View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 03:48 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
You are very wrong on Rude... The sole reason was not money, he was also pissed that Hogan refused to face him AT ALL... and Warrior was now refusing to job to him for the World title... Rude had played a massive part in getting Warrior the belt and was offended that Sgt. Slaughter, was being moved into the spot that was rightfully his. When he was told he was going from headlining Summerslam to facing Bossman (and being expected to lose) over insulting his mother...he balked and took WCW's offer.
Well all the interviews I've heard from people who were there at the time say the SummerSlam '90 payoff was what set Rude off. Remember, Warrior (as World Champ) was getting something like half a million per PPV while Rude barely got over $100K for Slam '90 despite carrying Warrior the entire match. I think the story is on "Something to Wrestle With" Bruce Pritchard's podcast. I'll post a link if i can find it.

As far as Hogan, Rude knew Hogan didn't want to work with him. Rude was there since '87 and I think they might have had ONE match in THREE YEARS at a house show somewhere but no way was Hogan going to work a program with Rude. Rude was in too good a shape for Hogan. So Rude knew he would never get Hogan in the ring, why would he pick 1990 to "suddenly" realize that and leave? That makes no sense.

Quote:
You ask what difference it would have made to Rude having a 2 month reign and the WWF? Massive in the scheme of things... as I mentioned, having Rude as a former (and potential 2 time) champ would have helped elevate a whole slew of new, smaller faces and helped to end the reliance on Hogan, Warrior and monsters like Sid... There was already noise that the roid issue could blow up in 1990... Rude may well have used as much as anyone, but a physically smaller man would have escaped the scrutiny Hogan and Warrior brought on the WWF. Rude did wonders for Sting, who had already been a World Champ but didn't really hit that level until this feud... when he then went against Vader he was ready... Rude could have done that for several talents in the WWF, even some we're not considering as they never actually "made it" to that level... Imagine Rude v Tatanka around 93 for example... Rude v Luger or Scott Steiner...
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. On one hand you said Rude made the U.S. title even bigger than the World title

Quote:
during that time he made THAT belt mean more than the WWF World title, feuding with Sting, Steamboat and the like...
And now you're saying he needed some obscure two month reign to somehow validate him so he could elevate younger talent? That makes no sense. The FACT is Rude didn't need the belt. He was "Ravishing" Rick Rude. His character overshadowed the belt. No one would remember some obscure two month reign. Do you remember Sheik's in '84 or Slaughter's in '91? No you don't. Even Flair's "reign" after defeating Savage is lost on me. Nope. Rick Rude would've done just fine without winning the World title. You just mentioned him "doing wonders" for Sting. Guess what? He did that without being a World Champion.

Quote:
As for DiBiase... he is the one guy who DID need the title...not A title but THE title once after the "purchasing it" debacle... Look at Jinder Mahal now... his stealing the belt works cos he won it. If they hadn't followed through all that promise is lost... Flair comes in and wins the Rumble... wouldn't have mattered if he never lifted the title again but he got it.

It WAS lost for DiBiase and while he did his best to make the Million Dollar Belt work, it always hurt him perception wise that he couldn't buy everything or back up his boasts...however good his work was, there was always that nagging question.
No. You are WAY off here. That's what made the "Million Dollar Man" gimmick WORK. The fact he could not cheat his way to the World title no matter how much money he had. The fact that he could not back up his boastful comments or "his mouth writing checks that his physical skills could not cash" is what made the character work. Fans LOVED seeing him get beat. He tried everything to win the title and he failed. Each and every time. That's a good thing because it shows money can't buy everything and you have to EARN it. So he does what every spoiled millionaire does when he does not get what he wants. He creates his own belt. GENIUS! It gave the WWE a FOURTH belt and it looked immaculate! As a kid, I didn't want a replica World title belt I wanted THE Million Dollar belt so it was a merchandising gold mine. But I digress. DiBiase did not need the belt either. The fact that he failed each and every time is what made his character memorable. If he would've won it for a short period of time he would be just another footnote alongside Stan Stasiak, the Iron Sheik, and Sgt. Slaughter.

Quote:
We'll never agree on the Warlord and Barbarian... I never saw anything remotely interesting about them... indeed The Berserker was more interesting than either of them for wearing a skirt and winning by countout... WWE wasted a LOT of "big men" in those days to appease their chosen few... even guys like Earthquake who did have talent or those with a name like Sid... Warlord never stood a chance.
I'll agree Warlord was "wasted' here. The guy was a massive 300 plus pounds of pure muscle. He was not fat like Earthquake or have a gut like Bravo. The guy was built better than either Hogan or Warrior. So just on that alone it made him interesting. Barb was the same way to a lesser extent. Again. Spectacularly built. In an interesting sidenote in the Powers of Pain shoot interview they actually said the plan was to have them split up and one was going to work with Hogan and the other with Warrior. Obviously that did not happen as Pat Patterson used his influence to work Dino Bravo and Earthquake into that spot

Last edited by Makaveli31 : 06-28-2017 at 04:00 AM.
sendpm.gif