View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 05:21 AM
I'm Literally Just Here for WZCW
Mr. Money in the Bank

Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...Just FalKonika is a United States Champion...

As a general note for both shows, I love that we've got the graphics and five pyro introduction to kick-off the shows. Feels good, man. However, there double graphic feels a bit weird. I think just having the Ascension/Meltdown graphic is enough. Also, what happened to the theme songs to open the show? I miss that.

Anyway, onto the reviews:

Meltdown 148

Not much else I can provide about the opening that Yaz hasn't already mentioned. It was great to get the Mayhem guys as the opener but it was way too short for an opening. If the intention was to have a short exchange for the Mayhem competitors then why not mix it up by starting off with a match and have a small segment in the middle of the show? Or even just a generic opening explaining the show before heading into the next post/match.

The opening triple threat was good for an opening. A match was had. Wrestlers got their stuff in. Winner was decided. Vee got given a small nod at his return. Cool. It definitely did its job. Unfortunately, unless I'm one of the three competitors in this match, I don't see the point of this match. It felt like an exhibition match. I guess it is very difficult to do something because the Lethal Lottery is the next match for these wrestlers but just a little something to give this match substance would've made it perfect. Makes the reader invested in the match, the losers get something to work with and nothing is taken away from the winner. Also, in this situation, doing something like having Logan win dirty gives a reason for Vee/Yemrez to go after him in the Lottery. Mini-stories are fun! Let's start seeing some.

The segment between Tastic/Lynx is an example of a mini-story I'd like to see. Some interaction between wrestlers who are lynxed (get it, linked, haha) by something but aren't currently feuding. And a nod to what someone said in their RP always makes that RPer excited. Gives off the impression you actually read their RP.

Reading the segment and then reading the start of the match, I didn't think they were aligned as well as they could. The Lynx/Tastic segment was tame but the match ramped it up by Tastic growling at Lynx. I thought it could've started a little more friendlier (the match) or the segment could've been a bit more fiery. The ending also was a bit weird, giving Lynx a nice word after all that animosity. A bit too friendly. Apart from that, nothing else to critique about the match. Solid enough. There is some fluff between moves that gives the reader a sense of how the characters feel. I always like that. Move-to-move-to-move is generally bad.

Triple X shows a little character and directing anger at specific characters he isn't feuding with but is affecting X's personal story. I like that. Creates a universe that feels alive.

The commentary was pretty generic throughout the match. The commentary feels added just to break up the paragraphs of black text... although there is a line about Triple X and Ace Stevens fighting back almost 50 episodes ago. Fair enough. I'd probably throw that in the pre-match commentary somewhere to give the reader something to care about before the match begins. Throwing it in the middle feels like a late attempt to get people to invest. Invest them at the start with these facts. Again, another solid match but it was just a match Ace Stevens won. Sure, Triple X got a segment so he can build from that a bit but I'd rather see some mini-story happen in the match. Give X & Ace a reason to win the match other than them just being scheduled to face each other.

The Studd/Vox segment was great.

Champions coming out first in a title match annoys me. I'm one of those sticklers for tradition, I'm afraid. As for the segment that wrote off War Zone, that could've been handled better. Formatting-wise, I personally would segregate that from the actual match with ------------------ lines to make it look like a segment, or maybe even quote tags. Also, why was that the majority of the match? Just a short mention could've happened and then host a match between Mancini/Studd. Do a regular Mayhem match with a few spots, have it so Studd goes to win but War Zone makes his appearance! Studd handles him by wrecking his face but Mancini comes in for the steal. Easy. Mancini gets the title, Studd has a legit complaint, War Zone is out and you can re-visit those spots for the Lottery match and call back to them. Like, Studd hits Mancini with a specific chair shot sequence and nails him perfectly. For the LL match, Studd goes for it again but Mancini sees it coming and reverses it. Bam, story-telling. Easy.

I know you guys didn't want to blow your load on this match in favour of writing a good Mayhem title match for the LL. However, nothing is stopping you guys from going simple, writing spots to set-up the match for the LL and ramping it up for the finale with a gruesome match. Saving the match feels like we'll be seeing the match for the first time rather than these two competitors having a legit gripe with the other and wanting to hurt the other.

---------------------------------------------

Ascension 125

Actually, I do prefer the picture of the "WZCW: A decade of excellence" on top of the show gif rather than two gifs on top of one another. The two moving pictures are distracting. One still and one moving is nice.

I felt as if Constantine spoke too much about Justin Cooper and not enough about the future ahead of him. I get that Cooper/Prophet has done a lot for WZCW but the time dedicating to thanking him was too much. The show must go on. Consty should've quickly addressed it, moved on and looked toward the next match. Not even one mention of Taylor or Batti... or heck, even Kagura, was a bit of a mistake. I understand Kagura but Taylor/Batti are literally scheduled for a match which Consty explained.

The Keaton/Constantine match was good but I don't get why Constantine came back out. Why not have him stay in the ring and only have Keaton make his entrance? Better yet, why not have Keaton come out to interrupt Consty and begin the match? The pacing feels off when you do that. The match would've felt a bit more personal, too, if Keaton would've interrupted/attacked Consty. Plus, given their history, it would make sense for something like that to happen.

I liked how you used the Vega segment to promote him and correct a situation. Not sure what to make of the video clip, though.

The Ty/Kagura segment had some Lucha Underground feel with two characters speaking to each other in different languages. I love that. Removing language as a barrier is cool and allows both characters to retain their images.

For the tag team match, I don't feel like I have much really to say that hasn't already been said by Yaz or just general comments throughout my review so far. Only thing I can say is that I'm a little sad Wren didn't get something before the match, considering Vega/Kagura/Tyrone all had speaking pieces. It would've allowed everyone to have a voice, y'know?

Unlike Yaz, I was cool with the segment. Having Leon interview Eve is a bit weird considering the Stacey/Eve friendship but it helped in writing my RP for the Lethal Lottery, so for me personally, the segment did well. No complaints from me here.

The Beard did not get a formal introduction from Selena Anderson (probably because she was drunk). The match was fine. Commentary, as Yaz said, could've used some zest to make the match a little spicy. Also, what about something to motivate Beard in this encounter? With Beard being a part-timer, it could've been cool to have a segment or speaking part saying he came back to Japan (cheap pop) only to challenge the reign of Titus and give him a run for his money. Since he is a part-timer, it wouldn't hurt Beard to lose if he built himself up as he can come back and be refreshed. Plus, running down Titus wouldn't hurt him either because A) he won and B) he's a legend who has held the title for so long.

The Flex segment was great... but it was on the wrong show. This should've been on Meltdown. The only reason I say this is because of what happened later in the night overshadowing this announcement. Considering the way Meltdown ended with the Mayhem match, this Flex return could've closed the show and got people talking. If the end of Ascension did not happen the way it did, I'd still put this on Meltdown because figuring out the new number one contender would've been a big reveal to rival the segment.

And for the final match, once again Yaz has covered many points that I would've said. Outside of that, everything was great here. I'd honestly be nitpicking. Maybe this match could've been a lot longer with Batti & Eve going a little further and not giving up at all. Possibly not ending with a count-out that has both Batti and Eve just roll into the ring like nothing happened. I felt there could've been more tension between Batti/Eve throughout the match and the post-match stuff. Build it up a little more with how much each competitor wants that World title shot. That little extra emotion would've made this perfect. However, this was the best piece out of both shows and I thoroughly enjoyed how it all went down.

---------------------------------------------

The shows did well enough to set up the Lottery. I'm surprised there wasn't a little more in the way of hyping up the Eurasian title match. It definitely lacked in that department to build it up.

Also, referees. Sometimes there is one. Sometimes there isn't. I know style changes based on each writer but a little consistency with the referee situation is needed. Either use the generic "referee" term or start assigning referees for the matches.

I hope all this was helpful.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote