View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 11:02 PM
United States Champion

LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
I'm not going to dispute any of that but to me none of that makes the sport itself greater. David Stern with the way he has marketed the NBA has done a tremendous job helping the game expand internationally. Stern and the NBA put in the effort that was needed to market the sport and expand it globally. Up until recently with Roger Goddell the NFL hasn't really put the necessary effort in to expand the sport globally. Again though, none of this makes the "sport" of basketball greater then the "sport" of football. The International Federtaion of American Football was formed in 1998 and every 4 years the World Cup of American Football takes place. In the last 12 years, 57 nations have become members and in 2005 the organization became a full member of the General Association of International Sports Federations, which organizations like FIBA and FIFA are part of. Currently outside of North America there are 56 American Football leagues in 39 different countries. Japan, Australia, and New Zealand all have 3 or more leagues. With more effort to market it globally the game has grown tremendously on an international scale as of late.
I think that maintaining a global presence is a part of being the World's greatest sport. Further, one thing that's failing to be taken into account is that women play the same sport at each level. Maintaining a highly competitve, more level playing field across genres certainly does contribute. Basketball is there on both a grander scale in the Olympics for both men and women, with the best in the World eligible to play. Women's basketball was added to the Olympics as a sport in 1976 due to a greater demand, and college basketball in the United States added, a women's NCAA tournament in 1982, and opened it's own Hall of Fame in the United States. While Im not ging to argue women's basketball is immensely popular, it does maintain a presence and has grown in magnitude and populartity. Basketball is a more inclusive sport, giving it a variety that football simply can't offer.

Quote:
It is two completely different games in terms of the offense/defense aspect. The majority of NFL players are most definitely athletic enough to play on both sides of the ball and most ff them grew up doing so. There are many college players who switch positions on their way to the NFL and some go from offense to defense or vice versa. I can easily make the argument that many basketball players can't play much defense they just have to do it out of necessity because like I already stated it's two completely different games. I can almost guarantee that American Football players are at a physically higher level then NBA players. The list I posted also showed how American Football players more then any other sport could easily succeed at other sports, adding to their athletic prowess.
I acknowledged that the list was impressive. But most of the players who were two sport athletes, at least the prominent ones, played basketball first. While players amongst the lower ranks of sports play on one side of the ball or the other, they are unable to do so at the highest level, except for a select few. Look at the list for the NBA-all defensive team, and it reads like a whose-who of all-star OFFENSIVE players. Kobe Bryant. LeBron James. Dwight Howard. Rajon Rondo. Some of the most gifted players athletically in the league make up the all-defensive teams. I understand that the games are different but when your top offensive players and stars are also amongst your top defensive stars, it's a testament to the overall package of the players, a testament to their overall athleticism. And as I already noted, many of the prominent players who played in the NFL played basketball first, which is indicative that the transition to the NFL is easier to that of the NBA. Is there any other reason then basketball is the more demanding, more complete athletic sport? I can't think of one.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5165424

http://basketball.about.com/od/histo...port-stars.htm

Some of the great NFL players, as I already stated, were basketball players first. The transition to the NFL is simply easier because of the overall lesser demands athletically. Not physically, but certainly athletically. That was one of our similar criteria, and the edge here goes to basketball again.

Quote:
We can go back and forth all day but when you look at the greatest moments and greatest plays in sports history, American Football has more of a presence then basketball. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/espn2...er/25bestplays This list from ESPN has the top 25 plays and the edge goes to American Football over basketball. In fact 3 of the top 5 plays from both ESPN25 experts and from the fans are from American Football.[/Qhttp://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...moments/060321
This list has the 20 greatest sports moments ever on television from the ESPN page 2 writers. Once again American Football has the edge here, including two of the top three plays on the list. Great moments happen in all sport and we could have entire thread dedicated to just these moments but it would get us no where. To me though the great plays and moments in American Football certainly trump those in basketball on the whole.
And basketball is very well represented on those lists as well. Those lists are primarily taking into account American sports, with a primary American bias. While I place some stock in them, it's hard to do so when the other 6 continents aren't well represented. In fact, all 25 plays on the top 25 list are solely American.

Quote:
The college football system is most definitely flawed but those flaws are part of what makes it exciting every single week throughout the season. The same can't be said about college basketball. Outside the month of March the excitement just isn't there on a weekly basis. Going back to 1990 college basketball has had 13 different Champions. College Football has had 14 different AP Champions, so the tournament making more parity doesn't show in terms of Championship wins.
When I say parity,thats not what Im referring to. Look at last year, in the NCAA Championship game. Butler got to compete for the NCAA Championship. As a #5 seed. That opportunity isn't there in the college football game whatsoever. There are two pre-determined teams that play fairly short seasons. There are teams that have NO opportunity. One loss? Their done. In basketball, you have the opportunity through a tournament, expanded to 68 this year, that can legitimtately say they have a CHANCE to play for the National Title. And like Butler from the Horizon league showed last year, those chances are very real. It's splitting hairs over the number of champions between sports, but it's not with opportunity. To say college football is flaed is a major understatement. And because of conferences, where rivalries exist, there is that excitement all year long, several times a week in college basketball.

Quote:
The greatest sport in the world is American Football. I have dissected your arguments based on our similar criteria and proven that No matter how you cut it, basketball does not measure up to the greatness that is American Football.
I respectfully disagree. I feel Ive poked major holes into the criteria we've agreed upon, and in doing so, have shown how the greatest sport in the world is Basketball, not American football.