View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Sally Section
Mr. Money in the Bank

Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...Rayne is going to make some noise in the draft...

-Where We Are Now: It's Survivor Series, 1993. Currently, RAW's competition is Monday Night Football, and they've been counter-programming against that by offering their strongest match of the night at the 9pm start time. A 20-man battle royal is held, with the two men remaining going on to a match for the vacant Intercontinental title (won by Razor Ramon).

-Bobby Heenan Moment(s): Vince: "What heart this kid has!" Bobby: "Kick him in the heart then!" Also, Bobby Heenan talking with an exaggerated lisp after Randy Savage is given a 'lacerated tongue' by Yokozuna.

-Survivor Series, 1993: A packed Boston Garden chants, "we want Doink". Look, I watched this show while I was all done up on chicken soup and Sudafed, but I rewound it three times, it was there each time and I'm confident it wasn't a hallucination.

-Things That Never Happen Today: With a few notable exceptions, people never get their hands on each other before The Big Pay-Per-View. By the time we hit the network event today, The Bar has fought The Shield in six different combinations- and they'll do it six more times before the next network event.

-Things That Totally Still Happen Today: No titles are defended at Survivor Series, the card changes rapidly in the weeks leading up to the event, none of the storylines are leading to payoffs at Survivor Series, and unless you really see one team beat the other, there is absolutely no reason to buy or even watch this pay-per-view.

-It's worth noting that RAW is not the primary storyline driver that we've become accustomed to at this point. Almost nothing is heard about the World championship beyond stating that Yokozuna holds it. If there's a "big match" for RAW in this period, it's for the Intercontinental title.

-1993 isn't exactly a memorable year for professional wrestling, but with the Monday Night Wars starting in two short years, just about everyone who debuts in the WWF goes on to fairly long television careers. This year, we have Diesel, the 1-2-3 Kid, Lex Luger, The Smoking Gunns, Mabel, Johnny Polo, PJ Walker (who would become famous as, uh, Aldo Montoya) and Jeff Jarrett- who came a lot closer to using professional wrestling to break into the country music business than we all expected, it just took a while.

-On the other hand, Ludwig Borga, Mo, Oscar, Friar Fergeuson, Mr. Hughes. You can't win 'em all.

-On an episode by episode basis, there's not really much that's important to note right now. Shawn Michaels has a decent lumberjack match with Jim Duggan, but at this point if you can't have a good match with Shawn, then your name is Marty Jannetty. (And there's dispute as to whether Shawn made Marty look bad during their Royal Rumble match intentionally, because Shawn is definitely good enough to make someone else look bad without making it look like he's making someone look bad.) Almost all matches between evenly matched competitors end in double countouts or disqualifications, three out of four matches on the show feature squash matches against jobbers.

-Speaking of jobbers, at this point in time Duane Gill is putting in work. He's appearing twice per show, both as himself and as The Executioner.

-I'd imagine this format for posts will probably keep up until Nitro launches, with a summary at each pay-per-view. At that point I'll probably do more episode-by-episode notes- especially when they get into counter-programming time slots against each other and shit like that.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote