View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
ROH Pure Champion

Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...Harthan is a United States Champion...

Huh. Missed the second baseman one. Whoops. And after I'd PM'd you and everything. Sorry. Cano probably would have had my vote anyway, so.

I think the only two guys in the conversation for best right now are Longoria and Cabrera. Beltre is going to get mentioned a lot too but I'm still not entirely convinced his bat is that good. Too much threat for regression, though his park is certainly helping. Inconsistency, age...eh. He's top 5 but he wouldn't be my first pick in a draft of third basemen, let's put it that way.

Furthermore, I'm really not terribly interested in performance so far this season. It's April. I'm certainly not going to start calling Chase Headley and David Freese the best because they're having hot starts. Although Headley might keep it up and stay pretty close. Miguel Cabrera is obviously in the conversation, but I think defense is going to cost him in the long run. He's kept his head above water so far, and kudos to him for that, but I don't buy it long term. Longoria's defense is slipping early and I think that'll continue, actually, but he'll still outpace Cabrera with ease most likely while hitting almost as well. He's also a much better baserunner. So, if I'm drafting the best offensive third baseman? Give me Cabrera, sure. But I think Longoria's defensive and baserunning advantages more than overcome the offense he gives up to Miggy, and he'd be my pick for best third baseman in the game.

Of course, they're all inferior to Jack Hannahan, but that went without saying.

EDIT: Also, Megatron, I love you, but if you're going to start naming the best player of the game off the first month of the season, you cannot possibly name anyone other than Matt Kemp.