View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 10:03 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...HeenanGorilla worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGlasgow View Post
Unfortunately being from the UK I didn't get to see the surprise and instead just read about afterwards in wrestling magazines, Did eventually get to see it a couple of years later obviously the confusion and surprise were lost on me by this time, I thought it was a great angle and fitted in perfectly with Ted Dibiase's persona as it was the one goal he had not achieved was winning the world title so buying it made sense as he had supposedly bought everything else and he claimed everyone has a price and the twin referees just added to the whole thing its one of these angles where it always stays in your mind as one of the best unexpected endings.
If I were to choose one wrestler past or present who should have been world champion it would be Ted Debiase with his wealth and the addition of Andre and Virgil at his side he would have come accross as a very powerful world champion within that era and would have made for some good storylines with the fan favourites chasing the title as we never really got a proper heel champion for longer than a couple of months during the 80's and early 90's, Sheik and Slaughter felt like transitional champions and Savage only turned heel towards the end of his reign even Flair only held it for a couple of months after he won the royal rumble.
I agree that with Andre and Virgil in his corner and with a seemingly endless supply of cash, he could have been a long-time heel champ, much like Honky was with the IC belt. No one ever mistook Honky for the best wrestler in WWF, but his underhanded ways of retaining the belt made him a wonderful heel champ that was able to last for over a year. I think if you add DiBiase & company and his resources to that equation, it could have been a multi-year success. Not necessarily a straight run of DiBiase being champ, but maybe a year or so to start and then Hogan, for example, beats him...but then DiBiase uses his money and power to regain. That could have continued for several years and stayed hot atop the card.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote