View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 03:29 PM
Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
X-Division Champion

Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...Rainbow Yaz is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via Skype™ to Rainbow Yaz

Yaz Worldwide Presents: Ascension 125 Review
Paid for by the Titus Avison Corporation with special consideration from the Re-elect John Constantine Campaign

Right off the bat, the opening to AS was much better than MD. It was longer without being obscene and it had good content. One small issue
Quote:
Cohen: Absolutely, Cat. You have hit the nail on the head right there. What a card we have on offer here tonight in Asia. The Lethal Lottery is only days away and, on a night where anything can happen, you can bet that extends to tonight!
That bold part is a bit confusing to me. Is Cohen saying anything can happen on LL night and that sentiment extends to this episode, or is he being redundant? Could have been worded better, but a small blip on a good opening.

Moving onto Keaton/Consty. Keaton jumping before the bell and King Kong Roadie running interference were solid points. The match itself was fine as, end of the show aside, it gave the WHC a solid win over a decent midcard name in fairly short order.

The Vega segment was fine. It did its job in showing Vega was back. If I had a dime for every guy who came back and talked about winning the big one, I'd have a shit load of dimes.

The old theater reel bit.....well I was confused until I thought about it long enough, best part of being on creative for so long. If this is what I think it is, holy shit! I'm so excited you could cut glass with my nipples.

I have mixed feelings on the Tyrone/Kagura segment. It is always a bit difficult to get non verbal or non English speaking characters into segments, especially one of this length with a respected talker like Tyrone. This one worked well enough because Tyrone can speak Japanese, but that won't always be the case for those interacting with Kagura.

Tag match, again this issue.

Quote:
The lights dim again. The soft sounds of "Intro" by The Xx begin to play
There is no need for that when the theme music is two inches above. Also, this bit of commentary isn't good.

Quote:
Connor: Vega is back in WZCW Jack and his second task is in a tag team contest against two of the hottest wrestlers we have in the company right now!

Cohen: I wouldn't be too worried about that Cat! Vega has a dangerously fast tag team partner that the crowd is really behind for some reason, she's from an unknown place so I don't get it! How do they know her?!

Connor: Well, my sources say she has a history fighting over here and....

Cohen: Wait just a minute! When did YOU get sources?! I know what your sources are, it's the same source as everyone else on the planet, it's called Google Search Engine! Admit it!
Cohen heels it up in the second line, fine, but the first bit he shows a rooting interest in two faces. That shouldn't happen often, if ever. The entrance description on team two were better.

Quote:
A thunderous applause as her music plays, pink lights begin to swirl around the stage in a circular pattern
That bit was much better. It cut out the unneeded listing of the song name. The positive though was quickly erased by this.

Quote:
Connor: Wow! Have you EVER seen such a positive reaction from any WZCW fans like this Jack?! The welcome of our QFAD is absolutely mind numbing!
Yes, Cat favors the women, and yes, Kagura was going to cash in later, but she isn't John Cena returning at the 2008 Rumble. This is no disrespect to Ech, but Kagura is a career midcard act who had yet to win the big one, she would not be anywhere near this reaction level.

Much like the MD tag, I enjoyed that Jeff included a little bit before the bell of both teams having a chat about strategy. Actual in ring action was fine, but again, I take issue with commentary.

Quote:
Connor: That wasn’t just your normal ending Jack! That is what you would call some real overkill on Tyrone and Kagura’s part, wow!

Cohen: You’re not kidding Cat! What were they thinking? A Click Clack is bad enough but they combined that with Kagura’s Fifth Dance too, they’re looking to kill people out there! I hope Wren is feeling good enough to continue her career here, maybe she should sue these two dangerous workers.
Both guys hit their finish, that isn't unheard of or even uncommon in a tag match. Then to suggest Wren may want to retire because of it, it is the worst kind of hyperbole.

Truth be told, I wasn't feeling the Eve segment. Eve showing fire is fine, but the choker label has been bucked I feel. After her brutal verbal RKO on Logan in her Unscripted RP, I think she buried that trend. She dispelled the notion, but frankly it should not have been brought up in the first place, especially by Leon, who should be the most professional of backstage staff.

Titass vs Neckbeard. Big props out the gate for this in Beard's entrance.

Quote:
The lights fly on and Beard throws his hands in the air encouraging the crowd to chant "Beard! Beard! Beard!". He hurries down the aisle slapping hands with his fans.
I don't mind crowd chants if they are used sparingly, but this did a good job of not adding extra length by making the chant separate from the rest of the description. The Titus entrance was well done too, as Cohen getting super hype over Titus is always good. Connor's line was a bit meh, she should have just said 'Not my Champion" instead of mentioning Constantine. I think it fits the joke better.

As for match content, the chants were written without being disruptive. Commentary could have been better, it was very generic, but it wasn't bad and it wasn't taking the characters down a path they shouldn't go. Much like with the Constantine match, Titus scoring a victory without much trouble is fine. Beard is a part timer so losses won't kill him, and Titus dispatching a former WHC in relatively short order gives him a boost. I also like that Titus didn't try to out muscle Beard and wrestled smart, My only issue was Beard got a rope break after a long ankle lock, hobbles to his feet, and his first move is a spinning back kick. Yes, Titus avoided it, but doing a fancy kick literally seconds after being put in a leg based submission doesn't make sense.

The post match with TMZ was fun.

I've covered the Flex segment elsewhere.

Given the end of the show, Constantine had purpose being at the desk, so no complaints there. I would have preferred a color that wasn't blue since I see blue commentary and think Copeland, but it isn't the end of the world.

Quote:
Connor: I can't stress how important this match is. This is the first time in over 5 years that a woman will be guaranteed a world title shot. Isn't that exciting?

Cohen: I don't see gender Cat. What I see is two people who are fighting for the top spot. It's the way of WZCW.
I love this for two reasons. 1) Y'all know how I feel over the whole "first female to do x" praise. I don't feel it should matter if the character is male or female as both have been on equal footing for a long time here. There have just been less females. 2) Cat marks over girl power, and Cohen shut her down. It fits the profile of both. Good on ya.

My personal preference is the *DING! DING!* to signal a match start, but writing the ref calling for the bell works. Just make sure something is there to signify the start.

I like the false finish, as it showed Eve was at one point capable of putting Batti down, but it wasn't some BS with outside interference that saved Batti. She still had the presence of mind to get the foot up so she doesn't look like a complete loser.

In ring wise, the size difference was played up well. Eve towered over Batti and used that to her advantage. I also enjoyed the nod to Eve's ankle issues. This match wasn't some flip fest bingo hall show, nor was it an epic KC main event. It did a fine job of giving two upcoming WHC contenders a couple of moments and played well to each respective character.

Quote:
Batti rolls out of the ring once again but Taylor follows her. The begin to trade kicks and punches on the outside as Katie Shepard begins to count. 1. Taylor is hit in the ankle again by Batti. 2. Batti goes for a second hit but Taylor throws her by the hair into the barrier. 3. Taylor delivers some stomps on Batti. 4. Boo's reign down on Taylor as she poses. 5. Taylor picks up Batti and whips her into the steel steps. 6. Taylor waits for Batti to stand. Designer Clothesline! The Pendulum Lariat knocks Batti flying. 8. Taylor picks Batti and goes for another delayed Saito Suplex. Batti is in the air! 9. Eve Taylor's ankle gives way and both ladies crash to the ground! 10! The bell rings!
That bit was certainly a different way of doing a count out. I wasn't sure how I felt at first about it, but it did flow well. Reading the entire match and considering the previous Eve segment, I think it worked. You did forget to put in 7 though. Overall I think the countout worked here. At times when we need a draw we try to come up with something cool and unique. Hole in the ring, crash through the barricade, wild brawl through the crowd. This did its job, with a fired up Eve getting too carried away with hurting Batti, losing track of time, and having her previously worked over ankle go out. The psychology leading up to that were 10/10 would bang again.

Quote:
Myles: This can't be the way that Ascension ends, damn it! Curve-balls and lack of resolution might be what Becky Serra is trying to achieve on Meltdown but it will not happen here! Mark my words!
I also liked this bit of Myles speech. The two GMs are technically try to outdo each other with their show, so having Chuck take a shot at Becky works here.

The best part of the cash in, was the copyright info fake out. That has been a big hit for NXT and Gargano getting blitzed by Ciampa lately, so no issue borrowing something from real life and putting our stamp on it.

This go round, Ascension beat Meltdown, thanks to better writing throughout.

I hope that these last two bits can help answer any questions y'all had and help you moving forward.

Last edited by Rainbow Yaz : 03-05-2018 at 03:42 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote