View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 PM
United States Champion

LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy George Constanza View Post
In all sports, the one thing a team wants the most is to win their respective championship to claim bragging rights. It happens in basketball, baseball, football, etc. Do you see countries bragging about who won the most medals? Fans fight and start deadly brawls at soccer games because they have pride for even league teams. Picture the pride they have for an entire country.
So because people decide to act uncivilized, that somehow equates to meaning and pride? Somethings awfully skewed if that's the case. And yes, you do see countries brag about who won the most medals, as well as about their individual athletes. Its a rediculous argument that because people act uncivilized that somehow this equates to pride and attaches some sort of meaning.

But to placate your argument, look no further then the incident between Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding. The attack took place during a practice session for the 1994 U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Detroit. Harding's ex-husband, Jeff Gillooly, hired a goon named Shane Stant to break Kerrigan's right leg so that she would be unable to skate. Stant followed Kerrigan to Detroit after failing to find her at her training rink in Massachusetts, and struck her on the thigh a few inches above the knee with a collapsible police baton. Kerrigan's leg was only bruised, not broken, but the injury forced her to withdraw from the national championship, and prevent her selection from the 1994 Olympic team. Again, does that attach more meaning or pride to the sport because of her actions? On the converse, its disgraceful. There's no pride in the fans that riot, loot, and assault during the World Cup either, nor does it bring more meaning to the event.

A more recent example is the 2008 Olympics, where despite the presence of 10,000 troops and riot police, riots abounded following a soccer match between Japan and China. The same occurred after the USA-Canada gold medal hockey game in Vancouver in 2010. But to argue that rioting, assault, and murder equates to patriotism and meaning is a ludicrous statement. When my Pittsburgh Penguins won the Stanley Cup in 2009, people rioted in the streets. People use sporting events to justify this, but really, the sporting event is just an excuse for people to act like immature idiots. People riot when their teams win AND lose.

Quote:
So because more nations participate in the Olympics in the World Cup, the Olympics mean more? That's like discounting the NFL playoffs because only 12 teams participate each year while the objective of 32 teams is to reach the Super Bowl? 205 teams had a chance to qualify for the World Cup so throughout the world, you had the smallest of countries fighting hard to get to the World Cup because it meant so much to them and their country.

Your analogy holds little water here. All 32 of the NFL teams have an equal chance based upon the fact that they play, i dont know, 16 games a year? These NFL players are the best of the best. As for the World Cup, those 205 teams do indeed get the opportunity to fight for the chance to make the World Cup, but the playing field certainly isn't level. Can you say the same thing for a country, say Bhutam, that has to compete against a Brazil? Of course not. And for the record, only 31 countries get the opportunity to qualify, as the host country gets an automatic qualifier.

Quote:
Soccer is the most popular in the world which means more people and more countries watch it than other sport. The Olympics may have more sports but can you name one individual sport that carries just as meaning around the world than soccer does?
And as I stated earlier, soccer is also one of the events at the Summer Olympics. And it is the most watched sport in the world, but a close 2nd and 3rd are basketball and baseball. Here's the top list as provided by Sportingo.com.

Click for Spoiler:
Source: Sportingo.com
1. Soccer
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4. Cricket
5. Rugby Union
6. Field Hockey
7. Volleyball
8. Ice Hockey
9. Football
10. Rugby League

What do seven of those, including soccer, have in common? They're all featured sports at the Summer Olympics. So not only do you get the top sport, you get the top seven. Only the bottom three aren't Summer Olympic sports. The sum of these, especially considering one is the same sport played at the World Cup, makes the Summer Olympics far more important to the World then the World Cup.

Quote:
Parity is the biggest load of bullshit in sports today. The NBA was built off dynasties like the Celtics, Lakers, and Bulls. Same with MLB with the Yankees and the NFL with the Steelers, Cowboys, and 49ers. Those leagues were great because of dynasty and became better when teams became better to try to stop them.
Spin it however you like, but let me use another Pittsburgh sports example.
PNC Park, the home of the Pittsburgh Pirates, opened in 2001. Great place, amazing atmosphere. But the place is half to three quarters empty for most games that don't involve Fireworks Night or Free Bobblehead Giveaways. Why? Because the team has had eighteen consecutive losing seasons. When there's no competition, people tend to stay away and tune out.

Senegal set the world ablaze in the 2002 World Cup with their enterprising play, and made it to the quarterfinals. Senegal quickly became everyone's second favorite team (or first if their team wasn't in the finals at all.) Senegal failed to qualify for the field this year, and noone noticed, except perhaps the population of Senegal. Why is this? Because noone cares about teams beyond the 32 nations that did qualify.

Quote:
And Brazil has won the World Cup only 5 times and only twice since 1970 so I don't see the lack of parity that you are claiming.
I corrected this in my next post. While Brazil has won 5 times, only 8 teams have won the World Cup since it's inception in 1930. So of the 77 teams that have competed in the World Cup since it's inception, only 8 have won it. That's less then 10%. There's the lack of parity I'm claiming.

Quote:
So it's harder to miss the Olympics when it runs for 15 hours a day? I hope you're joking about that one. There's this invention called VCR and DVR or whatever you call it. I'm sure if you a rabid Olympic fan, you would know what event you want to watch and what country you want to watch. After all, they run coverage 15 hours a day.
That wasn't my argument whatsoever. My argument was that the sheer size of the Olympics is evident in the amount of television coverage that it provides. With the Summer Olympics, there's something for the fan of individual accomplishments such as tennis, boxing and gymnastics, and for the fan of team sports such as basketball, baseball, softball, along with men's and women's soccer. There's far more events and participants for a country to feel prideful about in the Olympics then there is in the World Cup.

Quote:
There's true national pride in the countries they don't even make the World Cup. Soccer players get killed sometimes because their country didn't make the World Cup. There just as much as diversity in the World Cup as it is the Olympics. Who gets left out of the World Cup?
Only 77 teams across the World have ever qualified for the World Cup. That's since it's inception in 1930. 200+ countries send over 14,000 athletes to compete in the Olympics every four years. Id say that far more people get left out of the World Cup then do the Olympics. Even if a country sends only one or two participants, that's preferrable to the country that doesn't participate whatsoever, which obviously is the case in the World Cup. And again, soccer players being killed does not equate to national pride or attach a source of meaning, it's lunacy and idiocy. And as Ive showed, it happens in relation to the Olympics as well as the World Cup.