View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 03:39 PM
Future Endeavored
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP is a member of the JOB SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli31 View Post
That's a good question. I would think the payments of that type of insurance policy would be pretty significant considering

1) The type of salary these guys make

2) The type of work they did

So you would think only upper tier guys could like Hennig, Rude, The Road Warriors could afford that type of insurance. We USED to hear all the time about wrestlers' working around injuries because they couldn't afford to stay home six months with no pay. Once guraanteed contracts started though I don't think a LLoyd's of London insurance policy was needed as the wrestlers' were considered employees of the company and not independent contractors. So if you are employed by the WWE and you get hurt in a WWE ring I'm pretty sure the WWE insurance would pick that up. As far as "career ending" injuries go that tough, I think the WWE would work something out where you remain on the company payroll i.e. Droz
@Makaveli31 : Plus, even when pro wrestling started getting guaranteed contracts with the help of Lex Luger, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, and Hulk Hogan, surgical procedures weren't as advanced as today where players can get serious injuries and still come back to their old selves. The likes of Hogan, Savage, Nash, Warrior, Sid, Goldberg, Steiner, Hennig, Bret, Bulldog, Rock, Austin, Luger, Animal, Rude, Piper, Waltman, HBK and Droz were casualties of old-school surgery, and some of them were turned into either retirement, shadows of their former physical selves, and/or became nothing more than role players if they were already realistically second-tier stars at best.

I don't think Hennig got a guaranteed money contract from WCW, he probably was working for the minimum and had to appear on wrestling while often injured just to get his pay, while Hogan, Hall, Nash, Piper, Savage and Bret were free to ease up on their workload due to being the most protected of WCW's veterans or shall I say, former WWF'ers from the 1980s and early-to-mid 1990s. Hennig ultimately would up with torn knee ligaments, and his in-ring style probably suffered by 1998, and we can't blame Hennig for phoning in his matches for much of '98.

Do you agree with me that Hennig, Animal and Rude were more undoubtedly beloved than Michaels out of all the guys who took out Lloyd's of London policies at differing points?

Last edited by TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP : 01-29-2017 at 03:45 PM.