WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News
Loading...


Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-31-2017, 01:28 PM
SSJPhenom's Avatar
SSJPhenom SSJPhenom is offline
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Age: 29
Posts: 1,738
SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to SSJPhenom
Default Racism in the WWE??

I know that there have been several discussions on this topic around in here in the past, however, I've never been able to take part in one of these discussions and it's something that's on my mind and I just need to get it out.

So today I was watching a video on YouTube of Triple H on ESPN First Take talking about the Mae Young classic among other things. Now, of course they didn't talk about racism in the WWE during this interview, no. What happened is I made the mistake of scrolling down to the comments and reading a few of them and there was one there that stood out like a sore thumb. It read, "Steven A. should ask Triple H why there's never been a Black WWE Champion besides the half black Rock". Of course, being a wrestling fan for well over 20 years, I had to respond and correct the person. I responded with, "Booker T and Mark Henry were both World Heavyweight Champions for a good amount of time and Bobby Lashley was pushed very far very fast".

Now there were other comments with people talking about how Trips once called Booker T nappy when they feuded for Wrestlemania 19 and other instances of racism in the WWE. Listen, I'm half black myself and while I'll admit there definitely haven't been many black wrestlers to make it to the top of the WWE; I don't think that they're racist in the slightest. I think like I've always thought, that the only color that Vince and Trips and the others in charge care about is green. Fact is, while there haven't been a lot of top black stars, there have been top black stars and one of the biggest names in the history of the business is black in the Rock. There's also been top Latino stars and other multiracial top stars. So, no I don't think that the WWE brass is racist at all. It's very simple, there are far more white wrestlers today and in the past then there have been black wrestlers and wrestlers of other ethnic backgrounds. I really think it's that simple.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong? Is the WWE racist? Do they actively avoid pushing black performers? Let me know your opinions.
__________________
Credit: Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShiftLegend View Post
Thus why I'd let a girl put on a strap-on and get in there. You only live once.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-31-2017, 02:36 PM
LODemolition's Avatar
LODemolition LODemolition is offline
Registered User
Knockout Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 798
LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default

I'd like to think they're not, but it's kinda hard to defend them when they put characters like Kamala and Saba Simba on our tv screens in the past. Oh and not to mention Vince did use the N word before. I'm sure it's on Youtube if you haven't seen it. I'm not going to call him a racist, I'll just say he's made very questionable decisions in the past to say the least. Not just Vince either.

I believe it was WM8 when Heenan said to Monsoon, "I don't have any gold in my teeth. What do you think I am, Chinese?"
__________________

Last edited by LODemolition : 08-31-2017 at 02:41 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-31-2017, 04:30 PM
therockiswwf's Avatar
therockiswwf therockiswwf is offline
The voice of Michael Cole's headset
WWE Diva's Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SD
Age: 22
Posts: 510
therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LODemolition View Post
I'd like to think they're not, but it's kinda hard to defend them when they put characters like Kamala and Saba Simba on our tv screens in the past. Oh and not to mention Vince did use the N word before. I'm sure it's on Youtube if you haven't seen it. I'm not going to call him a racist, I'll just say he's made very questionable decisions in the past to say the least. Not just Vince either.

I believe it was WM8 when Heenan said to Monsoon, "I don't have any gold in my teeth. What do you think I am, Chinese?"
Vince said something like "What's up my nigga?" to Cena. It was obvious that Vince was joking. Though that is something you joke about behind closed doors and not on camera.

To be fair, Cryme Tyme was a racist gimmick (JTG's idea) but it was also incredibly entertaining. Kamala and Simba weren't the best ideas but they don't come from a place of malice.

The only thing Vince seems to hate is southern accents. Otherwise, he doesn't seem to care.
__________________
The Rock proposing to his Girlfriend
Rock: Will you marry me?
GF: I...
Rock: IT DOESN'T MATTER
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2017, 04:52 PM
mkw1962's Avatar
mkw1962 mkw1962 is offline
Registered User
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 324
mkw1962 is looking to come up from OCW...mkw1962 is looking to come up from OCW...mkw1962 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

I would say no, there is no racism in the WWE.
The New Day Tag Team Champions, Naomi former Womens Champion.
Rich Swann former Cruiserweight Champion
I hate to say it Jinder still World Champion BOO BOO, his opponent tonight Shinsuke.
There is no racism.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-31-2017, 04:54 PM
d_henderson1810 d_henderson1810 is offline
Registered User
ROH Pure Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,595
d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LODemolition View Post
I'd like to think they're not, but it's kinda hard to defend them when they put characters like Kamala and Saba Simba on our tv screens in the past. Oh and not to mention Vince did use the N word before. I'm sure it's on Youtube if you haven't seen it. I'm not going to call him a racist, I'll just say he's made very questionable decisions in the past to say the least. Not just Vince either.

I believe it was WM8 when Heenan said to Monsoon, "I don't have any gold in my teeth. What do you think I am, Chinese?"
All the examples you mentioned happened over 20 years ago, where more was accepted, and political correctness hadn't taken hold.

WWE made racial stereotypical characters in an era where "All In The Family" was a TV staple. Standards have changed, and WWE has been forced to change with it. Why do you think that they made the New Day three guys who espouse positivity, rather than Nation Of Domination 2.0, which was based on the racist Louis Farrakan arm of the Nation Of Islam (who I believe that Malcolm X disendorsed Farrakan and his activities). A stable like that wouldn't be accepted today, as it puts blacks in a bad light to portray them as racist (since, as the media will tell you, only white people can ever be racist).
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2017, 10:05 AM
tdmoon's Avatar
tdmoon tdmoon is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Midwestern US
Age: 41
Posts: 135
tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_henderson1810 View Post
All the examples you mentioned happened over 20 years ago, where more was accepted, and political correctness hadn't taken hold.

WWE made racial stereotypical characters in an era where "All In The Family" was a TV staple. Standards have changed, and WWE has been forced to change with it. Why do you think that they made the New Day three guys who espouse positivity, rather than Nation Of Domination 2.0, which was based on the racist Louis Farrakan arm of the Nation Of Islam (who I believe that Malcolm X disendorsed Farrakan and his activities). A stable like that wouldn't be accepted today, as it puts blacks in a bad light to portray them as racist (since, as the media will tell you, only white people can ever be racist).
While I don't disagree with the point of your post, I'm going to nitpick your example of All In The Family as a racist television show. Quite the opposite, it was a groundbreaking sitcom that dealt head on with a changing society. Though Archie Bunker often uttered racially insensitive words, he was seen as uneducated and a bit of a buffoon and it showed that the stereotypes he believed in were outdated and flat wrong. The episode where Sammy Davis, Jr. kisses him stands the test of time as one of the greatest sitcom episodes ever aired. Also, the series ended in 1979.

Last edited by tdmoon : 09-26-2017 at 10:08 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-31-2017, 02:46 PM
Slyfox696's Avatar
Slyfox696 Slyfox696 is offline
Excellence of Execution
Undisputed WWE Champion
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Missouri
Age: 33
Posts: 5,885
Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...
Default

The WWE only cares about one color and that's the color green. It wouldn't matter if McMahon WAS a huge racist (which, I don't think he's a huge racist, just an old man with an old man's understanding of the world), his love for making money would easily overcome his view on minorities.

At the end of the day, pro wrestling has traditionally been an entertainment medium for primarily white people. As the demographics of the viewership as changed, so has the racial makeup of the roster and the main-event. For example, just look at the racial makeup of the 6 men who main-evented the title matches at Summerslam, the second biggest show of the year.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-31-2017, 02:47 PM
Alex's Avatar
Alex Alex is offline
King Of The Wasteland
ROH Pure Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Old England
Posts: 1,595
Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Default

There's just not that many black wrestlers. Sucks I know but there isn't and of the few that there are only a small percentage could be seen as worthy of pushing.

Look at the current roster. There's New Day, Titus O'Neil, Darren Young, Apollo Crews, Cedric Alexander and Rich Swann. Now out of all those guys New Day have been the only ones to show a decent amount of personality. And they're all pretty good in the ring. That's three guys out of eight. That's less than half. Now compare New Day to the other crop of people they're considering pushing. Shinsuke Nakamura, Samoa Joe, Bobby Roode. These guys are better in the ring compared to New Day and have more charisma. If I'm going to push people who are likely to make me money I'm going to push the people that are better in the ring and have more charisma.

The Women's division is smaller so it's easier for people to stand out. They've pushed Naomi, Ember Moon is tearing it up down in NXT and let's not forget the Boss Sasha Banks is mixed race as well. They'd have a lot of a harder time standing out if the division was bigger and had Lita, Trish Stratus, Victoria etc on the roster as well but they're currently shining because of less competition

People moan about Jinder Mahal being pushed only for the Indian market. Would you want Apollo Crews given the WWE championship in two months just because WWE found there was a black viewership spike?

WWE may do some questionable things but I don't think they're racist. They push who has the most upside to them. Hence why Brock is champion and Roman is still being protected.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate. View Post
You can get rid of chlamydia. Much easier and cheaper than getting rid of a fetus.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-31-2017, 04:56 PM
d_henderson1810 d_henderson1810 is offline
Registered User
ROH Pure Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,595
d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
There's just not that many black wrestlers. Sucks I know but there isn't and of the few that there are only a small percentage could be seen as worthy of pushing.

Look at the current roster. There's New Day, Titus O'Neil, Darren Young, Apollo Crews, Cedric Alexander and Rich Swann. Now out of all those guys New Day have been the only ones to show a decent amount of personality. And they're all pretty good in the ring. That's three guys out of eight. That's less than half. Now compare New Day to the other crop of people they're considering pushing. Shinsuke Nakamura, Samoa Joe, Bobby Roode. These guys are better in the ring compared to New Day and have more charisma. If I'm going to push people who are likely to make me money I'm going to push the people that are better in the ring and have more charisma.

The Women's division is smaller so it's easier for people to stand out. They've pushed Naomi, Ember Moon is tearing it up down in NXT and let's not forget the Boss Sasha Banks is mixed race as well. They'd have a lot of a harder time standing out if the division was bigger and had Lita, Trish Stratus, Victoria etc on the roster as well but they're currently shining because of less competition

People moan about Jinder Mahal being pushed only for the Indian market. Would you want Apollo Crews given the WWE championship in two months just because WWE found there was a black viewership spike?

WWE may do some questionable things but I don't think they're racist. They push who has the most upside to them. Hence why Brock is champion and Roman is still being protected.
I think that Rich Swann has shown lots of personality, by his dancing and smiling, so he can be included as having something to offer in that area as well.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-31-2017, 02:49 PM
El Killjoy's Avatar
El Killjoy El Killjoy is offline
WZCW Grand Slam &
ECW Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwestern, Puerto Rico
Age: 26
Posts: 3,654
El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...
Default

In the past, maybe? But nowadays, it's more just the luck of the draw. Vince's hard-on for Lashley was pretty known and Big E was at one time prophetised as the next big thing. Kofi Kingston and Shelton Benjamin were two guys pegged for big spots but just didn't get there.

For whatever reason a black WWE Champion has never panned out. Its never been seen as being because of lack of trying.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"
Contact Us - Clear Cookies - Lost Password - WrestleZone Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Top - AdChoices