View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 03:54 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gift of Jericho View Post
The NXT product isn't that important to WWE. Or, rather, NXT having a good show isn't that important to the WWE.
I agree with everything except this.

It's true that the primary function of NXT has been to train wrestlers up and/or to have more accomplished wrestlers ply their trade for a bit in order to really gauge strengths and weaknesses. I'd say that this was initially the only real goal WWE had for NXT but NXT has essentially grown into a genuinely alternate brand for WWE. NXT has a big enough following that it's a successful touring brand and, in many ways, a lot of people feel that NXT is overall superior to the main roster because of NXT's consistently strong booking. On the main roster, it can be something of a crap shoot because Vince often makes decisions based on what he likes rather than paying attention to fans. Also, Vince is known to change his mind sporadically as his mood changes like the weather.

The main roster is, of course, the top priority, but they simultaneously want to keep NXT strong. Otherwise, they wouldn't have kept Finn Balor there so long and were waiting until they felt that someone was being built up enough or had already arrived that could be the new "face" of NXT.

As for Asuka, there's no woman on the NXT roster that's in her league and comes off as a believable threat. To that end, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they go a route that's somewhat similar to what we saw with Paige & Kevin Owens. When Paige made her main roster debut, she was NXT Women's Champion but she beat AJ Lee to win the Divas Championship and, as a result, she soon had to vacate the NXT Women's Championship. In Owens' case, he was still NXT Champion in his main roster debut and continued to be so for a while; he wrestled both on the main & NXT rosters for a while and I could see WWE doing something like that with Asuka. I could see them bring her to the main roster while she's NXT Women's Champion, challenge for one of the WWE Women's Championships, win said title and ultimately vacate the NXT Women's Championship so a new champ can be crowned. I could also see them having her debut as NXT Women's Champion, she feuds with a top heel or face for a while, she still works NXT cards for a while and if WWE feels someone has progressed enough, they have her drop the title at some sort of special NXT show or a joint WWE/NXT card as we saw Owens do with Balor.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif