View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Torn between Rooney & Kate Mara
WWE Champion

Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...

Jigsaw- 4/10

I've seen it all before. The teamwork for the players in Jigsaw's game is a little bit more cohesive, but you still have one or more players, who don't want to work together. Certain players would've made it out safely or alive, if they just played by the rules, and listened to Jigsaw's warnings, but they don't, so they have to deal with consequences (losing a body part, lots of blood, etc.).

If you've seen more than one Saw film, you basically know how things are going to play out, when the game starts, and of course, the movie ends with a plethora of twists and reveals to leave things wide open for future installments. They could EASILY make another three or four films, and the movie ends with another apprentice reveal, because you know, someone has to continue Jigsaw's work.

Hannah Emily Anderson's Eleanor is a red herring, but she's a nice change of pace, when you consider the usual set of characters in a Saw film. She's in the movie to facilitate a nostalgia kick (hard to believe the original Saw was released in 2004), because her studio is filled with traps from previous Saw films, but still, it's refreshing to see someone, who's not a sleazebag, a conflicted and tortured soul, or someone, who snapped after a personal tragedy in their lives.

The big return and the set up for said character's big return caught me off guard. I'll try and tip-toe around spoilers, but You Know Who returns during the final stages of the movie, and it's a genuine surprise, because he's supposed to be dead. There's more to it, but I'll basically spoil the whole movie, if I go too deep into what happens. Although, the more I think about, they used a similar trick in Saw II, so it's been done before to a certain extent.

Billy The Puppet's eyes light up, Jigsaw probably has some of the best traps in the series, but if you've seen one Saw film, then you know what to expect, and Jigsaw basically follows the same routine. Boring, dull, and to add to that, it's damn near impossible to suspend disbelief and buy into the high stakes after seven sequels, because you know they're going to leave things wide open for another set of films.

A fan asked Leigh Whannell about the ending to Saw III on Twitter, and he confirmed what I always believed. Saw III was supposed to end the series with John's death, but Whannell had to write in the parts with Amanda and the letter and John pouring wax on the tape after orders from the powers that be. In Hollywood, it's basically standard procedure to milk a film series for all it's worth with as many sequels as possible, especially a horror franchise that doesn't require a big budget for each film.

I've never been a big fan of the original Saw, and Saw III is still my pick for the best in the series. Saw IV was terrible, but VI is an underrated film in the series. Using the social commentary with the problems for health care in the US, and plugging that into Saw's usual formula during the game gave a Saw film a creative twist for the first time in years. Saw 7 (or Saw 3D) was underwhelming and mediocre, and the movie didn't pack the powerful punch of a big finale. Again, it's just hard to buy into high stakes, when you know they're going to throw two or three twists at you during the final moments of the movie, ANOTHER apprentice reveal, and the usual flashbacks with Jigsaw.