View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 11:29 AM
WWE Women's Champion

MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRobtaylor View Post
This was the first time I remember saying "Why is he not champion?"

It made little sense to not let him keep the title and still doesn't to me... if he can buy it, he can buy it... the gimmick says that. If he buys it, keeps it and LOSES it right away to Savage at Mania 4, then its a much bigger stage to get Savage off the ground and the feud is red hot thereafter.

I think Hogan/Andre simply didn't want to step away into their own feud/go down the card more than DiBiase not being the right guy. Hogan wasn't going to be there, but he couldn't bear two smaller guys being above him while he was gone.... so Andre had to be involved and thus him.

Even the tournament to be was ruined by having Hogan and Andre in it, but we won't rehash that bile...

That angle could have been the biggest in history, today it's an interesting moment rather than a major one... all because they wouldn't let DiBiase hold the belt and defend it once...
It made perfect sense.

You were not allowed to purchase a championship. End discussion. Nothing more to understand.

Andre pinned Hogan in the ring to defeat him in a championship match, so regardless of how he did it, he still defeated him for the championship.

But he was not allowed to 'sell' the championship to another party, so Dibiase was never the champion. However, when he did attempt to sell it, he was forfeiting the title, so he was no longer champion either.

Just because Dibiase's gimmick was that he could buy anything, doesn't mean that he could actually buy anything.

Mr. Perfect's gimmick was he could never lose because he was perfect. He would still lose anyways.

I don't think that you can argue the execution of that angle. It's one of the biggest, most successful angles in history. If it was just an 'interesting moment', I doubt very much it would still be remembered as well as it is 30 years later.