View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 09:01 AM
WZCW Head of Creative
World Heavyweight Champion

Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...

OK, so as you might expect, the first thing you want to do is create a canvas with a filled out background. I made my canvas 400x300 because it fits the rules of this board and it also gets a nice poster size for the signature. Anyway, once I did that, I filled the canvas with a pale yellow colour. It should look like this:

Click for Spoiler:

Once you have that, you then need to take a new layer and start working on the brushing part of the signature. It took me a while to find some good brushes but I eventually got some that would work with this effect. Iuf you have your own, then fantastic. If not, here is the link for the download.

http://myphotoshopbrushes.com/brushes/id/225

Once you have them, brush one of them on at full size and see how it goes. I chose red because that was the colour that was in the sample that was given to me by the person who requested this tutorial. So, I will be using red from this point on. Either way, it should look like this:

Click for Spoiler:

See, pretty simple, I am sure you will agree. Next, we need to find a render. For all the renders I have tried, this should work. However, you should try and find one with less intricate details for the best effect here. Something with flowing individual locks of hair will not work basically. Still, I chose a render of Bruce Springsteen for no apparent reason. This was the render I used:

http://psd-dreams.de/render.php?imag...04&mode=search

You can see that this render already has a nice amount of contrast between the highlights and shadows and that is what you are looking for in the best case scenario. It also doesn't have so much colour that it will mess with the next step. The next step, possibly the hardest step for some, is managing to turn this render into a bi-coloured render that would fit into the style of the signature. I must admit that I had to fiddle with a couple of things until I found out how to do it. I knew it was possible though and managed it eventually. So, paste in your render and resize it how you like. I had something like this:

Click for Spoiler:

This part is the part that gets people all the time. What you need to do is duplicate the render and then go to Filter > Sketch > Stamp. It should be noted that your foreground and background colours will be taken into account here. So, have your foreground colour set as the colour you made your background and then set your background colour to a deep grey. Hit OK when it appears and you should have something like this:

Click for Spoiler:

It should be noted that I added a stroke of 15 to the render so that it stood out a little more against the background. Feel free to make it how you feel though. If you like it without the stroke, then keep it that way. Now, as you can see, the text might become a problem in the render. However, I have the easiest way of getting rid of it and it wont be a problem any more. Take out your marquee tool and select an area at the bottom of the signature. I covered all of the text and then filled it with a deep grey colour. When you have did this, you will need to have something along these lines:

Click for Spoiler:

Now, at this stage, you are almost done. I decided that I wanted more shadow down the right side and all I did was take out a soft brush on 9 pixels and brush in what I though would look best. I then put the text in and this is what it gave me:

Click for Spoiler:

Now add a big ass border to that canvas, I used 20 pixels, and you are done. Not as hard as it could have been, was it?