Thread: Taking The Knee
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 02:44 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatehabsforever View Post
Didn't the Dallas Cowboys handle the situation perfectly last night? (Can't believe those words just came out of my mouth lol). Everyone has the right to peaceful protest for whatever it is they are in opposition to, real or perceived. So go ahead and take the knee, in advance of the playing of the anthem. But during the actual playing of the anthem, out of respect for the country, the military, the veterans, and their families and friends, stand up and be quiet and show a little respect for the flag.

I'm not saying these athletes don't have the right to protest peacefully. God knows they have the means at their disposal to do so. But during the three minutes out of the week when the anthem is being played and the eyes of the world are upon them, show a little respect. During the rest of the week, protest all you want. Appear on television, organize rallies, contribute some of the millions of dollars you earn in the USA toward whatever cause it is you support or oppose. Got no problem with that. But there is a significant chunk of people in attendance or watching on television that feel disrespected by protesting during the anthem. I think their feelings should count for something too.
I definitely see this side of it too. The problem, well not so much a problem as just choice, is that there are such different views on it. I was talking with my C.O. at work today about this thing, he was a veteran during the first Gulf War, and asked him what he thought about the whole thing and he said he was perfectly fine with them protesting because it's part of what he fought for, that while he didn't perfectly agree with it, being a real soldier to him meant fighting for the rights of everyone no matter if you like or agree with what they stand for or not.

I do agree though that the whole thing strikes me as more than a bit opportunistic. I might be wrong as I don't know what all these players do in their personal lives, but do any of them participate in protests? Have they helped organize peaceful protests regarding what's happened, such as Charlottesville? Do they actively participate in activities of various civil rights organizations? If the answer to those questions is no, then it makes their protest come off as a little hollow in my eyes, more of an opportunity to generate headlines. I'm not going to call these athletes heroes, as some have, because they're not heroes in my eyes; they're ultimately grown men who're making countless millions of dollars to essentially play a children's game for a living.

At the end of the day, I think part of what lies behind all this for black players, and blacks in general, is that the America I know as a white man isn't exactly the same they've known in all instances. I mean, I haven't been pulled over by the cops for "being in the wrong neighborhood", I haven't been stopped walking down the street because there was something "suspicious" in how I was walking, I haven't had some vigilante like George Zimmerman chase me down as though I've done something wrong just because of the color of my skin and his thought that he was justified in doing so.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote