View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 09:43 PM
Torn between Rooney & Kate Mara
WWE Champion

Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...

Annabelle: Creation- 8/10

It's not a rarity, but before Creation's release, the movie was sitting at a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes for a few days, but that rating dropped, fast. Creation currently holds a 68% on RT, and it's kind of hard to ignore the screwy system for the Tomatometer.

More reviews pour in over time, so there's a always a chance for the score dropping, and usually, the overall Tomatometer score for said film really isn't an accurate reflection for the collective reviews from the critics. If said film has a 95%, that doesn't mean the counted reviews are all overwhelmingly positive. A critic could give a 3/5 or a C+ for their review, and so many critics use different rating and grading scales, so it's basically impossible to condense everything into one single system

There's a good a chance I'll drop this to a lower score, when I buy the movie, but Creation really surprised me. Annabelle 2014 was a decent horror flick in my eyes, and I still don't understand all the hate against it. My only real complaint about the movie is, John and Mia are horribly bland and boring characters as the all-American 60's married couple. Well, that and the cringeworthy moment, when the demon disguises himself as Father Perez and shouts "MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL!"

Creation gives you characters you can care about, with a little more depth, and the movie features some good spooky and tense sequences and a lot of solid scares. Creation is definitely an upgrade over the original, and Annabelle really works as this creepy conduit of evil. On the surface, Annabelle looks harmless, and well, after all it's just a doll. But the complexion, the make-up, and sticking to a "things that go bump in the night" formula gives Annabelle the looming presence of a threat. She's not a harmless and innocent child's toy, because you know something evil is lurking beneath the surface.

After Creation, I don't think I need to see another horror film, where a demon or an evil entity vomits black goo into another character's mouth to posses them, and if we're looking further down the road, I'm not too excited about this planned cinematic universe for The Conjuring.

Annabelle 2014 was a prequel.....and Creation is a prequel to the 2014 film. I didn't stick around for the mid-credits or the post-credits scenes in the theater, but the post-credits scene teases the upcoming solo film for the main demon (The Nun) in The Conjuring 2. I just don't know what to expect from a cinematic universe for The Conjuring. What's going to happen? Ed and Lorraine unite with other priests from around the world to take down some super demon after four or five more films? Sorry, but that's not enough to blow my skirt up. Or maybe I'm just overthinking things, because creating more spin-offs, prequels, and sequels might work as a formula to keep fans interested and hooked in, without sinking the franchise with boredom after too many straightforward Conjuring sequels.

Atomic Blonde- 5/10

Charlize Theron delivers, as the fierce, ass-kicking assassin, but Atomic Blonde doesn't work without James McAvoy's performance. McAvoy plays this skeevy loose-cannon, and you're never really sure which side he's on, so it's a good guessing game before the big reveals at the end.

With all that said, Atomic Blonde is basically an average spy thriller with cool and stylish action. A good amount of entertaining action sequences, but it's nothing you haven't seen before, with Theron fighting her way through hordes of disposable henchmen, complete with bloody headshots.

The love story between Sofia Boutella and Theron feels forced. On one hand, I get the point behind feeling the need to humanize Lorraine (Theron). She falls in love, and she genuinely cared about another person, so she's not some cold-blooded killer with a black heart, but for me it's just one storyline too many. Hell, Atomic Blonde ends with a plethora of twists, so in the grand scheme of things, Lorraine falling in love with Delphine is insignificant.

But I'll say this, Atomic Blonde has a killer soundtrack. Atomic Blonde is set in the 80's, each track is a perfect fit, and Atomic Blonde probably features the best usage of I Ran (So Far Away) in a movie during the car chase.