View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 06:17 PM
WZCW Head of Creative
World Heavyweight Champion

Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...Dave is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...

Halloween Havoc 1997

You know, I had planned on doing a review in the typical style of KB but time has not been my friend as of late and I just haven't gotten around to it. In fact, it was a minor miracle that I was able to find the several hours to get the PPV watched... Nevertheless, I got there in the end and, well, I am not quite sure what to make of it all quite frankly.

You see, I was never a WCW fan in the first place. In 1997, I was 7 years old and not really in the clutches of wrestling at that point. In fact, it was about 3 or 4 years later that I became a wrestling addict. That attraction really came along with the Attitude Era of WWF and a TV deal with a free-to-view TV channel in the UK. The truth of the matter is that the WWF was more accessible to someone like me when I was 7 years old and WCW just, kind of, existed outside of the periphery of my TV consumption.

Still, in preparation for watching this event – an event that I had never seen before – I looked up the match card before watching. And that is where my first point comes from; WCW had such an embarrassment of wrestling riches back in these days that it is almost ridiculous to think that they could squander such a huge array of talent. At this PPV, you had the likes of Sting, Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Mr Perfect, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Ric Flair, Randy Savage, Scott Hall, DDP and Lex Luger. That's a who's who of wrestling greatness, quite frankly. The fact that WCW went from strength to strength with these names in their roster is no surprise The great surprise is how they let it get so bad that they had to fold. We all know the reasons but back in 1997, they had all the tools to really go the distance and they buckled. And that brings me on the next point...

This PPV exists in peaks and valleys, in terms of quality. The Cruiserweight match is incredible and probably the match of the PPV. The match between DDP and Randy Savage is also brilliant and takes the Cruiserweight match all the way in terms of competition. The good on this card is simply fantastic, it truly is. For someone who never really caught a lot of WCW and who didn't really know what it was all about, this was a truly eye-opening experience. I said it before but WCW was stacked with talent. So much so that all of the matches could have been very good on this card. But when it is bad, it is truly bad. So much has been said about the main event but words don't even do it justice. It is truly ridiculous. Terrible, even. I actually watched it twice and neither time it made sense. Really, really bad.

So that's it really. Coming from someone who doesn't have a lot of history with WCW, this review should be taken with a pinch of salt. I don't know what the average PPV looked like for WCW but this seemed very average in places. Like I said, there are two matches that really liven the PPV up and a couple of matches that kill its momentum. It's a shame really. After looking at the card, I was more than prepared to give this a fair shot. But that main event... Boy, oh boy.