WrestleZone Forums

WrestleZone Forums (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/index.php)
-   World Wrestling Entertainment (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Most Successful Non-WWE Wrestlers To Make It In The WWE? (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=337997)

Low_Ki 09-29-2017 03:11 AM

The Most Successful Non-WWE Wrestlers To Make It In The WWE?

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been done or if it should be in another part of the forum (apologies in advance), but I was thinking about this this morning.

Who is the best/most successful non-WWE built performer to arrive in WWE and build a legacy there?

Across the annuals of time, from my generation I'd have to go with AJ Styles.

Chris Jericho was also up there as well, but I just think with the crowds and audiences the way that they are in this day and age, AJ has created an amazing history for himself in WWE. That coupled with the fact that he was literally the face that built another place (TNA), it makes it all the more incredible.

What are your picks and why?

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. 09-29-2017 04:33 AM

Well one can argue that Balor, Owens, Nakamura, Styles, Rollins are all non-WWE made stars. Rollins was known as Tyler Black wasn't he? But yeah Styles is pretty high on the list.

However, the real answer is Brock Lesnar. And before you say that Lesnar was in WWE from 2002 to 2004, so WWE made him. Well, yeah, but UFC used that Lesnar. Then UFC turned Lesnar into a mainstream star and WWE used that mainstream appeal Brock had due to UFC. So in my eyes, the 2002-2004 Lesnar and the 2012 Lesnar are completely different. Lesnar made a name outside the bussiness and WWE capitalized on that.

Goldberg is also another name. He made a name in WCW. Then went in WWE for a year and beat Rock, Jericho, Triple H and Lesnar and also became the World Heavyweight Champion. That's pretty impressive. Is it more impressive than what Styles did? Well, it is.

wrestlingmasters55 09-29-2017 06:40 AM

Personally, I would go way back and I would go with macho man randy savage. If you remember savage was doimg this character in the memphis era for a while before signing with wwe. They took a guy that was a big name on the regional level and made him a absolute legend. Nobody pass or present as gotten to the level that savage got after leaving the territories or the indy's and while aj styles is coming along pretty well, he still not in savage's league.

My second choice would be daniel bryan, mostly because nobody thought that he would become the megastar he'd became.

Martin87 09-29-2017 09:37 AM

For me it would have to be Chris Jericho who is bonafide Hall of Fame material when he eventually retires. When he joined WWE (or WWF back then), i was unaware of Jericho but i have since become a fully pledged paid up Jericholic and eagerly await his next return.

Achievements:

Most reigns as Intercontinental Champion (9 times)
1st Undisputed World Champion
Invented Money In The Bank
And many more....

Feuds or storylines that stood out/entertained me;

His Y2J entrance
Kevin Owens
HBK
CM Punk
Every return he has made
The "legends" match at wrestlemania v Ricky "The Dragon"
Dean Ambrose
Christian
AJ Styles

tdmoon 09-29-2017 10:07 AM

Well, after arriving in the WWF, Hulk Hogan became quite possibly the most famous and successful wrestler of all time, so the obvious answer is Hulk Hogan. He was the champion and face of the organization for the best part of a decade and pivotal in the success of Wrestlemania. Steve Austin would be another strong answer and Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels deserve honorable mentions.

Razz 09-30-2017 10:20 PM

This topic is very open ended. It could be argued any guy who is considered top 10 in WWE history like Andre, Macho, Hogan, Taker, Bret, Shawn, Austin, Lesnar, Angle, Jericho, Punk, Daniel Bryan etc..Guys like AJ it remains to be seen what they do with him for the rest of his WWE career. Guys like Eddie/Benoit unfortunately had WWE careers cut short in tragedy.

Pretty much in the mid-late 90's when territories died out than WWE started developing their own guys that were considered green or didn't wrestle indies in places like USWA then to OVW, DSW, FCW, NXT etc. So I guess you couldn't consider a guy like The Rock non-wwe developed since he pretty much developed through WWE like Cena, Orton, Batista, Brock that whole class pretty much developed under WWE umbrella..

Dolph Ziggler's Gimmick 10-01-2017 02:30 AM

God, that's a tough one to think about. Especially considering the amount we've had just this decade alone.

Would Bret Hart count? Technically he was brought up in Canada with his Stampede Wrestling run, even if he gained his widespread popularity and acclaim in the WWF. And Shawn Michaels wrestled in AWA and NWA territories before being a WWF guy.

If you mean strictly someone who made a big, main event level name for themselves before entering the WWE/F, then I'd say so far it's a toss up between CM Punk and Bret Hart off the top of my head. Just based on their accomplishments and overall legacy, despite WWE's efforts to lessen it(Punk). Daniel Bryan also comes to mind, and like others mentioned AJ Styles is currently leading the pack when it comes to that.

ShinChan 10-01-2017 05:37 AM

I can talk mostly about the period which I've watched most. I will take this decade to see. And I can see only two and those are Daniel Bryan and CM Punk. Actual stars. AJ Styles is coming close, I guess.

But Bryan and Punk are the biggest stars of this decade i.e Post 2011. And both are non-WWE.

d_henderson1810 10-02-2017 07:00 AM

I'd say Goldberg, who was a top guy in WCW and is a two-time WWE Champion. Booker T has also done very well in both companies, and also "Nature Boy" Ric Flair.

I don't count Punk or Bryan, since most people don't watch indy wrestling, and the casual wouldn't have known them before they came to WWE. You could say Styles, but then that is to assume that anyone watched TNA, whereas Goldberg was on a show that outrated RAW 83 weeks in a row, so Goldberg was more of a household name.

BestSportsEntertainer 10-02-2017 03:44 PM

Hulk Hogan is probably the best answer. Obviously he's one of the biggest stars ever, but he was a star before he came to WWE. Also Ric Flair.

AJ Styles is probably the biggest recently, but his time in TNA just doesn't compare to Hogan and Flair pre-WWE.