View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 04:46 PM
WWE European Champion

Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...Cena's Little Helper is an Intercontinental Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThirdHebner View Post
Absolutely? It's an opinion, not a fact, so absolutely seems a bit much.
All right, if his statement's an opinion, then so is yours. But, I'll take X's opinion over yours because he supports his argument much more than you support your own.

Quote:
I explained it later on in the post.
I don't know what you're referring to here, but I doubt that you explained it.

Quote:
I didn't say it was bad to be stiff. It can be enjoyable to watch. But it's undeniably easier to do. How can you argue that? Making it look like you're hitting a guy very hard is easier when you're actually hitting him very hard. Regarding bumps, that's a different matter, because, as you said, you can't teach someone to fall. It's going to hurt one way or the other.
How many wrestlers can make their moves look stiff without hurting their opponent? The only two from WWE that come to mind are William Regal and The Undertaker. Yes, it's harder to look stiff than to actually be stiff, but this point is irrelevant here, as Michaels has never looked stiff in the ring.

Oh, and since I'm anticipating a certain objection you'll make here: yes, being stiff is better than neither looking nor being stiff.

Quote:
I disagree. Kobashi is a better seller/has better psychology, but i think Shawn is the better bumper. Regarding the storytelling, he did tell the one story very well (the underdog rising to victory), but that was pretty much his only story! He wasn't really telling any other stories. He was great at that one, but that's it. Shawn may not have told any particular story as well, but he told a wider variety of stories pretty well.
Better bumper? We're talking about the guy who oversold Hulk's moves because he was pissed Hulk wouldn't return the favor, right?

Also, what the fuck does it matter if that's the only story he tells? Can you speak Japanese? I can't, and Kobashi never fails to convey his purpose and intent in the ring without a single word. Michaels is a great storyteller, and I'm sure I could get the hang of what he was about if I didn't speak English, but I doubt he could perform as well as Kobashi without the use of language.

Finally, when did telling different types of stories in the ring make you a better storyteller overall? I could play 10 different personae in the ring and, according to you, I'd then be better at telling stories than Kobashi because I have more breadth than depth.

Quote:
I guess so. Maybe I'm looking at it more from a worker perspective, as opposed to a pure fan perspective, where the main concern is whether it looks real, and that's it. To me, as I said, the true art is performing without hurting your opponent, and the puro style isn't about that as much. To me, it's easier to look like you're hitting someone when you're actually hitting them, rather then looking like you're hitting someone while they barely feel you're touch.
And your point here has absolutely no relevance to this argument, as Michaels is a far cry from a wrestler who can make it look like he's hurting his opponent when he, in fact, isn't.