WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 03-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
World Heavyweight Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Default Going Global...If You'll Pay...

So WWE seem to be properly "going global" with massive events in Australia and Saudi Arabia now planned. It opens an interesting question and sheds some light on perhaps why we haven't had that UK PPV.

The Australia show is at the MCG which is a huge venue, operated by the Melbourne Cricket Club but owned by the Government of Victoria state in Australia. WWE's press release on the Saudi show flat out mentions government involvement (as is to be expected there as NOTHING takes place without it...) at the top.

We've already seen the "bidding" that American cities go through for Wrestlemania becoming "a thing", the 'E look for subsidies, tax breaks and events taking place all week in the chosen city... many of which may come from taxpayers. It's looking increasingly like WWE is looking at governmental partners for international events, who will do the same thing... throw in public money and tax breaks to get a "big" WWE event into their area. On one hand it is smart business from the WWE, but from the other side, there are better things governments should really be getting behind.

Most interestingly is I think this finally settles the WWE/UK PPV debate as to why we won't get a big event anytime soon. Forget time delays or the like... Our government simply won't pay or allow the tax breaks WWE are looking for... or perhaps, while Brexit is going on, they simply can't as it might piss off the EU.

Interestingly, there are rumors that Qatar might have the 2022 World Cup taken away from them and the UK then being a "standby". If any government funds were going to an event, it would be that rather than a "niche" one off show that would in reality, sell out anyway.

What do people think on this? Are you happy for your State/City to spend public funds to get Mania etc. to your city? or would you want your government to pay public money to get a big PPV in your country?

Personally, I'm torn... if the event DOES bring major investment or a boost to the economy there's an argument for it... but it was a choice between Mania at Wembley or our NHS... I'm keeping the NHS.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:20 AM
Shoot me in the Face!!!
WWE European Champion

Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via Skype™ to Face McShooty

The city is more than getting their money back when WWE comes to town.

The thousands of people coming in from all over the world spending money on hotels, food and other stuff that people need far outweigh anything they may spend on getting the WWE to come and set up shop for an entire week

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneBigWill View Post
I wish nature called when you were conceived.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:01 PM

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Not so much back into the public purse though... there is a boost to economy for sure, which is why they do it... but if you're government is flat out paying WWE to come to town and business makes profits? You 100% happy with that?
Old 03-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Advertise Here $9.95/month
Intercontinental Champion

George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRobtaylor View Post
Most interestingly is I think this finally settles the WWE/UK PPV debate as to why we won't get a big event anytime soon. Forget time delays or the like... Our government simply won't pay or allow the tax breaks WWE are looking for... or perhaps, while Brexit is going on, they simply can't as it might piss off the EU.
I don't think this settles anything. Are the AUS or Saudi events even PPVs or just being held in large venues? On top of that I don't think WWE cares where the money is coming from, they just care about the money. Sure, Queen Elizabeth could give slip Vince a billion sheckles for a night with Roman but it isn't the reason, it is only a piece of the puzzle.

Quote:
What do people think on this? Are you happy for your State/City to spend public funds to get Mania etc. to your city? or would you want your government to pay public money to get a big PPV in your country?
If it is good for the government and overall economy then I have no problem with it. If it is going to only help some special interests at the cost of everyone else then I don't like the idea.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Steele's Barber View Post
I don't think this settles anything. Are the AUS or Saudi events even PPVs or just being held in large venues? On top of that I don't think WWE cares where the money is coming from, they just care about the money. Sure, Queen Elizabeth could give slip Vince a billion sheckles for a night with Roman but it isn't the reason, it is only a piece of the puzzle.

If it is good for the government and overall economy then I have no problem with it. If it is going to only help some special interests at the cost of everyone else then I don't like the idea.
They will likely televise them on the network, which is in effect a PPV these days. The fact they're doing the Saudi event the same day Infinity Wars is out (although that's been moved up, to cause it) means they'll kind of have to for this 50 man Rumble event for it to go over... no way the Saudi government are forking over money if it's not gonna be seen world wide.

The Queen wouldn't come into it in the UK, it's the government and if London then it has a Mayor who isn't going to fork money over to Vince McMahon...

My concern would be the Saudi show... that's not going to benefit "everyone" in the way Mania might in an area... the very nature of how they operate there means only the relative "few" will go (or those who get in cheap/free will be doing so as a show from the Government) I didn't mention India earlier but adding that into the equation makes sense as their government will have thrown money in too.

There's a very thin line before the Saudi show is like the North Korean one WCW/Inoki/Flair did in the 90's...
Old 03-05-2018, 04:55 PM
WZCW's EurAsian champion (Still)

Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRobtaylor View Post
The Queen wouldn't come into it in the UK, it's the government and if London then it has a Mayor who isn't going to fork money over to Vince McMahon...
You mean like they do with the NFL? With football? With concerts? It happens all the time.
Dave also did my sig.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
X-Division Champion

Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via Skype™ to Rainbow Yaz

Have you tried writing a strongly worded letter to WWE HQ?

Someone should start a crowdfunding page to raise money to get the WWE to host a PPV in the UK. I hear wrestling writers have lots of discretionary income, maybe wrangle some of them up to chip in.

Never mind they just did that with the UK Tournament if Network Specials are PPVs now.

Saying the WWE hosting an event in Saudi Arabia is a step away from an event hosted in North Korea is so ignorant of the progress many Saudi leaders are trying to make that it offends me.

Furthermore, who fucking cares? WWE is a US based company, so people have the gall to complain their neck of the woods isn't getting live events. Actually, no I agree. I'm actually really upset that Liverpool doesn't host their games in America from time to time. Actually, I'd rather not be subjected to a bunch of Scousers rambling on about loyalty and next year. So hard pass on that.

Seriously, this post makes me believe people wake up and put their pants directly onto their head each morning.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:36 PM
WZCW Grand Slam and
ECW Champion

ABMorales787 is being held back by Triple H...ABMorales787 is being held back by Triple H...ABMorales787 is being held back by Triple H...ABMorales787 is being held back by Triple H...ABMorales787 is being held back by Triple H...ABMorales787 is being held back by Triple H...ABMorales787 is being held back by Triple H...ABMorales787 is being held back by Triple H...ABMorales787 is being held back by Triple H...ABMorales787 is being held back by Triple H...ABMorales787 is being held back by Triple H...

I think its a silly argument. WWE goes where they can get the most money. That's always been the case. The reason for them not having big events in the UK is because they are not needed. They get far more revenue for having Raw and Smackdown there thanks to their TV deal. Their Big 4 (and MITB) nab them big bucks with bidding wars thanks to turning those weekends into 4 straight events in the same building.

Government or just economy, they go where they feel the best money is. Sometimes it's great like the Saudi Arabia show last year. Evething paid beforehand. Now they get a nifty 10 year contract where it doesn't matter if they sell the full 60,000 seats or just 500. Sometimes it's a failure. Like India. And then they move on to the next avenue. That's it. No government needed outside of bidding.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:01 PM
WZCW's EurAsian champion (Still)

Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...

To add as well:

They're a new market to Saudi Arabia and not in the UK. The equivalent would be the Royal Albert Hall show in 91(?) which led to the build up with Summerslam 92. It's not needed in the UK at the moment. But to think they wouldn't get a tax break is not correct.
Dave also did my sig.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

For comparison's sake, let's look at the mentioned NHS. According to the NHS's website, it's budget in 2015/2016 was about $160 BILLION dollars. That's billion with a B mind you.

According to Forbes.com
, Wrestlemania XXXI in 2015 generated $139 million in revenue for the Santa Clara/San Jose region. San Jose, a city of just over a million people and the tenth biggest city in the United States, had a 2015 budget of $3.2 billion.

Therefore, in about one week, WWE provided over 4% of the city's budget for the year. Now, do you think this might be something that other cities or states might be interested in doing? Of course they would. Do you think most citizens care where the extra money comes from, as long as it's not coming from their pockets by way of tax increases?

Both sides benefit from this. The local or even state/national economies benefit and so does WWE. By putting a major show there, WWE could open the door to a large number of new Network subscribers or have a reason to come back for another big show. The local economy benefits from having people see what their big stadium looks like and some of the cool things to do there. Oh and there's the whole ticket sales, restaurants, tourism etc. money that comes with it.

Everyone benefits from this and it's done worldwide. I'm not sure how much Saudi Arabia paid to get this show, but I doubt it's enough to throw the economy out of whack. Or for the earlier example, I don't think England paid all the way up to 160 billion. Let's go crazy and say they would pay $100 million for the event. That would be .000625% of the annual NHS budget. I think they'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.