because Savage vs. Flair hasn’t been done in a whole week at this point. Savage clears the ring as apparently there’s no Nitro the next week. Good to know. Hogan comes in to beat on Flair because that’s what he does. This has bee a total wreck so far. A double big boot by Hogan and ass man gets two on Flair. The heels haven’t been in control yet.

Woman finally does something and grabs Savage’s leg to let Sullivan take over. Savage gets beaten on for a good while both in and out of the ring. He gets a shot in to take Kevin down and it’s back off to Booty Man. Not like Hogan should have to do anything you know. Booty Man sends everyone into Hogan’s boot and the leg drop ends Anderson.

Rating: D. Just a big mess here with the heels looking like idiots for the sake of another of Hogan’s buddies. Flair was world champion here but you’d never know it based on what he had to do every week for the sake of Hogan and company. Very weak main event all around and guess what the main event of the next show is?

Post match Hogan is handcuffed to the top rope and whipped one time to end the show. That would set up a lumberjack strap rematch for the next Nitro between these same guys.

Overall Rating
: D+. Well it was better than last week but that’s not saying very much. For the life of me I don’t get what WCW was thinking back in the day like this. They had the young roster they had at their fingertips and those guys can’t even get on TV once in a awhile? No Benoit or Guerrero? Not even in a token appearance? That’s WCW for you.

Remember no show on 3/4 so don’t waste your time looking for one. Episode 27 is on March 11, 1996.

Quote:
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:25 PM

Monday Nitro #27
Date: March 11, 1996
Location: Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Commentators: Eric Bischoff, Bobby Heenan, Steve McMichael

Think the name of the building is long enough? Remember there was no March 4 show so this is the next one up. The next PPV, Uncensored, is on the 24th so we’re coming up on that which should shake you to your very core. Anyway, we have another weak main event tonight as it’s the same one from last week but with leather straps and lumberjacks, which is a great porn title. Anyway let’s get to it.

There’s a new TV Champion apparently and it’s Lex Luger. He won it at a house show of all things apparently. Good enough I guess. That was the second time in a month that Luger had won it at a house show. Well it gives people a reason to go to the shows I guess.

The announcers talk for awhile about the main event later.

Jim Duggan vs. The Giant

Nothing wrong with an old squash to get us going here. Duggan runs right at Giant to get us going. Duggan really is a good sized guy which is something you don’t appreciate that often. Some fans have signs that say Call Brian and a phone number. They hammer away on each other but now it’s time for the bear hug from Giant. That Brian would apparently be Pillman and Bischoff went out to ringside himself to take care of it. Most interesting indeed.

Duggan bites the nose to get out of the hold and Giant is getting mad. Jim hammers away and gets a clothesline to send Giant to the floor. He tries the taped fist which gets him nowhere as Giant is uh, large. Right back to the bear hug but this time Duggan is sent to the floor. Duggan pulls the duck tape off the floor and tapes his hand up. Does he have a fetish for that or something? A few shots put Giant down and it takes Jimmy Hart’s interference to keep Giant in it. Chokeslam ends this.

Rating: C. Oddly enough this was rather fun. This was a big brawl and that’s what it was supposed to be. They didn’t need to try to have a wrestling match out there and it worked…kind of I guess. Giant was at a weird point as he wasn’t able to break into the main event yet but wasn’t really clicking as a heel as he was so athletically awesome that the fans liked him.

Another NASCAR guy is here. Oh it’s the same one from a few weeks ago. Apparently he’s doing well.

Steiner Brothers vs. Road Warriors

The Steiners might have jumped the Nasty Boys apparently and stolen the motorcycles of someone. Oddly enough this is one of two ever meetings between these teams, the other being a throwaway match in the Iron Man Tournament at Starrcade 1989. Why they never did it before then I’ll never know but there was never a major match between these guys.

Hawk vs. Scott to start us off here. We’re not sure who jumped the Nasty Boys and apparently the motorcycles belong to the Steiners. Hawk chops away but walks into a nice spinning belly to belly out of the corner. Pumphandle slam takes Hawk down as this has been more or less all Scotty. And never mind as Hawk knocks Scotty down and gets a top rope clothesline and a big boot to take Scott down.

Neckbreaker takes Scott down but he pops back up and gets a butterfly suplex to bring in Rick. Animal comes in as well and gets a powerslam and a dropkick. Rick flew across the ring off that dropkick. I’ve seen him sell less in an entire year than he’s doing here. Some Steiner Lines take Animal down though as this has been a big brawl so far. Belly to belly off the middle rope gives Rick an even bigger advantage.

Another belly to belly by Scott sends Animal flying although it makes me wonder how limited Scott’s offense is. Tree of Woe for Animal with Scotty on the floor and pulling away on the neck. Off to Rick again as the Steiners are looking far better here. The fans like LOD a bit better though it seems. Off to a chinlock by Scotty which is broken up by Hawk KICKING HIM IN THE HEAD. I love that.

Weak dropkick by Scott gets two on Animal. Double clothesline and both guys are down. We run down the card and hear about the Doomsday Cage Match (first time ever mentioned so I’d assume it was unveiled on Saturday Night or something) which was supposed to be a gauntlet cage match with Hogan having to beat Flair, Anderson, Luger and Sullivan. It would be changed sometime before the PPV, I think next week.

Hot tag to Hawk who cleans house. The LOD beats up both Steiners and sends Scott to the floor. Doomsday Device takes Rick down but Scott saves. Scott throws Animal into the railing and it’s an attempt at a Doomsday Device to Hawk. That gets broken up and everyone is down. Frankensteiner to Animal gets one as Hawk saves again. Steiner Bulldog to Hawk but Animal pops Rick in the head with part of the spike padding and Hawk steals the pin.

Rating: C+. Nothing wrong with a big old brawl for some legends. This wasn’t bad here as both teams were no selling everything which can be fun at times as it was here. The ending was a bit of a cop out though which hurts it, but I can live with that as they needed the momentum more. I still don’t get why they didn’t have the big match with these guys though. Never got that at all.

Scott says that LOD didn’t deserve to win and the Steiners are here to fight them. Scott talks about coming where the competition was and won’t answer anything about the Nasty Boys.

TV Title: Lex Luger vs. Alex Wright

I’d assume this is a title match. Johnny B. Badd was TV Champion but he bailed and would debut at Mania. Alex gets a dropkick to take over and throws on an armbar. Luger tries to stop for a breath but Wright dives over the top to take him out. This is one of those matches where they’re letting Wright get in some offense before Luger cranks it up and ends him.

Speaking of which here’s a knee to the back of Wright to send him to the floor. After a brief beating Wright gets a rotating cross body off the top rope for no cover. Luger gets something like a snake eyes in the corner to take over again. Loch Ness and Giant will both be lumberjacks later apparently. Wright makes a brief comeback and gets a leg lariat for two.

Missile dropkick gets no cover for Wright. He goes up for a moonsault press but Jimmy Hart interferes by grabbing the leg. Luger pulls Wright off and gets the easy pin. Kind of an anti-climactic ending as I was expecting the Rack. Luger is mad about Hart being out there as he wasn’t out there for the majority of the match. Still decent though.

Rating: C. Good stuff so far here for the most part. Wright was a guy that was able to do good things in the ring when he had to. Luger’s push towards the dark side continues which would be accelerated soon after this, although Luger would be a face again by the summer due to the NWO. Not bad here though and it was perfectly acceptable.

Hulk Hogan/Randy Savage/Booty Man vs. Kevin Sullivan/Arn Anderson/Ric Flair

Everyone will have straps that they can use here. There are also lumberjacks around the ring. Giant immediately grabs Hogan and the fight is on. Giant and Loch Ness mess up and hit each other so they get into a brawl of their own. That would be an ugly match at Uncensored. Every one is in the Foley flannel here. Booty Man and Sullivan are the only ones using the straps.

Kimberly comes down to stare at Beefcake/Booty Man. Egads. There don’t seem to be tags required in this. Flair tries to leave but Animal carries him back to the ring. This is more or less a riot instead of an actual match. There is absolutely nothing to say here as everything is all over the place. Hogan beats up some lumberjacks including DDP. Like I said, total mess here with nothing resembling a coherent match.

Flair and Hogan are FINALLY strapped together as Hogan still has a bad eye. No other pair is strapped together. Oh wait they’re not. They all have straps of their own. Shouldn’t that be something clear from the beginning? Big boot and leg drop to Flair out of nowhere end this. One of the biggest messes I’ve ever seen.

Rating: D-. This wasn’t even a match but rather just a mess. Was there a point to this at all? The lumberjacks barely paid attention to the match at all and just brawled the entire time. There was no way to tell what was going on and that’s not a good thing. Just an overbooked mess with no way of telling what happened at all. Not liking it at all.

The losing team bitches about Hogan. Anderson says they’re married and that this wasn’t wrestling. Flair says you can beat up any of the three of them but don’t touch Woman. He wants Hogan and Savage. It’s so sad that they made Flair into this raving lunatic character because of Hogan.

Flair storms the announcers’ booth to end this.

Overall Rating: B-. I was really liking this show up until the very ending. The main event was just awful but up to there it was kind of awesome in a wild sense. The matches were up tempo and big brawls which was kind of like something out of the Attitude Era. I liked this but the ending was pretty weak. Shame that Uncensored was completely awful as a result.

Quote:
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 PM

Monday Nitro #28
Date: March 18, 1996

It’s the final show before Uncensored which means we can get to it and then get on towards the main attraction of the year. The main event tonight is a tornado tag match with Hogan and Savage vs. Sullivan and Flair. This isn’t exactly an enthralling looking show but let’s get to it so we can get done with Uncensored.

After the theme song we open with Giant and Loch Ness fighting in the aisle. Apparently it’s supposed to be Luger vs. Loch Ness but Giant isn’t thrilled with that idea. Eric calls this the War Zone. Not sure if that was a jab or not. Luger comes out and poses and then just shakes his head and walks past the monsters fighting. Apparently this is a match.

TV Title: Lex Luger vs. Loch Ness

The bell rings and Loch Ness is on the floor so the match lasts 13 seconds and Luger wins via count out. The big celebration by Luger is hilarious.

Luger runs up to the announce table and says he now holds the record for the fastest title defense in WCW history. This is hilarious.

Tony interviews the Mega Powers and we’re told that it’s now the two of them in the Doomsday Cage. Basically they say it’s awesome and not about titles. In other words, the selling point was about the big cage match which has never been explained until the show itself.

Public Enemy vs. Steiner Brothers

This is a standby match apparently because of the other match going short. Public Enemy brings a table with them. Heenan still wants to know why Rick wears earmuffs. Scott and Rocco Rock start us off here with Rock getting caught in a tilt-a-whirl slam. Press slam hits and Rocco rolls out onto the table. That goes nowhere and it’s a double tag. Nice pop for Rick.

Steiner gets a suplex/slam so we’re told that Dennis Rodman has been banned for six games by the NBA. What the hell? No one ever accused Eric of making a ton of sense I guess. It breaks down and Grunge gets a bulldog to Rick into a plastic chair. It’s going to be Booker T as Sting’s partner in the Chicago Street Fight. WAY too much stuff, like that, was announced on WCW Saturday Night.

Rocco gets a DDT on Rick but gets powerslammed off the top. Off to Scott who powers Rocco around and gets something like a T-Bone off the top. Rocco tries something like an Asai Moonsault in the ring for two. Grunge gets two as well. We hear about the Cruiserweight Title tournament as we use this match to talk about everything other than the match.

It turns into a brawl which surprisingly enough the Steiners seem to be winning at. Rick is put onto the table but Rocco misses his over the top flipping dive to send himself crashing through the table. Back in the ring the Steiner Bulldog ends Grunge in a match that was far better than it should have been.

Rating: C+. I’ve been liking these shows a lot better in the previous two weeks as they’re letting the guys brawl a lot more and it’s working for the most part. Public Enemy did a lot better than you would expect them to in the technical stuff and the table spot was a nice touch. Fun match here with some good brawling to keep us entertained.

Arn Anderson vs. Booty Man

We hear about Booty Man vs. DDP where Page loses everything including his career if he loses. Guess what happened there. Booty Man takes over to start and Arn is in big trouble. Why did Beefcake always have holes in his tights? That’s rather odd indeed. We’re two minutes into this and Anderson has had zero offense at all.

He hits the floor to chill and gets a nee to the ribs to break the momentum. Anderson takes over and works on the arm as this is a really boring match so far. Booty Man takes over again and gets a slam. Back drop puts Anderson down again and it’s time to punch. Here’s the Booty Girl (Kimberly) to swoon over Beefcake a bit. Woman gets in her face and Booty Man gets drilled checking on her. A high knee (get it?) takes Anderson out and Booty Man pins Arn Anderson. I give up.

Rating: D. Boring as hell match that had a highlight of a hot woman coming down to ringside. It’s never a good sign when that’s your high point to a 6 minute match. Anderson looked more or less like an idiot out there and had to job to another one of Hogan’s buddies. And people wonder why the NWO was welcomed with open arms.

Nasty Boys vs. Road Warriors

Oh dear indeed this could be a hard one to sit through. The fight is on immediately as you would expect. The Nasties are all taped up after being jumped last week. We head to the floor almost immediately and we take a break. There’s no semblance of wrestling here which has been a common theme as of late. I guess it’s for the idea of things being like they’ll be at Uncensored which makes the whole idea of it being one night only kind of lose its luster.

Animal rips the tape out of Knobbs so Sags hits him in the head with a chair. Animal pops him back with it as somehow this hasn’t been thrown out yet. Hawk vs. Knobbs now as we get down to something resembling a match. Splash hits Knobbs for no cover. Okerlund has the flu apparently. That explains Tony being there earlier.

With Animal distracting the referee Hawk hits Knobbs low for a big pop. Powerslam by Animal gets no cover either. Elbow drop gets two but a splash gets knees. Sags comes in for the first time as it’s a brawl again. The Steiners run in and Rick throws in the spike he got hit in the head with last week. Animal pops Knobbs with it to end this.

Rating: D+. These are fine once in awhile but when it becomes the norm for the show it gets annoying. It doesn’t help that this three way feud never went anywhere but that’s more due to the NWO than anything else. Not a horrible match but I’d like to see some more wrestling rather than just insane brawling all the time. Granted that’s just me.

Ric Flair/Kevin Sullivan vs. Randy Savage/Hulk Hogan

Naturally nothing Flair does works on Hogan because why in the world would we want the world champion to look impressive? Hogan puts a Macho Man foam hat on Flair’s head and beats on him even more. Eric points out that Hogan has already beaten everyone. That was basically the idea behind this match: we had no one left to face him so let’s just have him fight everyone at once. How well do you think this went over?

This has been mostly Hogan vs. Flair and remember they don’t have to tag here as it’s Texas (despite being in Tennessee) Tornado rules. We go split screen with both screens maybe filling in a quarter of the screen. You know, because we need a split screen for Savage alone pulling himself up. Eric keeps babbling about Dennis Rodman possibly being at Uncensored which of course he wasn’t at.

They switch off Flair takes Savage down. That can’t happen though so Hogan hammers away on him instead. Finally the heels take over for a bit and it’s a Figure Four on Savage. Instead of SAVING HIS PARTNER Hogan puts one on Taskmaster. Savage reverses his and Flair lets it go. Flair shoves the referee so the referee shoves Flair.

Here comes the Mega Powers as it’s 10PM so we’re going to stay with it, since the C in WCW stands for Commitment! Hogan and Flair slug it out and guess who wins there. Split screen time again as the heels are in control. Luckily this one doesn’t last as long as Sullivan chokes away at Hogan. More slugging out as the Mega Powers get going again.

Woman pops Hogan in the bad eye again but Hogan launches Flair off again as is his custom. He Hulks Up and here comes Anderson. Anderson saves Flair from the leg drop and Brian Pillman comes out with a chair and it’s a double DQ. In a Texas Tornado match, there was a double DQ. And people have the nerve to wonder why this company was looked down upon as being idiotic?

Rating: D. I’m getting REALLY tired of these brawls. They were fun at first but when you know what’s coming and that there’s no chance in hell that Hogan and Savage will flat out lose they lose their luster really fast. Not a fan of these things and thankfully they’ll calm way down after this week’s show.

Booty Man comes out to help Hogan and Savage as Anderson waves out….oh here we go….Zeus and a guy named Ultimate Solution. These guys wrestled a total of one match in WCW and it would be on Sunday. Oh and Zeus is Z-Gangsta here. No contact here of course as Hogan and company bail. Hogan is all panicky now.

Tony goes in to talk to these new guys that comprise the Alliance to End Hulkamania. Sullivan rants a lot and says the big white guy is the Final Solution. Anyone that knows anything about World War II knows that this was a REALLY STUPID NAME. Everyone says Hogan is done and mention Savage a bit also.

The announcers talk a bit and we’re done.

Overall Rating: D+. Far weaker show this week as they suddenly seemed to crank it through the roof for Uncensored. The problem is that it became clear that they had no idea what they were going to be doing there. The majority of the matches got zero build on this show or any episode of Nitro in the recent memory here. Not much here at all and the PPV was even worse.

Here’s Uncensored.

Part 1:

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showth...38#post1469938

Part 2:

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showth...39#post1469939

Quote:
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:41 PM

Monday Nitro #29
Date: March 25, 1996
Attendance: 3,300

We’re finally past Uncensored here which means the countdown can begin until we get to May 27 and the NWO. There’s no PPV in April so the next major show is May 19 with Slamboree. Last night Hogan dominated….again, and Giant won a shot at Flair for the title later tonight. There isn’t much else from last night’s disaster, so let’s get to it.

There are three title matches tonight with the world, US and tag title matches. Last night, just the US was defended.

Belfast Bruiser vs. Randy Savage

Bruiser is more commonly known as Finlay. We hear about how awesome Hogan was last night with Savage just kind of being there. Ignore that Savage got the pin. Finlay is undefeated at this point so this is a semi-big match. He’s a big brawler that messed up Regal’s face last night and the announcers do a good job of hyping Finlay up.

The Irishman gets the European Uppercut which is the move that messed Regal up last night. It doesn’t get him anywhere but at least he hit it. Savage cranks it up and we hit the floor. Savage’s bad arm goes into the post though and Mach is in trouble. Finlay drops him across the guardrail and Savage is reeling.

Finlay works on the legit bad arm of Savage which took forever to heal. Savage is thrown into the crowd and we finally bring up the idea that Savage might be tired because he was in a huge cage match last night for a long time. Back in the ring and Finlay gets two. Savage makes a very brief comeback, avoids a shoulder in the corner which causes Finlay to hit the post and gets the elbow for the pin. Yeah Savage was a bit limited at this point, but his arm was seriously messed up.

Rating: C-. Weak match here but like I said a few times, Savage wasn’t his usual self and you could see that very clearly here. He was trying and they made Finlay look ok as it was one mistake and then a big move that gave Savage the win. Either way it was pretty dull but nothing all that terrible I guess.

Flair and the girls say tonight they’ll slay a fire breathing giant. He rants about how awesome he is and says Luger is on his list now. The girls agree that Flair is better than Luger as well. This was really entertaining for some reason.

US Title: Konnan vs. Mr. JL

JL stands for Jerry Lynn as we’ve been through before. We hear about Pillman being gone from the company now which would be a slight problem they would have around this time as Johnny B. Badd is gone now as well. JL sends him to the floor quickly. JL is on a roll at the moment, having beaten Malenko in the Cruiserweight Title Tournament. Konnan grabs the arm but JL escapes again.

Savage is apparently freaking out in the back and security is having to hold him back from killing Flair. Modified surfboard by Konnan now as JL is in trouble. They speed things up and a back elbow by JL puts both guys down. Springboard missile dropkick to the back of Konnan as this is just a slight step before being awesome. We hear about Benoit and Liger advancing in the tournament, none of which was aired on TV and about half of which was in Japan. Go figure.

Konnan tries a monkey flip but JL drops onto it and gets two. Nice simple counter there and it almost works. Konnan thinks about going up top but shifts to the middle one instead which fails. DDT gets two for JL. Off to the other corner and Konnan gets an Alabama Slam out of said corner for the pin via a jackknife cover. Ending was rather fast.

Rating: B-. Nice fast paced match out there and that made things better. The key thing to this was that it’s completely different from the previous show. What this does is give the fans something else to get into. Instead of like modern WWE where it’s the same basic style every match, this was polar opposite from the first one, which is the right idea for a show like this. Fun match here but Rey would debut in about three months and make this look like amateur hour.

Disco Inferno vs. Booty Man

We hear about Nitro Parties which were interesting ideas that actually worked for awhile. Battle of the asses here I guess. Booty Man takes over to start as Kimberly comes out again. She blows Booty Man a kiss and a running high knee ends this in maybe 75 seconds. Total squash.

Tag Titles: Lex Luger/Sting vs. American Males

This should be rather squash like. When Sting is looking at Luger, Luger slaps hands. When Sting isn’t looking, Luger doesn’t do it. Subtle things like those are always awesome. After a brief break (including an ad for WCW Magazine which I vaguely remember) we’re back with Luger vs. Riggs to start us off. This is the pre-half blind Riggs. Riggs was pretty worthless but he could throw a good dropkick.

Luger gets ticked off as we talk about the Chicago street fight that happened in Mississippi last night. Bagwell gets beaten down by Luger on the floor but Sting pulls Luger off. The champions have a bit of a disagreement here but nothing comes of it. Off to Sting vs. Bagwell which is teacher vs. student actually. Sting easily overpowers him and gets some slams.

Bagwell applauds him and it’s back off to Riggs. Sting is ridiculously popular. Luger hammers on Riggs now as this is rather boring. Double hiptoss by the challengers gets two. Luger is clearly wrestling as a heel here but he gets taken down by an elbow by Bagwell. Off to Riggs and Sting, who is somehow on the heel team by default. Sting clears house and gets a cross body which Bagwell stops cold when he could have broken it up. That’s good enough for the pin anyway. Luger won’t hand Sting a belt.

Rating: D+. This was surprisingly sloppy here with both teams kind of looking out of it. Maybe it’s from the champions having long matches the previous night but this was a far step below what they would usually do. Granted no one thought the challengers had a chance so that probably hurt a bit. Face vs. face is a problem too so they were against a lot here and it caught up with them.

WCW World Title: The Giant vs. Ric Flair

Somehow Giant has been around about 6 months and is a former world champion here. Liz has gotten half of Savage’s money and is throwing it to the crowd. Savage runs down the aisle after Flair but security ACTUALLY STOPS HIM!!! Wow indeed. WWE, hire these guys immediately!!! Now let’s talk about Hogan since we haven’t done that much tonight. He’ll be back next week. Pay no attention to the world title match here. Hogan is going to be here next week!!!

Giant shoves Flair around with ease so the champion hits the floor for a bit. Back in and Flair says stand there so I can ram into you. That gets Flair knocked down again and then press slammed. Ric tries to leave and that gets him nowhere. It’s amazing to see Giant just pick him up and put him back in the ring with ease. I always wondered what would have happened with El Gigante vs. Flair which was teased in the early 90s. This is something close to it I guess.

Flair has been able to get nothing here. By that I mean his offense has connected but none of it has had any effect at all that we can tell. Bischoff is hyping up Hog Wild, as in a PPV four months away. Damn man. Giant throws him around a bit more and then goes up TO THE TOP! Giant misses him by literally four and a half feet but geez that looked awesome. I mean the soles of Giant’s feet cleared Flair.

Giant still can’t be hurt until he misses a charge and goes to the floor. Flair gets a wire from Woman and chokes away but it’s not getting him anywhere. There’s the rope/wire again and finally a thumb to the eye slows Giant down a bit. Giant is on his knees and is up to Flair’s shoulders. He shrugs off all of Flair’s offense so Flair kicks him in the balls for the….non-DQ? How is that not a DQ?

Woman chokes him some more and Flair goes up and you’re smart enough to figure that one out. There’s the chokeslam but the girls, Anderson and Sullivan comes in. Anderson pops Giant with a chair and hands it to Sullivan. Giant chokeslams Sullivan, more or less turning/semi-turning face. Chokeslams all around and this gets thrown out.

Rating: C. Hard one to grade here as the idea was to make Giant look good and that certainly worked. He looked unstoppable in this match and Flair had nothing he could do at all. Giant would get the title in April and would hold it until August when he lost it to Hogan. The match was kind of boring but they had a different point here anyway.

Overall Rating
: B-. Action packed show this week but the wrestling was kind of questionable. It’s not a terrible show but you can start to see the issues of having the title matches all over TV: you run out of title matches for the PPV. By this I mean the world title as no one was going to pay to see JL or the American Males challenge for titles. Not a bad show but just kind of there at parts.

Quote:
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:47 AM

Monday Nitro #30
Date: April 1, 1996
Attendance: 7,000
Commentators: Bobby Heenan, Eric Bischoff, Steve McMichael

We’re in the eighth month of Nitro and finally into the 30s of the shows. The company moves towards Slamboree which hasn’t been mentioned yet but there’s some stuff to get through first. This is kind of a dead period for a few weeks so there isn’t much to say about this one. Let’s get to it.

We open in the ring with Sting and Giant just about to start us off here. Well ok then.

Giant vs. Sting

This would be the main event of said Slamboree PPV. Giant swings but misses as we’re told that this was supposed to be Sting/Giant (why?) vs. Harlem Heat but Jimmy paid off the actual team. Sting hammers away but can’t get anywhere with him. Cross body just bounces off Giant which always looks cool. Sting manages to send him to the floor but Giant grabs him around the throat for a chokeslam from the apron. Sting manages to get a dropkick to send Giant flying to the floor. Luger runs in to help Sting and it’s thrown out. Too short to rate.

Cue the theme song.

We see a clip from before the show with Jimmy paying off Harlem Heat to leave their tag title opportunity. Wait why would Giant be Sting’s partner when Sting and Luger are champions?

Flair defends against Luger later.

Nasty Boys vs. Road Warriors vs. Steiner Brothers

Rick vs. Knobbs to start us off in a rare (for this period and company) three way dance. Things quickly break down with Knobbs vs. Animal. I wish they were doing the version of this they were doing later in the history of the company where it would be three guys in the ring at once. Scott gets a pumphandle slam to Hawk for no cover. Hawk rams into the post shoulder first as this is kind of hard to follow.

Back in and the shoulder is fine. Hawk takes Scott down with a neckbreaker and a fist drop for two. Animal vs. Scott now and Animal is sent into Rick who drills him and gets two after being tagged. WOW that was a badly written sentence. Sags apparently tags in and the Nastys beat up Scott. They’re tagging in and out insanely fast here. Hawk fights Sags on the floor and now has a choke on Rick in the ring. I have no idea how they keep jumping but they’re not editing it or anything. It’s that big a mess.

Knobs hammers away on Rick and we take a break. There’s an explosion of pyro in front of a Nitro logo which probably scares half the crowd to death. Back with Rick vs. Animal. Now Sags just runs in when Animal tags Hawk. Ok so I’m not completely insane here. Knobs covers Hawk for two somehow. I’ve been watching this and I have no idea how we’re getting from point A to point B.

Sags and Scott come in and make that Animal vs. Rick. I want this to end very badly as it’s getting very annoying. Now Knobs is in there. You’re supposed to tag I think but it doesn’t seem like they are. Knobs sends Rick HEAD FIRST into the post. That looked sick. Now Public Enemy comes out and hammers everyone. In the insanity Scott pins Knobs to win. What the hell ever man.

Rating: F. In a match you’re supposed to be able to tell what’s going on. This was like something out of ECW’s worst nightmares. Terrible match and there was no way to tell what was going on as the rules kept being thrown out. Horrible match so of course it got about 15 minutes. Get on to ANYTHING else.

Hulk Hogan/Booty Man vs. Arn Anderson/Kevin Sullivan

Gee I wonder who wins here. After the entrances we take a break, complete with an ad for the Power Plant, set to what would become La Parka’s music. Heenan says tonight is his last night on Nitro for some reason. Booty Man vs. Anderson to start us off. They head to the floor with Anderson ramming him into the railing. Hogan (I think debuting the long tights here) takes Anderson’s head off with a clothesline. Scratch that as he had them at the PPV.

Off to Booty Man vs. Sullivan now as we’re just waiting on the hot tag to Hogan here. Hogan finally comes in and gets ZERO reaction. Anderson takes him back to the corner as we continue to talk about Heenan leaving. I don’t remember that at all but I doubt anything comes of it. Hogan gets a hot shot of all things and a double noggin knocker to make sure we’re still in the Hogan comfort zone.

Back off to Booty Man with Woman SCREECHING for Anderson to come on. Come on who? Uh I mean what. Yeah that’s it. Booty Man hammers on Sullivan on the floor and then goes back in for a sunset flip on Arn for two as Sullivan saves. Woman claws at Booty’s eyes (did I really just say that?) as we hear about how Woman wearing white is supposed to be bad.

Booty Man is sent to the floor again and we get into a standard heel formula with Booty Man playing Ricky Morton. And never mind as Hogan is tagged in rather fast. Still no reaction but the human sun is in there now. Liz, looking AWESOME in a leather skirt and thigh high boots, tries to help Anderson. Kimberly gives Hogan a show and it goes into Sullivan’s eye to end this.

Rating: D. Another weak main event level tag match here with nothing going on for the most part. It’s more Hogan vs. Horsemen/Dungeon to further prove that the NWO was desperately needing. I think the vast majority of people were just done with this feud but they kept it going anyway. Didn’t like this one at all.

Booty Man goes back to get the shoe and gets beaten down a bit.

Gene comes in to talk to the winners and Booty Man says he has an idea. Why do I have a feeling it involves bags of cocaine? Apparently it’s a gimmick match of some sort.

WCW World Title: Lex Luger vs. Ric Flair

No show on the 8th apparently. Debra McMichael is in the front row which would eventually lead to foreshadowing. Luger challenging Flair for the world title just feels right. Flair struts a lot to start as you would expect. Luger overpowers him as you would also expect. Well at least they’re doing things simply to start. Press slam sends Flair down. This is about the same opening of their matches they always had which is fine.

Flair gets in a shot and works Luger over in the corner. Luger fires away with clotheslines and Flair takes a break. Back in and it’s a straight thumb to the eye to put Luger on defense again. Luger gets going again as this crowd is DEAD. They’ve been this way all night though so it’s not just the match. Luger chases the girls off and Flair is able to get a knee in to take over for about the fourth time.

Bischoff uses the term stomping a mudhole which Austin certainly wasn’t using yet. Heenan talks about taking some time off to relax which I think would set up him being the coach for the Horsemen at the Great American Bash. Figure Four goes on and Luger almost gets pinned in it. Luger gets up and a sunset flip gets two. Superplex to Flair and Luger growls at him. Powerslam hits and Woman pops up with a cup of coffee. Rack goes on but Liz has the referee. Coffee to Luger’s eyes sets up a rollup (and feet on the ropes of course) for Flair to retain.

Rating: C-. This was there for the sake of having a main event. That’s not so bad but at the same time it could have been more. These two could have a passable match in their sleep which is a good thing. At least it wasn’t that bad, but it was there for the sake of being there which is never a good thing. Not awful though.

Heenan says goodbye to the announcers. He has one more thing to say. APRIL FOOL’S! That was awesome as I totally forgot it was April 1.

Overall Rating: D. I wasn’t into this one at all. They were seemingly running around like crazy with no real idea of where they were going with this. It’s not their worst show but it clearly wasn’t one of their better ones. That week off probably helped them a lot as they needed time to recharge. Pretty clear they had no plan for Slamboree other than Lethal Lottery, which sucked. Weak show tonight.

Remember: no show for April 8. Next show will be the one dates April 15.

Quote:
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Monday Nitro #31
Date: April 15, 1996

In case you’re looking around for it there was no show on the 8th so this is the next episode in order. We’re rapidly approaching Slamboree and after that, Hall jumping the guard rail. Anyway tonight is probably just another show as we haven’t got anything set in stone for the PPV yet. The main event is Luger/Sting vs. Flair/Giant for the tag titles for some reason. Let’s get to it.

Bischoff immediately makes fun of WWF for not being live. It should be noted that a week later Nitro would tape two shows in Albany.

Arn Anderson/Kevin Sullivan vs. Hulk Hogan

This starts almost immediately with no announcement of who Hogan was fighting. They jump Hogan when he comes in but Hogan fights them off, grabbing a figure four (horrible one) on Sullivan. There are some weird stips in this. If Hogan wins he gets five minutes alone with whatever manager he wants, and apparently that means the girls also. If the heels win they get five minutes with Kimberly. WHAT KIND OF SHOW AM I WATCHING?????

Booty Man is injured apparently which is why this is under handicap rules. Hogan gets knocked into the corner which gets Sullivan and Anderson nowhere. They don’t have to tag here either. Chair to the head of both guys as I guess this is no DQ. Mongo is already pushing for Hogan to win the title. Well of course he is. Back into the ring for more double teaming as Kimberly is here now. Spike Piledriver is reversed into a slingshot to send Anderson into Sullivan. Slam to the Boston Midget sets up the leg drop to end this out of nowhere.

Rating: D+. This is far different than most Hogan matches you’ll ever see. It’s barely a match as it’s definitely closer to a big fight. Hogan didn’t do much more than punch, slam and hit the leg drop. Ok so maybe it’s very similar to what he usually did. It’s pretty clear they have no idea what they’re doing at this point and are booking things week to week as there was little to no point to this.

Hogan throws Woman and Liz into the ring as Mongo says not to fight it. Think this is creepy at all? Instead Hogan goes after Jimmy who tries to throw powder which misses. Hogan pulls part of the suit off and Heenan shouts that he’s bareback. How X-Rated are we getting here? Thankfully Giant comes out for the save as this was one of the most oddly booked openings I can ever remember. Chokeslam to Hogan is totally no sold as Hogan is already back up.

Big boot sets up the slam as Gene Okerlund is in the ring for no apparent reason. Hogan picks up Gene and Heenan FREAKS. Hogan says nothing of note other than he’s going to get the title back. This was one of the oddest openings you’ll ever see as there was no point to anything that I could see and the whole thing was rushed. It’s like they’re not scripted at all here, which would make a lot of sense actually.

Heenan thinks Savage is nuts. It took him how long to come to this? Thank goodness he’s got his brains.

Public Enemy vs. Nasty Boys

THANKFULLY this is a street fight. The Nasties jump Public Enemy in the aisle to get us going. This is as a result of Public Enemy jumping the Nasties a few weeks ago and keeping them out of a tag match. We go split screen early which means each is getting about of the screen since we need a BIG WCW LOGO on the top so we know what we’re watching. Trashcan is put on Grunge’s head and down he goes.

Rocco takes down the Nasties as we hear about Slamboree and the Lethal Lottery which Public Enemy gets to team together because WCW is stupid. We realize that the split screens are showing the same thing so we merge them together ragain. Mongo says use a fan as a weapon. That’s actually a funny visual. Table is set up and there it goes already.

In the ring Rocco misses a leg drop with a garbage can under him. This is like a hardcore match but without the comedy. I’m sure ECW had nothing to do with this making it to Nitro at all also right? Down goes a cameraman so we have to drop the split screen thing thank goodness. Blast it we’re back to it again. Turner just had to be able to afford extra cameramen right?

Rock is sent into the railing as this is one of the biggest messes I’ve ever seen in my entire life. Ok not really but I’m trying to get space filled in. Mongo says this is like a golf crowd. Remember that this is before Tiger Woods so that’s really not a compliment. Grunge goes into a table he brought in as this is dragging BAD. More weapon shots as Knobbs goes up for a shoulder but Grunge’s foot is on the rope. I give up. Grunge gets some horribly weak chair shots as Bischoff brags about having a show in a tornado warning. FINALLY Knobbs puts Grunge through a table to end it.

Rating: F+. WAY too long here with neither standing out at all. They were trying to have a hardcore match and while it worked, having to go on nearly 10 minutes is WAY too much. These teams feuded for awhile which never went anywhere because this was the only kind of match they could have. At least it’s over now.

And of course it isn’t yet as the Public Enemy puts Sags through a table to almost zero reaction.

Randy Savage vs. Robert Eaton

Yes it’s Bobby as Regal’s partner. Savage is more or less a psycho here due to Flair. The bell rings after a quick break as it’s all Savage. Apparently he’s going to be in a show called Dial M for Monkey. It’s a cartoon and I kid you not, Fred Flintstone is in the audience. Eaton takes over and imitates Flair for no apparent reason.

Figure Four goes on as Eaton is very stupid apparently. He gets a Horsemen shirt from somewhere which is enough to get Savage to wake up and break the hold. We go to the floor for a few seconds until Savage cranks it up and wins it with the elbow. No rating as this was really short and just there to set up the post match stuff.

Savage tries to beat up Eaton more but a bunch of jobbers come out to stop him. Savage is like screw it and jumps over them with another elbow. Cops pop in and handcuff him to get him out of the ring.

Tag Titles: Sting/Lex Luger vs. Ric Flair/The Giant

Flair hits on Debra McMichael (Mongo’s wife) on the way to the ring again. Luger doesn’t have the TV Title here despite being champion. Sting vs. Flair to start which certainly works. Flair stalls so Sting plays to the crowd. That’s one of the many reasons why Sting is awesome. The fans were probably a bit bored so Sting drags them right back into it before he loses them. Little things like those are what make you great and they did for Sting.

Sting overpowers Flair to start with a gorilla press and a dropkick to send Giant to the floor. Bischoff calls it a jumping side kick for some reason. Dude, quit overthinking it. Gorilla press by Luger now and Giant keeps throwing him back in for a funny bit. Flair gets to the floor and runs up to Giant to chop him like an idiot as we take a break.

Back and Giant is back in the corner. He takes a poke at Luger to take him down and here comes the big dude. Giant gets a nice suplex which you rarely see him use and it’s back off to Flair. We’re fully into the main event tag style here. Flair gets the knee drop to Luger for two. Off to Giant again who cleans house with Luger. There’s the Figure Four as Giant is only staying in there for about 30 seconds at a time.

Sting comes in for the save and somehow misses Flair with a kick as the hold stays on. Luger was in the hold well over a minute so let’s see how long before he stops limping. Back off to Giant who presses Luger with ease before stepping on him. That has to hurt beyond belief. Flair comes back in and Luger’s knee seems fine all of a sudden. Shocking I know.

His knee is even solid enough to slam Flair off the top rope. Apparently even bad knees are able to observe traditions. Hot tag Sting to a very limited reaction. Superplex puts Flair down and everything breaks down. Scorpion goes on so Woman tries to throw hot coffee in Luger’s eye. Package ducks and Sting takes it in the eyes (make your own jokes) for the DQ.

Rating: C-. Just a standard main event tag match here which wasn’t anything great. I don’t think anyone thought we were going to have new champions here and we never were going to. This would be the main event the next week also until Giant snapped and took the title from Flair the next week, as in the 29th.

Flair and Giant beat down Sting post match and leave him laying.

Heenan tries to demonstrate the handcuffs that Savage was put in and cuffs himself to end the show.

Overall Rating: D-. Very bad show here which felt like it was being thrown together as we were going. The matches were bad, nothing was added to anything regarding the PPV and the whole thing was a big mess. The WAY too long street fight was awful and the main event was just ok. Not much of a show at all here which would be a sign until Hall showed up.

Quote:
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.